NBA talk

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Who will win the West this year?

Poll ended at Fri May 14, 2004 9:34 am

Dallas
14%
L.A. Lakers
14%
Memphis
3%
Minnesota
11%
Sacramento
19%
San Antonio
14%
Other (please explain)
27%

Total votes : 37

NBA talk

Postby vonkaar » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:34 am

Alright... what does everyone think will happen in the playoff race?

My predictions:

The East doesn't matter. The finals will between Detroit and Indiana and I think Detroit will win. I say it doesn't matter because any of the top 5 teams from the West will cruise over anybody from the East in a 5 game victory in the finals.

The West will finish like so:

1. Sacramento
2. San Antonio
3. L.A. Lakers
4. Dallas
5. Minnesota
6. Houston
7. Memphis
8. Portland

Denver will not make the playoffs because they have a much harder schedule than Portland. Portland has done well against the big teams, although 5 of their last 6 are against top West teams. That might get ugly.

Minnesota and Memphis have the toughest schedules ahead of them. Minnesota has been playing like crap lately and don't have the best record against the top teams in the West. Memphis HAS been playing well but their schedule seriously is quite frigtening. Minnesota's schedule is worse, but they are a better team than Memphis... so... this is why I have both of these teams falling off in the standings.

San Antonio has a decent schedule ahead of them. They'll likely lose a few games but they've done remarkably well without Tim Duncan. The fact is, Tim will be back soon and they'll start destroying things with him. They'll pass Minnesota before March is through.

L.A. has a fairly easy schedule. Plus, they play as well as anyone against the 'best' in the West. They'll have no problem getting the #3 spot.

Sacramento is a scary scary team. My only hope is that Memphis will drop to the #8 spot and will draw Sac in the first round. Sacramento is 1-3 against Memphis and each loss was a tough one. Memphis really *could* derail the Kings in the first round. That would allow for MY team to cruise all the way to the end =p.

Aaaaand then you have the Mavs. For some reason, NOBODY has given us any credit this season. We've been better than ANY team in the West when playing the TOUGH teams. Up until Walker started playing like shit, we were on a tear throughout the standings. STILL, nobody gave us any credit. Dallas has the most laughable final 16 games in the league. We play Sac and Indiana. That's IT. Houston, I guess... but that's no big deal. We really could finish the last 20 games 18-2. It will likely be 16-4 but that's still plenty of momentum going into the playoffs... especially considering the fact that every other team will be hurting over their (relatively) TOUGHER schedules.

My prediction: The Western Conferance finals will be between any two of Dallas, Sacramento and San Antonio.

My POLL:
Who will win the West this year?
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby labbats » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:00 am

Sacramento doesn't have the heart to win it all. They're like Portland.

Chris Webber isn't the leader to take them to the top, Bibby has taken that role and he's good at it. But they need Webber to step up too, which he isn't capable of in the big game.

The Lakers will find a way. After last year, they got their taste of defeat and are doing well. That's not to say that giving up Horry was a good idea. I cringed at that.

You're right about the East though, but I'll say that the Nets will take the East title again. Detroit has a good chance. It's good to see that rebounding is taking them far again.

If I had my way, Minnesota would win it all. I got the chance to see them from good seats recently and was very impressed. Not to mention I love the work ethic and determination of Garnett. He deserves better, and doesn't complain about "cow towns" like that fag Webber. When I lived in Sacramento he dropped that pathetic line, and that's why they ring those damned cow bells every home game. Garnett is stuck in Minnesota for fuck's sake, and he complains little if any. The media creates his whining, Webber is just a bitch.

*Sorry, I don't respect Webber for lying about the Michigan State fiasco and for everything else up to that point. The man was a god in Sacramento, and he didn't deserve any of it.*
labbats
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby Muglack » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:31 pm

I voted other because BASKETBALL IS THE SECOND WORST SPORT ON EARTH! I WOULD RATHER WATCH CRICKET THEN THIS HORRIBLE WASTE OF TIME.

in case you were wondering, soccer is the worst.
Muglack
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Emongmai » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:49 pm

Memphis is the surprise of the year. They may not make the finals, but they should do well in the playoffs. I am biased so i picked memphis.
Emongmai
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby labbats » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:56 pm

Memphis could make it, but it's a long shot.
labbats
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby brinstar » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:30 pm

voted other (harlem globetrotters)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drunnken » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:58 pm

First of all, you say the Twolves have been playing poorly lately, have you seen the Mavs? Yes, you have. They couldn't look much worse if they tried.

I honestly think that the Lakers have the best chance of winning, probably like 33%. Sactown has been looking great though, their team is solid, and whoever was talking about Webber and Bibby, did you forget about Peja? The man's a scoring machine. Bibby has been steppin it up too.

If the Mavs keep playing like this they won't even make the playoffs (unless they have a lock already, I don't look at schedules so I don't know).

I like to watch Houston games, Steve Francis and Yao are who I root for, but I don't think they have playoff hopes for at least a couple more years.

SA are playing so well without Duncan maybe they should change his role when he comes back. If they go back to the same old feed Duncan, everyone block Duncan role they will be less dynamic imo after the way they've been playing without him.

Portland and Memphis, yeah right who cares.

I threw my vote up for Minnesota, one because I grew up there, and two because Garnett is a motherfuckin monster. He goaltends shots after the whistle, what a bastard. Plus I've always liked Sam Cassell cause he's so damned ugly, and Sprewell is the ghettoest nig on earth. I think their chances aren't that high, but I will root for them. I'll also be rooting for Sacremento, because their team is solid, I like Peja and my roommate likes Bibby, and they're fun to watch.

Lakers 33% chance to win
San Antonio 20%
Sactown 15%

the rest who knows?
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby labbats » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:35 pm

I was talking about Bibby and Webber. I didn't mention Peja because he's not worthy of mentioning. He has a pierced ear with a 3 karat diamond in it while half his hometown starves. He can't pull off a championship, is a good shooter, but fragile. And his wigger routine is so obviously forced it's laughable.
labbats
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:18 pm

Who gives a fuck?

March Madness and the real basketball league is playing. The one people give a shit about.
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drunnken » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:31 pm

every NBA player has massive bling bling in their ears, pay attention, pretty soon Yao will be wearing 10 carat diamonds

anyone else notice that just about every team has a first or second year eastern european guy in their first or second string now? there must be tons of scouts out there. who the hell gives money back to their home country besides Dikembe Mutombo anyway? half the black guys in the NBA's hometown's are starving too, it's called the ghetto, and they're wearing even bigger diamonds, who gives a fuck?

NCAA is like watching NBA with less skilled players and lots more heart, and eight million more games, i'll pass
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby labbats » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:48 pm

Fuck that comment. March Madness ownz.

I'm off Wednesday to drink green beer, board a plane for Vegas, and gamblegamblegamble. Sin City indeed!
labbats
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby Zanchief » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:11 pm

The East doesn't matter. The finals will between Detroit and Indiana and I think Detroit will win. I say it doesn't matter because any of the top 5 teams from the West will cruise over anybody from the East in a 5 game victory in the finals.

Sacramento aside, Detroit is as good, if not better, then the rest of the east. With the exception of MAYBE San Antonio with Tim Duncan.

Portland is lame, they're gonna lose a lot of games in the last weeks of the year.

Memphis won't be able to keep it up.

Lakers are a big question mark. They thought they were getting an all-star point guard, instead they got a guy that doesn't know how to run the triangle. They didn't learn anything from their loss last year. Just as much drama as always in LA. I'll root for the clippers thanks.

Dallas is lame, all that scoring and they still can't rebound.

Minnesota will be a tuff play-off team but they can't beat Sacremento.

Houston is a mess, they need to trade Steve Francis and get a quality guard in return. That guy is a bum.

AS FOR THE EAST.

Detroit will win. They will play Sacramento in the Finals. Series will go to 6 games atleast, 7 games very likely. Will be the most competitive finals in years.
Zanchief

Postby Metranon » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:55 pm

Harlem Globetrotters are the only team that matters, they are winning the poll too!
Metranon
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby vonkaar » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:14 pm

Drunnken wrote:First of all, you say the Twolves have been playing poorly lately, have you seen the Mavs? Yes, you have. They couldn't look much worse if they tried.

If the Mavs keep playing like this they won't even make the playoffs (unless they have a lock already, I don't look at schedules so I don't know).

If you actually think that losing AT HOME to Boston, Houston and Portland(twice) is the same as losing to San Antonio, Sacramento, Houston and Minnesota ON THE ROAD then your opinion on the NBA playoffs is pretty pointless. I have to point out the fact that Dallas' offense depends more on their point-guard than almost any team in the league. Nash is out, we lose. Nash plays poorly, we lose.

Zanchief wrote:Dallas is lame, all that scoring and they still can't rebound.

I don't mean to turn this into a "Vonkaar defending his team" thread but...

Did you even look up the stats before you said that? We are the #2 rebounding team in the league... only Cleveland grabs more than us. If you edited that comment with 'Sacramento' in place, it would make sense. They are the #1 offense (we are #2) and are #20 in rebounding. Dallas is #2 offense, #2 rebounding, #6 assists, #3 free throw%, #4 field goal%,#11 in blocks, and we turn the ball over less than ANYONE in the game.

In addition... we do all of that without playing dirty. Only Sacramento and Portland commit less fouls than Dallas.

NOBODY gives Dallas any fucking credit... I swear. We are basically done with the 'best in the West' and we won more than anyone else. We have a better percentage than ANY team in the West (okay, only 1% over Minnesota, but they have a LOT of tough games against these 'best' teams... we are basically done).

Look up the stats between the Lakers, Spurs, Kings, Twolves, Rockets and Mavs against each other. Wanna know how the record stands?

Dallas is 11/7 (61%)
Minnesota is 9/6 (60%)
Sacramento is 7/5 (58%)
San Antonio is 6/9 (40%)
L.A. is 6/9 (40%)
Houston is 5/10 (33%)

Yet... nobody gives Dallas any credit. We HAVE played the best out there and we have won more against them than they... yet nobody notices. We are a top team in so many categories... Dallas only loses to throwaway teams, and we haven't really done that since December. We beat the best and lose to the worst. Otherwise, we'd have another 60 win season.

All of the other supposed 'best' teams battle each other and often lose. Dallas plays them, and wins. Plus... we did it with one of the shittiest scheduling blunders in Dallas history. Every single game against Minnesota was a second-part of a back-to-back while Minnesota had a day off prior to the game. EVERY TIME. Yet, we split the games. WHERE IS THE LOVE???

Really, the numbers are heavily in Dallas' favor. The *only* argument that I'd have problems with is simple playoff experience. This is where the Lakers and Kings will be so much stronger than the Mavs. Plus, unless Dallas can snag some home-court for the playoffs, we'll be playing where we seriously suck... on the road. Those two points (and maybe the Walker situation) are really the only negative aspects of our playoff hopes.

Regardless... 99% of the 'bad' things I read about Dallas are completely unfounded. Rebounding? Hmm... that's wrong...

Okay, I'll stop. I'll admit that Dallas is more of an underdog than my numbers make it appear... but we aren't the 'first round knockouts' that so many people are painting us to be.

Now... next year... we'll trade Jamisson, Walker and Najera to Orlando for T-Mac and Dallas will be the most unstoppable offense in the history of the NBA. 120ppg! Just you watch! (listen to my prayer oh master Cuban)
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:47 pm

Everyone who follows basketball knows that Rebounding is not a stat that you can just look at the numbers for. Sacramento is a shitty rebounding team because they don't miss many shots.

But you're right I haven't watched many Dallas games this year. I was a huge Steve Nash, Dirk Nowistky and Mark Cuban fan last year, but haven't given them much time this year. Maybe it was their slow start or because they picked up Walker, one of my least favorite players after Steve Francis and the Rapster himself, Kobe.

But all that being said, I think Sacramento is a MUCH more talented team. And you have to admit with the adition of Rasheed Wallace detroit is looking pretty strong in the east. Now they have 2 very mobile defenders/rebounders which works great in Larry Brows system. You would be a fool too overlook the east.

Oh and Raptors are going all the way.......to another lotery pick. Maybe they can get another gem like Bosh.
Zanchief

k

Postby Gaazy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:05 pm

the clippers will make a turn around and win it all

!
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:20 pm

I think that even if every top team in the west lost every single game from here on out and the Clippers won their last games, they'd still fail to make the playoffs.

Zanchief... I agree on both points... I *do* think that Detroit is the deepest team in the East. I just think that any one of 4 or 5 West teams can beat them. I'm more confident that Dallas could beat Detroit than they could Indiana. But L.A., San Antonio, Sac or Minnesota should all be able to beat either team quite easily.

Sac is a really scary team... as I said above. The fact that they did so well without Webb is frightening.

So.. so..? Anyone agree on my t-mac prediction? Or... is it so outlandish it's not even worth commenting on? ^_^
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:27 pm

Not happening, we lost T-Mac once and I stoping pinning for him long ago.

Free agency will be your best bet, I dont see Orlando giving up T-Mac unless they get a super star in return, Kobe for McGrady anyone?
Zanchief

Postby Drunnken » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:44 pm

It seems like all we get around here is Dallas and Houston games, I live in Arkansas, for now. I've got nothing against Dallas, my roommate hates Newitzki (I don't care how it's spelled) and Nash, but I think Newitzki (I saw pictures of him so drunk i respect him) is alright and Nash can ball, no question (he does look like eurotrash though). Cuban is the shit ownerwise too.

Dallas is a contender, don't get me wrong, but anyone that isn't super biased that has seen their last six or so games can tell they're off. While this doesn't mean much when it comes to playoffs, the Lakers are always off all season, it just didn't look too good to me. I will recognize that Dallas does seem to be everyone's favorite team to hate on, after SA and the Lakers. I LOVE to rag on SA when they play, I wonder if Duncan even likes white girls? :twisted:

I feel shitty even fencing Minnesota arguments because, for some ungodly reason, we've only gotten three or four of their games since I moved here (getting league pass next year fuck this).

Fuck you Steve Francis is cool, but Houston needs to work on feeding Yao (he's finally getting agressive).

Where TMac and Kobe go should be pretty interesting.

Finally, I wish I could go back and change my vote to Sactown after hearing the stupid shit people are saying about them. They've put on some of the best games I've seen this year. They have enough decent players that they might even be able to contend with injuries. Their team is solid, they can make free throws like a bastard, people should fear when their team plays them in the playoffs.
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drunnken » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:46 pm

and dammit Vonkaar, you almost got me going to nba.com to look up win/loss spreads for each of these teams to make a concise argument
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:50 pm

Fuck you Steve Francis is cool, but Houston needs to work on feeding Yao (he's finally getting agressive).

He's a fag. That team would be up there with the elite in the west with a descent guard. Mobley is pretty good, but Francis is a loser, not to mention him refusing to play in vancouver.
Zanchief

Postby vonkaar » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:53 pm

Francis isn't even a top 5 guard IMO...

It would go something like,

AI, Jason Kidd, Nash, Sam Cassell and maybe Marbury. Payton is a washed out has-been whiner that needs to retire and wait for his hall-of-fame nod. Baron Davis is *great*, he just needs some years under his belt. I think that the league is looking GREAT for guards lately... we should be 'set' on talent for a few years of exciting games... T.J. Ford and Kirk Hinrich make perfect examples.

BUT anyway... keeping it in perspective... even when Dallas was winning all throughout Feb and even when L.A. was struggling through the injuries and lack of effort, I *still* said that L.A. is a huge threat. Not because I'm captain obvious... just... they are simply a *great* playoff team. People talk about teams that have experience with victory... L.A. is chock-full of veteran playoff winners. This is where Minnesota, Memphis, Houston and Denver are going to struggle. NOTHING would make me happier than seeing Minnesota fall in the first round again. I wouldn't even mind if Dallas loses in round one, as long as Minnesota goes down too =p.

San Antonio is a great team... I *do* think that Sacramento is the top team in the league, but not off their bench. I would say that Minnesota has the most depth. Sac has an extremely scary front-line, but I'm not so scared of their back-line. Dallas is the same way... we don't have the most amazing reserves, even though we *do* have a lot of talent. Although... our rookies own all of yours. Name one other top 10 team that has 2 rookies that constantly show up on the 'got-milk' top ten list. Haw!

K... off track... anyway...

Yao owns. His potential is endless.

Houston will be a great team, but unless they get some 'explosive' offensive presence, they'll simply be another 'good' Western team for the next few years. I don't see any championships any time soon.

Hmmm... what else?

Minnesota sucks.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby labbats » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:54 pm

Houston is the new San Antonio

They win, but they're fucking boring to watch
labbats
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby Zanchief » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:13 pm

You have to split the point guards from the 2 guards. How can you compare T-Mac and Jason Kidd

Top 5 Point Guards
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Mike Bibby
Sam Cassell
Baron Davis

Top 5 Shooting Guards
Kobe Bryant
Tracy Mcgrady
Vince Carter
Stojakovic
AI

As for the Lakers. If they make it to the finals only the Pistons have the size to beat Shaq, anyone else will get spanked. Sacramento has the size and talent to beat them, Minnesota does not. San Antonio I'm not sure yet, I just don't think their additions make up for David Robinson.

I just watched Houston blow a lead and lose to the worst team in the league, needless to say they didn't look good.

As for rookies, Josh Howard has looked good but top 10 in this rookie class? I wont even talk about Stefensson.

Top Rookies
LeBron
Carmelo
Bosh
Wade
Heinrich
Hayes
Ford

Maybe you could put Howard here, but I just don't see him beeing a quality guy down the road. The rest of that list is gonna be the all-star team in a few years. Howards a 6th man on an average team.
Zanchief

Postby Drunnken » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:03 pm

Like I said before, I think Houston needs a year or two more to ferment before they'll be a real contender....

especially after watching them lose to the Suns, who have nobody
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Next

Return to Sports and LEEZure