is there a single other person here who likes baseball

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: is there a single other person here who likes baseball

Postby Drem » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:20 pm

lol. nice on the Boston prediction tho. the ALCS is gonna be good
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:16 am

didn't think they'd sweep but yeah

speaking of sweeps i thought i'd be able to get the broom out last night but those fuckers just won't die

edit to avoid doubleposting: i mean yeah i figured on losing g3 with bum on the mound, but goddamn we almost rode arrieta's dinger right into the NLCS haha
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:54 pm

brinstar wrote:giants' biggest weakness is the bullpen

moore was lights-out all night. bochy leaves him in and we'd be heading back to wrigley for game 5 no question. it was just a bad gamble, like going to chapman for the six out save last night

hell of a series tho :kaos:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:17 pm

I'd call the Giants bullpen a dumpster fire, but dumpsters can actually close
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm

ooooooo that's cold

they did great in g3 tho - bum exited in the what, sixth? so aside from a dinger in the ninth they combined for like 6+ innings of shutout ball against the best record in the majors, that's pretty damn good no matter how you slice it. strickland in particular looked untouchable that night, i thought we were toast last night once he came in
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:54 pm

You don't need to defend em. The Giants are the worst. Actually the worst team in baseball this year for the second half of the season til those last three games. They've won three WS in the last six years and at no point would anyone call them the best team. They just get lucky around playoff time. Fuck em. No even year bullshit this time

All this is coming from a Detroit fan mind you. Happy the Cubs are kicking so much ass this year. Best team in the game right now imo, after like four decades of garbage
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:57 am

How different is the Giants' 2nd half if THEY are the ones to acquire Chapman, and not the Cubs? Suddenly the giants don't have closer issues, the bullpen slots better, etc. Probably Giants win the division then, don't even see the Cubs until the NLCS, and it's a very different series than what just happened. No clue why they didn't do it, but then again, you all know how little attention I pay to baseball until it's even year playoffs for the giants. rofl
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:54 am

Drem wrote:No even year bullshit this time

yeah i will freely admit to feeling a sense of schadenfreude at them getting knocked out. it's not personal against the players or even individual fans (part-time or otherwise), it's just this thing i have against dynasties - winning a lot in a short period of time fosters entitlement and smugness in the fanbase as a whole, which i cannot tolerate

perfect example is the bosox: they win in 2004, awesome, congrats, you broke your "curse", happy for you! 2007 ring? meh. 2013 ring? fuckin intolerable, get the fuck out my sight

so yeah, 2010? cong u~! 2012? meh. 2014? okay fuck off with the "even year magic" shite and your elimination game streak. someone had to put them down, might as well be us

Drem wrote:after like four decades of garbage

seems like it yeah but most of the last 20 years have been pretty good on a whole - NLDS in 98, NLCS in 03, NLDS in 07-08, NLCS in 2015, at least the NLCS in 2016, never more than 6 or so years without a postseason. before that it was the 80s i think, and before that it was the 40s haha

dude over at 538 said the NLDS was too early for the cubs to piss away the season because it wouldn't hurt enough lol
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:28 pm

omg that Montero grand slam whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 am

me: wait heyward is in a slump why are they walking him and pitching to javy
dodgers: *induces javy popout*
me: oh huh that worked out, damn
dodgers: *pitch out to coghlan*
me: seriously they're loading the bases just to force chappy out?
dodgers: *two strikes on montero*
me: alright fair enough, probz extra innings
montero: *fuckin granny*
me: WHAT
montero: *trots*
blanton: FUCK
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:50 pm

latest predictions:

toronto avoids the sweep, but cleveland clinches in game 5

cubs have been squeaking by on overperformance from the bottom of the order, but unless something snaps the rizzo/zobrist/russell offensive slump, this one's going to get away from us. with a heavy heart, i predict dodgers in 6.

not making a WS prediction right now as i haven't actually watched any cleveland games - but they sure do seem red hot at the moment
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:39 pm

yep cleveland took it in 5

happy to be proven wrong by my cubbies, tonight's win was huge and now we go back home for game 6

kershaw vs hendricks will be a brilliant matchup, but rizzo/russell finally woke up and went on a major tear - so i think if we can chase kershaw before the 6th we can put it away
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:53 am

LETS GO CLEVELAND
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:31 pm

sad little man
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:09 pm

brinstar wrote:kershaw vs hendricks will be a brilliant matchup, but rizzo/russell finally woke up and went on a major tear - so i think if we can chase kershaw before the 6th we can put it away

you can call me the oracle now

cubs in 5
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:24 am

LETS FUCKING GO CLEVELAND!! 2 TITLES THIS YEAR LETS DO THIS!

brinstar wrote:sad little man

No denial. That being said, FUCK THE CUBS!
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:11 pm

y tho

stepbrother complex?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Wasn't Jay just going at Arlos in the basketball thread about being "the worst kind of sports fan"
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 pm

1-1, time to bring it home

we're gonna take g3 and g5, only real question is whether we can roll up on kluber in g4 or if he shuts us down again

otherwise we're gonna have to molon labe their asses in g6
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:37 am

Drem wrote:Wasn't Jay just going at Arlos in the basketball thread about being "the worst kind of sports fan"

Yes, for daring to profess the potential of supporting any team other than the 49ers, even if they are a local team. (the Raiders' stadium is actually almost exactly as far away as the 49ers' stadium is, within 1/2 mile, but apparently desiring to cheer for them makes me a terrible person. :dunno: The logic of this still escapes me, but whatever. :mystery:)

Not that it matters much, the 49ers' terrible ownership has utterly killed my interest in football in general. I think I've watched 5-10 minutes total so far this season, if that.

This article is spot on comparing the 49ers' ownership to the old owner of the Warriors, Chris Cohan, who was the primary reason they were so terrible for so long: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... icant-way/

Amusingly, the 49ers finished dead last, 122nd out of 122 teams in ESPN's overall rankings of all of the teams in the 4 major North American sports leagues: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1783 ... -standings

That ranking is accurate, and very well deserved. The 49ers aren't going anywhere until the Yorks sell to someone with an IQ higher than their shoe size.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:24 am

i never quite got why it is that people pick the closest team to root for, like what if you move?

on the other hand i have never lived anywhere that had a major sports team (unless you count the NU football team, and i don't) so i'm sure it has something to do with not having had that experience

i picked up the cubs because in the 80s (before they had night games at wrigley) our dad and i would spend summer afternoons watching nearly every home game on WGN. only other option on our small-town cable was TBS and the braves, and fuck that noise. most of my friends grew up either royals fans (since KC is so close) or cardinals fans. i grew up a baseball kid and played whenever i could, and the chicago team at the time was full of great dudes - mark grace, ryne sandberg, shawon dunston, andre dawson, greg maddux, rick sutcliffe, jerome walton, etc - so that really had a shaping effect on my sense of sportsmanship. they won some, they lost some, but always had fun and smiled and hustled

i like plenty of other teams (twins, royals, tigers, dodgers, mariners, rockies) and there are teams i don't like so much (braves, yanks, cards) but i don't think there's any team i actually hate. like, why waste the energy? there should be so much love in your heart that there's not enough room for hate
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:25 am

don't the 49ers have Chip Kelly coaching now? he used to be so good when he coached U of O. can't seem to cut it in the NFL tho

ya i'm like you alex, i got nothing around here except the Blazers and the Timbers up in Portland and I'm not into NBA much so ya, all i can do is go to soccer games. and i can catch Oregon Ducks and Eugene Emeralds games for baseball so that's nice. sports aren't so big in Eugene aside from Oregon football. i actually just found out that Inter Milan and Paris Saint-Germain came to Autzen stadium (the Ducks' stadium here in Eugene) last July for a pre-season exhibition game but the marketing was horrible no one knew about it, didn't even sell half capacity. kind of a shame imo
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:02 pm

holy fuckin shit
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:30 pm

ya wow. I always love it when we get a game 7. Here we go!
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Top of the 9th-- wooooowwwwwwwwwwwww
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure