NBA 2017-2018

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

NBA 2017-2018

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:50 pm

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!! WHY GOD WHY!!! YOU'VE PUNISHED US ENOUGH FOR ALL THOSE YEARS OF HAVING MICHAEL JORDAN!
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: NBA 2017-2018

Postby Arlos » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:29 pm

SI did grading of each team in the draft:

Chicago:
Chicago Bulls | Grade: F

Pick: Lauri Markkanen
Trade: Jimmy Butler and No. 16 to Minnesota for Kris Dunn, Zach Lavine, and No. 7 pick

What is happening here?

Twitter - Nick Friedell ✔ @NickFriedell
Definitely a feeling of excitement from Bulls executives right now. They will always respect Butler, but they believe in the new direction.
5:53 PM - 22 Jun 2017
75 75 Retweets 261 261 likes

It's almost like Chicago management exists in an alternate world. Sometimes that meant trading multiple picks to bet big on Doug McDermott. Other times it meant lowballing Jimmy Butler in contract talks a few years ago. More recently it meant selling the world on the Three Alphas, then trading for Michael Carter-Williams and Cameron Payne just a few months before they add one more overwhelmed former lottery pick in Kris Dunn.

I don't know. Whatever you thought of Butler's future in Chicago, it's hard to believe that the Wolves package was the best the Bulls could've gotten for him, particularly if you include February's Celtics talks in the discussion. It's even harder to understand what Chicago sees in Dunn, a player who struggled for almost the entire season last year. At 23 years old he was supposed to be ready to contribute immediately, and he wasn't. He probably still isn't. LaVine is coming off an injury. He's at least got some upside.

But then they used the No. 7 pick on Markkanen, in part because they already have Dunn, Carter-Williams, Jerian Grant, and Payne on the roster. They've made so many bad calls at point guard that I guess they didn't feel comfortable drafting a potentially good one (like Dennis Smith). I like Markkanen more than most, but he needed the right situation to develop gradually in a system that plays to strengths. Is Chicago that situation?

This grade isn't about the pick, and it's not even about the trade. I hope Markkanen succeeds and Dunn surprises people. But it's about the Bulls generally. It always feels like they're three steps behind the smartest teams in the league, and they don't seem to have any coherent plan beyond staying just competitive enough to turn a profit. There are teams that have been worse over the past few years, but it's hard to find a team that's been more frustrating. If you know a Bulls fan, hug that Bulls fan.

Warriors:
Golden State Warriors | Grade: A

Pick: Jordan Bell

Jordan Bell was arguably the best defensive prospect in the draft. It was him or OG Anunoby. Anyway, he'll be awesome defending pick-and-rolls as a small ball center, and now that he's on the Warriors, it doesn't even matter that he can't really score. This feels like the Pat McCaw pick, Part Two. Life is not fair.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:13 pm

What really breaks my heart is that the Cavs came for Jimmy Butler as well and he turned them down and stayed loyal to Chicago before they decided to trade him for trash prospects. I'm gutted by this.

All that being said, I will remain a big fan of Jimmy Buckets and I hope he gets a title and all treatment and respect he deserves that he never got from Chicago's front office.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:13 pm

Kyrie to Boston!

Looks like Boston and Minnesota have made my watch list. GSW still too good though. They'll probably end up in the finals again vs Lebron.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

Excited to watch the Bulls this season!

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Sports and LEEZure