2015-2016 NBA

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: 2015-2016 NBA

Postby Jay » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:21 am

Also, another thing that I thought of is that it might be the best strategy to do basic man to man defense. No one can man to man Steph Curry right now, so in essence you are forcing him to be a monster and wreck your team single handedly, which he has done in spectacular fashion, but I will take my chances against Steph Curry alone over taking my chances with an entire Warriors lineup of ridiculous ball movement.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:12 am

Impossible to run a complete man to man defense in the NBA anymore. People will run a pick and roll than people like Drummond will be covering Curry and you're fucked.

I feel like they've had too many close calls to really go 33-0. That would be insane though. They'll probably stack a few wins over the record though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:39 am

Then they should double team Barnes. He is shit at pick and roll.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:34 am

20-0, Curry scores 40 before the 4th quarter for the 4th or 5th time this year (only 1 other person has done it at all in the NBA this year, and then only once). Yep, I was right. This is history being made. It's actually gotten me to watch parts of some games, and everyone here knows basketball is normally WAY off my list of sports to watch.

Starting to think 34 game streak might be in play, you basketball types?
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:25 pm

It ends on Saturday. Game of the century. Raptors VS Warriors...
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:59 pm

If only we had goats to bet.

Toronto has a chance and they're one of the teams that can do it but I think the Cavs will take them down before they reach 34. Wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong though at this point.

I'm pretty sure they're gonna smash 72-10 though.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Zanchief wrote:It ends on Saturday. Game of the century. Raptors VS Warriors...

I think Zan would have lost his goats.... :rofl:

Close game, though!
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 am

Arlos wrote:

Close game, though!

Hate how it ended with the bad dribble and I feel bad for Lowry. Dude played in another dimension from his usual self and still lost in a close game. They even forced Curry to play the 4th quarter!

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:21 am

I now know a scenario that the NBA is probably privately salivating over.

The longest win streak is, of course, 33 games. If the Warriors can win their next 7 games to get to 32-0, there arises a somewhat spectacular scenario for the league and TV revenue. The game to go to 33 in a row and tie the record would be on Christmas day. Versus Cleveland. In Oakland. Can you IMAGINE the TV audience for that game? I would honestly be surprised if it did NOT surpass some Super Bowls. I hope it happens, it would be truly epic. rofl.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:08 am

Arlos wrote:I now know a scenario that the NBA is probably privately salivating over.

The longest win streak is, of course, 33 games. If the Warriors can win their next 7 games to get to 32-0, there arises a somewhat spectacular scenario for the league and TV revenue. The game to go to 33 in a row and tie the record would be on Christmas day. Versus Cleveland. In Oakland. Can you IMAGINE the TV audience for that game? I would honestly be surprised if it did NOT surpass some Super Bowls. I hope it happens, it would be truly epic. rofl.

Cleveland has some issues right now, primarily injuries but also coaching. They are playing without the discipline you see from Golden State. Lebron can still pretty much single handedly keep them in just about any game. Shumpert is the most underrated guy on the Cavs. When he's out, they are a different team. JR Smith remains as maddening as ever. Love needs to figure out his role.

The Raptors shoulda beat Golden State. Gotta make those clutch free throws!
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:48 am

Jay wrote:
Arlos wrote:

Close game, though!

Hate how it ended with the bad dribble and I feel bad for Lowry. Dude played in another dimension from his usual self and still lost in a close game. They even forced Curry to play the 4th quarter!

You haven't been watching Lowry play then. He's a really really good basketball player. Yes, career high and all, but this is who he is.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:20 pm

Zanchief wrote:
Jay wrote:
Arlos wrote:I think Zan would have lost his goats.... :rofl:

Close game, though!

You haven't been watching Lowry play then. He's a really really good basketball player. Yes, career high and all, but this is who he is.

His shooting can go into slumps but I never said he was bad. I felt like he was exceptional vs Golden State whereas he's just good for other games.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:37 am

That would be a poor assessment. He's been playing better than almost all other PGs in the league for two years now. His stats this year are better than Derrick Rose's in his MVP season. He's not a "good" player, hasn't been for a while now.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Twas a good run. Now all they have to look forward to is winning the title, beating 72-10, Curry's MVP, Draymond's Finals MVP. 33 in a row is still marginally possible though.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:51 am

Hey Zan, what do you think about Mark Jackson saying that Steph Curry is hurting the game?

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:01 am

I think it was kind of taken out of context. Pop made a similar comment a few weeks ago. The old school guys all kind of think this. A lot of them don't like the three point shot. I guess some of it could be bad blood, but I don't think much of it.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:44 am

I tend to agree with him but I think that people take his point out of context. He's not saying Curry is at fault, he's saying that young and amateur players' reaction to Curry's play will hurt the future of basketball. I think the same could be said about any "game breaking" player. MJ's flashy offense created a generation of players who ignored defense. Shaq broke the game for a time until they made rules to stop him. Even Steve Nash created a generation of point guards who caused unnecessary turnovers trying to hunt for assists. It's not that they did anything wrong, it's that people look at their specialization and think that's all you need when in actuality, Curry is a very complete player with a very complete team offensively and those things enhance his specialization.

Oh and in other non Warriors news, Rondo is starting to show flashes of brilliance again. Think he's gonna have another breakout? I really hope so. He's been one of my favorite players for a while.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:30 am

I kind of hate him (Rondo), and he plays for the kings so I don't really pay attention to him. The hate mostly comes from him playing for Boston and him being a prick (re: homophobic rant).
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:31 pm

That much I didn't know about. That's a shame because I just like how he thinks regarding basketball.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:27 am

OK, any new thoughts on this NBA season from you experts now that we're halfway through? Warriors are basically on pace to match or beat the Bulls' record still, which everyone out here who follows the Warriors is obviously nuts over, and the local newspaper columnists have been covering the season extensively, for obvious reasons.

So what do you lot think? Can the Warriors get to 72 or 73? Is San Antonio the only team in the NBA right now that could even potentially try and hang with the Warriors in a 7 game series? After all, if Cleveland is the best team in the East, and they just lost to the Spurs before getting eviscerated by the Warriors on their own floor, they really can't be seen as a challenge, right?
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:28 am

The best three teams in the NBA right now are obviously the Cavs, Warriors and Spurs. I would think the Spurs have a decent shot at beating the Warriors, with the Cavs being a bit of a darkhorse. The east doesn't have the advantage of having a cakewalk to the finals like it had in past seasons so it will probably be a West team that wins it all. I'm sure everyone in OKC is happy to have their team overlooked though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:21 pm

What do you think about the Cleveland drama and Blatt getting fired?
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:48 pm

Coaching isn't as important in the NBA as it is in other sports. That's a point that I picked up here on this board from Zan and Snerp that I agree with now. I mean, the Warriors have been coached for 40 like games now by their assistant coach. The coach's role is to provide strategic support while also wrangling young primadonna millionaires.

That being said, Blatt has no one's respect. You can argue that any major accomplishment he has states side is because he has the league's best player on his team. Lebron also tries to coach the team and take control of everything, to the teams detriment.

In contrast, Steve Kerr has everyone's respect. He's an NBA champ known for clutch shooting. He has the highest career 3pt percentage in league history (is that still true?). He retired and became a top level analyst. He's worked under Phil Jackson AND Gregg Popovich as a player. There's no doubt that he understands basketball. He also lucked out that in general, the Warriors players gel really well and all seem to be decent people who are incredibly focused. Steve is also smart in it that he's very open minded and will listen to anyone and gives his players the space to develop their own game how they see fit, then applies their game into his barrage of lineups.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Pretty much agree. Lebron is trying to distance himself from the decision which makes me think he actually had something to do with it. Lebron didn't like him, so he's gone. Some of his comments during the finals last year (re: Israel) irked me, so no loss to me.

I think players need to buy into coaches, and coaches can help in different ways, but I think their impact is not as important as other sports. The NBA is a players league.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:14 am

Zanchief wrote:Pretty much agree. Lebron is trying to distance himself from the decision which makes me think he actually had something to do with it. Lebron didn't like him, so he's gone. Some of his comments during the finals last year (re: Israel) irked me, so no loss to me.

I think players need to buy into coaches, and coaches can help in different ways, but I think their impact is not as important as other sports. The NBA is a players league.

I think the only exception to that rule might be Gregg Pop. He is the greatest mind in basketball and has done so much with so little. His ability to carry aging players past their prime into NBA championships against Lebron James and other superstar driven teams is incredible. He did just lose to the Warriors by 30 though. I dunno...the Warriors are just a disgusting team.

I am also a big fan of Larry Brown. That guy carried turds to the playoffs.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure