NBA talk

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Who will win the West this year?

Poll ended at Fri May 14, 2004 9:34 am

Dallas
14%
L.A. Lakers
14%
Memphis
3%
Minnesota
11%
Sacramento
19%
San Antonio
14%
Other (please explain)
27%

Total votes : 37

Postby vonkaar » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:07 am

Ya'll watching the Lakers game right now? Kobe vs T-Mac... they are neck and neck on basically everything.

Zanchief... I've always thought of AI sorta like Jason Kidd... maybe because he's so short. Jason Kidd is a PG that shoots like a shooting guard. AI is a SG that defends like a PG. So... that's why he's on my list that's basically PGs. Also, fuck Bibby. He doesn't belong on that list =p.

If you saw the number of Mavs games that I have, you'd be more impressed with Howard. The numbers *will* express his game next year. And... even though it's not saying much, he's the best defender on the entire team.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

k

Postby Gaazy » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:18 am

sorry i still think the clippers will win it
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Zanchief » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:24 am

Back to Houston, the only game I saw live this year was the double over-time Chris Bosh hiting a three-pointer houston/Toronto game in November/December. That was an awesome game.

As for Kobe and T-Mac, I don't really care what they do this year, but I will be very curious to see where they end up next year. Both are just outstanding, on most days I would give the edge to Kobe but lately (maybe it's the rape thing) I just can't find myslef rooting for him.
Zanchief

Well...

Postby Jirig » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:37 am

San Antonio's gonna take it... but I live here, so I'm biased. :p

Wishing aside, I've always feared Dallas. Dallas has always been IMHO the most powerful team in the league.

Nowitzki is a MONSTER. Whether or not he's in the paint matters none. Everything that fucker puts up is GOLD.

Nash (and Van Exel, before he got traded) were clutch mofakas. I remember being courtside last season and watching us lose a 15 point lead simply because Nash and Van Exel caught fire in the third. I don't care HOW well your team is playing. When Nash gets on a streak, there ain't SHIT stopping him.

And last, but most certainly not least, Michael Finley. This man is god. I honestly don't think I've ever seen Finley cold. :x

As for the other west conference teams, I don't care much.

Minnesota has me slightly impressed... but Cassell / KG are very reminiscent of last season's Kidd / Kenyon... as much drive as they have, the rest of the team just don't cut it.

LA is just plain gay. I've never liked them. Shaq is a wall of meat. He doesn't possess any talent whatsoever. He's just a hulking giant who dominates everyone else.

GP is old and tired. 'Nuff said.

Bryant has had me on the edge of my seat since his rookie year. This kid is one of the more skilled players on the court today... and that's not my opinion, that's fact. :p

I have my money on either Dallas or San Antonio winning the west. :)
Jirig
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby vonkaar » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:03 am

Man... what a game last night. Somehow, Dallas' home record is tarnished by shitty teams...

5 losses now...
Hawks, Clippers, Lakers, Lakers, Pacers.

No big deal losing to the Lakers and Pacers at home. But... how the hell did we lose those first two? Regardless, last night was a great game. Down by 26 and we pull within 1 shot of winning it all... last second... I have to give it to Atlanta's defense in those last 10 seconds. That was beautiful. Fun time =p. I'm not so pissed because we've always had issues with Atlanta, for whatever reason... PLUS, Sac lost to the fucking Wizards, so my ego is saved *a bit*.

Anyway.... Jirig: good analysis on the Mavs =p. Losing Nick was a hard blow for we select few Mavs fans. We depend on Nash more than almost any team depends on a single player. The only other I could think of was Duncan, but they've done quite well without him. So... having Nick as a *great* backup for Stevie was a god(me)send. As it turned out, he was our best player in the post-season. I was more than a little scared when I saw our new PG roster. Best is a talented player... but he's not a playmaker like Van Excel or Nash.

But then... Nash was injured and Marquis "the man" Daniels stepped in and almost got a triple double two games in a row. That was nice ;p.

However, we *still* depend on Nash. Nellie is great at changing the flow of the play, on both offense and defense. Bradley and Najera are two very good 'sticky' defenders that can completely stop the momentum of a driving team. We just don't have that luxury on offense. If Nash is in, we make the plays. If he's out, we try our best.

Nowitzki was the best Euro player last year. He'd arguably lose that out to Peja this year... although that team was pretty stacked to give the ball to him, so maybe that shouldn't count =p.

Aaaaalright... I'm still going to say that Dallas is a strong team and should go far... but this totally depends on playoff positioning. Who do we get in the first round and where do we play? NOBODY wants to play IN Dallas, but we wouldn't mind playing in Arco, SBC or Nokia. Playing in Minnesota would be bad, although THIS time, we won't be constantly on back-to-back road games (fuck you NBA schedulers). So, yeah... give us Memphis, Denver, San Antonio... whomever. Home or away... just NOT Minnesota, IN Minnesota.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby catseye nameless » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:36 am

If indiana comes out of the east they have a shot at beating any of the west teams, not likely to happen but they have the best shot. Detroit has a good strong team, they're just not athletic. Noone wants a piece of cleveland right now, since getting rid of the 2 cancers miles and davis they've been in almost every game they've played. Lebron is as real as they come, boozer is the poor man's ben wallace with a much better scoring game...and ilgauskus is the best center in the east, and one of the best scoring centers in the league.
catseye nameless
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Spurs

Postby Jirig » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Yeah, when it comes to SA, we do depend on Duncan a little much... :\

But look at who we have backing him up... :p

You have Bowen who is deadly if left unguarded.

Parker is a little reckless, but he can deliver the goods without question.

Rose is a very aggressive player. Very solid all-around.

Horry is awesome. I'm really happy we got him. :)

Ginobili is the bomb. He's a clutch god... period. Defensively, Manu owns. He's a fuckin' THIEF. He averages 2 steals per game! Check this shit out... I dug this up on the nba.com statistics page: http://www.nba.com/statistics/default_4 ... Query.html

The one who really has me impressed this year, though, is Nesterovic.

When the Admiral retired, I thought we were done for. Granted, Dave's stats aren't the best. But he was the backbone of the team. I'm gonna miss him very much... He's the reason I actually started watching the sport some ten years ago. :\

But Nesterovic has definitely shown he has talent. He's one of the top offensive rebounders in the league. :p
Jirig
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby vonkaar » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:20 pm

Fuck.
Repeat.
FUCK
Bruce Bowen
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:21 pm

Sorry Cat but I'm gonna have to disagree with you, Detroit is VERY athletic. They have two very versatile defending big men. They can hold just about any team in the league to 80 points and have plenty of scoring. Boozer is good and Cleveland may be the team of tomorrow but they are not that dangerous this year.

Detroit is by far the best team in the east. I just watched em embarrass NJ, it was just sad.
Zanchief

Postby vonkaar » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:28 pm

I agree, but they still won't be able to take Dallas, Sac or L.A. I think they'd have no problems with SA, Minnesota, Denver(haha) or Memphis. They don't have enough of an offense to keep up with Dallas or Sac, and their one strong point 'size' is defeated by L.A. However, a series between L.A. and Detroit would be an outstanding bunch of games... highly entertaining.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:31 pm

I can't wait for the playoffs. I hope Toronto makes it in so I can atleast cheer them to there first round lost, but the Finals will be great assuming Detroit wins.
Zanchief

Postby Narrock » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:33 pm

The Kings will win because they live in MY town.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:34 pm

The Kings will win because they live in MY town.

Good point.
Zanchief

Dallas

Postby Sokritize » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:29 pm

I don't keep up with basketball because of my busy schedule, but from the games I have seen, Dallas is my vote.

Or maybe I'm voting because I live in Austin. /shrug
Sokritize
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Jirig » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:12 am

Fuck.
Repeat.
FUCK
Bruce Bowen.

Why? QQ

He was an integral part of last season's win. He puts up the numbers...

I'm just not understanding the h8. :\
Jirig
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Scoota McGee » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:58 am

Fuck.
Repeat.
FUCK
Bruce Bowen.

Bruce almighty is dogged defender and an awesome three point shooter. How the hell can a Dallas fan whine that Bruce is dirty when you have a player like Navraja?

San Antonio is always the most underrated team because people don’t give much credit to defense in basketball. Popavitch knows that while run-n-gun teams make Sport Center highlights, Defensive teams win championships.
Scoota McGee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:22 am

San Antonio is always the most underrated team because people don’t give much credit to defense in basketball. Popavitch knows that while run-n-gun teams make Sport Center highlights, Defensive teams win championships.

Larry Brown.
Zanchief

Postby Jirig » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:09 am

Well said, Scoota.

I'm not hating on Von or the Mavs in any way, shape, or form. Nay, in fact, I'm a big Dallas fan. I just didn't see the logic in hating Bowen. He's not MVP quality... but he's a stand-up guy on and off the court. :\
Jirig
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby vonkaar » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:40 am

Tell me that this isnt' cheap:
Oops! Sorry about that Wally...

There are 3 teams that boo him when he enters the court... he's dirty... WAY dirty on the court. I TOTALLY understand that this is just 'life' in the NBA, but even the players think he's dirty.

A quote from Nellie..
Don Nelson wrote:"You can put me down now as one of the many who have called him dirty," Nelson said. "I've never cast an aspersion toward Bruce Bowen – but he's a dirty player. And I'll remember it. I'm shocked he wasn't suspended."

From Finley:
Michael Finley wrote:"You look at Ben Wallace or Dikembe Mutombo, they don't ever play dirty," Finley said. "They get into guys in the flow of the game. But when you give a cheap shot away from the play, that's not basketball."

Another superstar in the NBA speaks out:
Ray Allen wrote:"I was at a point where I wanted to fight him," Allen said after Seattle's 96-90 defeat at KeyArena last month. "I wasn't thinking about playing basketball. I wanted to fight him."

He's cheap... He's a little guy that wants to get physical with bigger guys. Too often, it's key players that the opponent can't live without. He's thoroughly pissed off Wally Sczerbiack, Ray Allen, Vince Carter and now Michael Finley. None of those guys are known whiners... it's one thing if Barkley calls someone cheap, he wouldn't flinch at calling Mother Teresa cheap. Sure Ray and Vince are a little soft, but Finley? Finley NEVER snaps... he's one of the most calm and collected players on the court. He's also the cornerstone of Dallas' defense.

Najera isn't cheap... he's "Sticky" =p

In other news... Nellie was much less forgiving over our rare home loss to Atlanta (who have now swept the series with us... bleh). Check out what he said:
Don Nelson wrote:"Everybody's playing better, except us, it seems," Nelson said. "Last time I looked, Memphis is tied [before Thursday's loss to Seattle] with us. We're looking down, not up, at this point. We're trying to fend off Memphis, and I don't know if we can do it or not. I can't tell you we're better than Memphis."
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:24 pm

Bruce Bowen is tame compared to Dennis Rodman.
Zanchief

Postby Tuggan » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:49 pm

holy shit, they can jump kick motherfuckers in the face in basketball? imma have to start watchin that shit.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Jirig » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:06 pm

I have never seen or heard of that shit before... when did it happen ??

I'm gonna have to re-evaluate Bruce Bowen, I think. :evil:
Jirig
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Scoota McGee » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:15 pm

I missed the game last night... anyone get the score from the Spurs, T-Wolves game?
Scoota McGee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby catseye nameless » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:18 pm

I have never seen or heard of that shit before... when did it happen ??

have you ever watched any game he's played in?
catseye nameless
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Prospect » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:19 am

Knicks

1 word STARBURY
Prospect
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure