2015-2016 NBA

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: 2015-2016 NBA

Postby Jay » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Great game. Lebron is the king. Kyrie with that last shot omg.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:33 am

Didn't get to watch it, as I was out all day. Sad how it ended up. :( This places them firmly into the pantheon of soul crushing championship game disappointments with that Patriots team that was undefeated before the Super Bowl.

Kind of a rough few weeks in Bay Area sports here. Sharks lose in 6, Warriors lose in 7, the 49ers are arguably the worst run team in the NFL, the Raiders are meh and are leaving for Vegas next year anyway, and the A's are in last place. I wish I liked baseball enough to watch the Giants, as this is another even year, and they are in 1st in the NL West. Too bad baseball is probably less fun to watch on TV than even something as insipid as professional bowling.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:01 am

Story book ending. Gotta love it.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:16 am

What a series. Great win for Bron. I wonder what he does now.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:41 am

Arlos wrote:Didn't get to watch it, as I was out all day. Sad how it ended up. :( This places them firmly into the pantheon of soul crushing championship game disappointments with that Patriots team that was undefeated before the Super Bowl.

Kind of a rough few weeks in Bay Area sports here. Sharks lose in 6, Warriors lose in 7, the 49ers are arguably the worst run team in the NFL, the Raiders are meh and are leaving for Vegas next year anyway, and the A's are in last place. I wish I liked baseball enough to watch the Giants, as this is another even year, and they are in 1st in the NL West. Too bad baseball is probably less fun to watch on TV than even something as insipid as professional bowling.

This baffles me that any fan could miss game 7 of the NBA Finals when their team is in it.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:04 pm

I know a lot of people who never cared for basketball before that got really invested in the series and game, just because of the build and the compelling stories, so yea, it's weird if you call yourself a fan and didn't even watch the biggest of the season.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:44 pm

Also, the Raiders look pretty strong right now but that's for a different thread.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:14 pm

Jay wrote:
Arlos wrote:Didn't get to watch it, as I was out all day. Sad how it ended up. :( This places them firmly into the pantheon of soul crushing championship game disappointments with that Patriots team that was undefeated before the Super Bowl.

This baffles me that any fan could miss game 7 of the NBA Finals when their team is in it.

Because I'd made a prior commitment before the series even started that I couldn't get out of and that couldn't be put off.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:43 pm

I'd have PVR'd it and told my friends to shut the fuck up about the score.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Oh man how the world has turned on the Warriors and Steph Curry.

So far rumors are pointing at GSW getting Durant. I also hear that if they can't get Durant they will try and get Dirk Nowitzki.

Derek Rose to the Knicks for Calderon and Lopez. Ehhh. Not seeing much hope for Chicago right now =(

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Jay wrote:Oh man how the world has turned on the Warriors and Steph Curry.

So far rumors are pointing at GSW getting Durant. I also hear that if they can't get Durant they will try and get Dirk Nowitzki.

Derek Rose to the Knicks for Calderon and Lopez. Ehhh. Not seeing much hope for Chicago right now =(

Yeah, yeah, I know.... :rofl:
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 am

This is a really strange move by NY. I get Chicago. Derrick Rose isn't that good. He's lucky his MVP season was during the infancy of analytics, because he's one of those guys that doesn't do well with advance stats. He's a good player, but I've never been a huge fan of his.

NY is going all in on trying to get Durant. If they do, great, if they don't I suppose it's a one year rental so no big loss, but they always seem to do this. They go after big name players after they're washed up because of big name recognition. It never works out.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Durant is post prime but washed up is a bit harsh don't you think? Plus Lil B said he'd lift the curse on Durant if he went to NY =P

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Arlos wrote:
Jay wrote:Oh man how the world has turned on the Warriors and Steph Curry.

Yeah, yeah, I know.... :rofl:

I can't tell if you're actually asking or not. If you're not very knowledgeable about basketball this isn't a bad question.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:27 pm

I meant Rose was washed up, Durant still has plenty of ball.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:48 pm

So Skip Bayless is gone from First Take. I was just thinking to myself, I would really love it if he were replaced by Jeff Van Gundy. I think JVG is my favorite commentator now.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:22 am

Yea he's great. Did they fire him? Can they fire SAS at the same time?

Anyone watch any given wednesday? Not Simmons biggest fan, but I thought it was excellent.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Jay wrote:I can't tell if you're actually asking or not. If you're not very knowledgeable about basketball this isn't a bad question.

It was about 85% tongue in cheek. One of our main local sportswriters had an article about it, though, and he laid out a couple scenarios in which the Warriors could get both. (if Dirk is willing to take the mid-level exception or if Dallas wants to do a sign and trade for a trade exemption the Warriors still have, apparently)

Article here: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... -priority/

So, are the scenarios he paints in there at all realistic?
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:26 pm

all hi

What has been on my mind, to catch ya'll up:

First thought:
I'm so fucking glad GSW lost. Seriously I got so much fatigue from the 'perfect team' bullshit all season. Steph and his perfect fucking kid acting all cute in interviews... hitting half court shots with 27 people on top of him. ugh. It was a little sweet to see GSW lose after up 3-1 because in 2007, they did it to us (Mavs were 1 seed, first team to ever lose in first round to 8th seed, with the league MVP even). Steph reminded me of 2007 Baron Davis in the "how the hell did he make that shot???" bullshit.

Second:
Lebron in the finals was unreal. I've been an NBA fan for 25 years and I've never ever seen anything like it. My greatest finals games & performances that I got to watch: Tim Duncan in 2003 (21 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists, 8 blocks in a closeout game); Shaq in 2000 (38 pts & 17 rebound average for the series); Hakeem in 1995 (33 pts, 12 rebounds, 5 assists for the series, making young Shaq his bitch). None of these are even close to what Lebron did. Just completely in awe. Agree with Zan in the whole, "reminding the league that he's still the best player alive" bit. It's not even close. Like, I'd take a team of 5 cloned Lebrons over any single roster you could otherwise create. That's ridiculous and unprecidented.

Third:
Everyone shut the fuck up about Dirk leaving Dallas. That's all I'm going to say because the thought of thi
fuck all ya'll... he's not leaving

Fourth:
Back on GSW; If KD or any other top 20 player goes there, I lose all respect for em. The whole 'super team' bs is so fucking stupid and it has really turned me off these days. My favorite finals of the past 20 years were all underdogs vs star-laden teams. Detroit beating 4 first-ballot hall-of-famers in 2004. Dallas beating the super-friends in 2011. Cleveland beating the "most exciting offense ever!!!" in 2016. If KD joins that roster and they go on to win 87 regular season games.. yay for them. It's bad for basketball. It's no fun when the league is so top-heavy. The game was better when the fucking Kings had just as much of a shot as the Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, Nuggets, and Timberwolves (early 2000s, if you're wondering).

Fifth:
lolololol at LAC. Fuck those guys.

Sixth:
lololololololol at HOU. Fuck those guys... such a broken fucking organization.

Seventh:
Go Team USA. Pop at the helm. Kick ass. Melo is going to get his 3rd gold. Hate him in the NBA, love him for Team USA.

Eighth:
Honestly, the GSW hate only really showed up when their fucking owner did that interview where he said that they were light-years ahead of every other team. Fuck you dude, you've won 1 championship and got lucky as hell in the draft, playing in one of the biggest TV markets in the country. Look at what OKC and SAS have done and come back and brag about how perfect you are. Asshole. Fuck those guys.

Ninth:
Truth be told I only hate a few people in the league. None in Golden State. I just got burned out from the "feel good" bullshit spewed all season. My list of hated people is short. In no order past #2:

#1 Dwayne Wade
#2 Rajon Rondo
James Harden
DeAndre Jordon
Bruce Bowen
The City of Houston
Fair-weather Miami fans
All Philidelphia fans.
All teams in the Boston area.
People named, "Rod."

so yeah, I'm really a loving guy.

Tenth:
2016-2017
PG: Mike Conley
SG: Wesley Matthews
SF: Chandler Parsons (yay?)
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Hasaan Whiteside

yeah man...
Last edited by vonkaar on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:23 pm

I feel like I just saw a unicorn.

Sup Vonk. Feel about the same way. I actually really love Clay Thompson's game. I just can't stomach that team anymore. That same interview really pissed me off. I was so happy for Bron. I really feel he's exorcised all the demons from "the decision". Anytime Skip Bayless can look like more of a jackass is ok by me.

I don't think Dirk is leaving. It makes no sense at this point. I think he could start to be a real problem though. He wasn't a stellar defender, but he's likely going to start being in the really bad category in this phase of his career. The dirk window is closing quick. I've always got a soft spot for Dallas though. You been rooting for Portland at all now that you're in close proximity?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:54 pm

Zanchief wrote:"the decision"

lmao this is when i buried and eulogized any shit i ever could've possibly given about the NBA

no disrespect meant to anyone ITT at all (for once), keep enjoying your sport as long as it makes your hearts sing

but lmfao @ "the decision" c'mon
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:42 am

brinstar wrote:
Zanchief wrote:"the decision"

lmao this is when i buried and eulogized any shit i ever could've possibly given about the NBA

no disrespect meant to anyone ITT at all (for once), keep enjoying your sport as long as it makes your hearts sing

but lmfao @ "the decision" c'mon

This was the day I was pretty much like welp, fuck you Lebron.

Years later through all the whining and flopping I still hate him but at least I can acknowledge that he is the best. I was rooting for GSW but I'm disenchanted by fairweather fans. They come in to enjoy the glory but its the fans that stick with the teams when they are losing and keep money rolling in that enable them to be in a position to win.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:31 am

Jay wrote:I was rooting for GSW but I'm disenchanted by fairweather fans. They come in to enjoy the glory but its the fans that stick with the teams when they are losing and keep money rolling in that enable them to be in a position to win.

I sooooo agree. Dallas is really bad about this, especially for hockey. They follow the Cowboys and the sports radio talk is 55 minutes of Cowboys for every hour, even when the Mavericks or Stars are deep in the playoffs; conference finals even. So that's, deep in the Cowboys off-season... nothing is going on... and the Stars are one of the best teams in hockey. Let's talk about Jerry Jones' latest stupid quote about Romo being #1 in some stupid obscure stat instead. The counter to this, for me, has always been the Packers. Bottom of the barrel for long stretches in their history but they've sold out every single game for 43 years straight. Open field in Wisconsin t'boot! I don't feel the NBA has anything like this. The crazy loud and devote fans are always present in the winningest teams. Remember how scary the Kings cowbell crowd was in the early 2000s? Silence these days. The bright yellow, screaming crowds of Golden State were there in 2007 "I believe!!" but disappeared the following 5 years. OKC can brag about their fans, but they've also basically always won. Show me some fans that stay crazy in the bad times.

Yes, the decision was stupid. I only actually hated Lebron when he and Wade were hamming up for the camera making fun of Dirk's flu game. Classy. After he left Miami, I didn't really have a negative opinion towards him.

Also Zan, Skip is one of the absolute worst. I remember some time after 2007 when he went off on Dirk calling him overrated and 'not clutch'. Blahblah, whatever you think. But he quantified it a little bit by saying there were "at least 5 Europeans I'd put over Dirk, so this talk of greatest Euro or even greatest international player ever is completely ridiculous. Let's see... Gasol, Parker, Peja, Sabonis, and Divac. Dirk is in the Kukoc/Schrempf/Kirilenko tier." ah... ok. In 2011, he admitted being "surprised" about Dirk.

Dirk has now lived in Dallas more than he lived in Germany. He has a wife, 2 kids... very happy here in DFW. The biggest worry is if/when Cuban and Nelson completely fuck up our off-season and expect Dirk to play with 7 rookies on the roster. And, for all of our big-fish free-agent targets, they have to sign first before they can sign Dirk... so... it's a huge fucking test for Cuban. EVEN SO, I can't see Dirk leaving unless it's just a completely fucked off-season. Also LOLZ at the idea that he would play center off the bench in Golden State.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:03 pm

Toronto's fans have been crazy for the last 20 years and the team has been horrible. It's mostly because we don't know any better though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Zan: Why is Matthew Dellavadova worth 38 million to the Bucks?

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure