BCS Championship

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

BCS Championship

Postby Phlegm » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Ohio State vs. LSU
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: BCS Championship

Postby Reynaldo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:20 pm

They actually lucked out in the sense that this will be a decent game since LSU doesn't run the spread offense. It's a shame Dixon got hurt for Oregon. Would have been a repeat of last year.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Phlegm » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:49 pm

i think Missouri got screwed. They beat both Kansas and Illinois but got excluded from all the BCS bowls.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:52 pm

lol I didn't even realize that. Gotta suck to see a team you just beat not 2 weeks ago sitting in a BCS bowl (Kansas), and you have to go play in the shithole cotton bowl.

Man the BCS sucks....
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Ouchyfish » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Phlegm wrote:i think Missouri got screwed. They beat both Kansas and Illinois but got excluded from all the BCS bowls.

Yeah, sure, Missouri, Kansas and Illinois played some powerhouse schedules this year...

:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

they are right up there with the goddamn hawaiis of college football.

:nuts: :eyecrazy:
Lyion wrote:If Hillary wins Texas and Ohio, she'll win the nomination.

Tossica wrote:Seriously, there is NO WAY Sony is going to put HD-DVD out of the game.
Ouchyfish
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gaazy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:11 am

Its gonna be hilarious watching Hawaii getting destroyed
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Phlegm » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:52 pm

Ouchyfish wrote:Yeah, sure, Missouri, Kansas and Illinois played some powerhouse schedules this year...

If you want to take in account for strength of schedule, then Ohio State shouldn't even be include in any BCS bowls let alone the championship game.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:58 pm

Phlegm wrote:
Ouchyfish wrote:Yeah, sure, Missouri, Kansas and Illinois played some powerhouse schedules this year...

If you want to take in account for strength of schedule, then Ohio State shouldn't even be include in any BCS bowls let alone the championship game.

I agree. They had several weeks that were essentially formalities such as Kent State, Michigan State, Michigan, etc...
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Ouchyfish » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:35 pm

I think this year can be chaulked up to too many teams sucking ass at once.
Lyion wrote:If Hillary wins Texas and Ohio, she'll win the nomination.

Tossica wrote:Seriously, there is NO WAY Sony is going to put HD-DVD out of the game.
Ouchyfish
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:59 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7520962

Did Ohio State earn their bid?
Mark Kriegel / FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

Having covered boxing for most of my adult life, I know all about incompetent, inane and corrupted rankings.

This is not that. The BCS is not the WBA, the WBC or the IBF. Yes, everybody except the athletic directors and corporate bowl sponsors agrees that there should be a playoff system. But in lieu of anything so sane, one might admit that this partnership between man and machine actually works pretty well.

That being said, I still don't understand what everybody else seems to be taking for granted: Ohio State.

What exactly did the Buckeyes do to be rewarded with a No. 1 ranking and a chance in the championship game? Everybody talks about the losses. The fact that Ohio State has only one while the other serious contenders have two seems to be their sole qualification.

But what about the wins?

With the regular season now concluded, the benefits of hindsight are considerable. Don't bother wasting your time with an opponent's ranking way back in September or October when they played your favorite school. Rather, consider the team's current ranking. With all but the bowl game to be played, you have a much truer picture. Now: show me a single win that demonstrates Ohio State's prospective merit as national champions.

You can't, can you?

To examine Ohio State's schedule is to understand that Jim Tressel's team merely held serve during a weak year in the Big Ten, a season foreshadowed by Michigan's calamitous loss to Appalachian State back on Sept. 1. As it happened, the Buckeyes would play only two teams that finished in the top 20 in the BCS standings. It lost to Illinois (which finished 13th) and beat Wisconsin (18), though the Badgers were without the services of their star running back, P.J. Hill. OK, neither Tressel nor his team should be held responsible for a bad year in the conference. Rather, more troubling is the inescapable idea that Ohio State was rewarded for taking no risk.

While the Buckeyes were playing Youngstown State, a team like Tennessee was on the road at Cal. While Ohio State was playing that other perennial power, Akron, LSU was playing Virginia Tech. LSU crushed the Hokies — a team that finished third in the rankings — by a score of 48-7. Ohio State doesn't have a victory like that on its résumé. There's nothing even close.

You want the Buckeyes' big non-conference game?

Try Washington. That would be the same 4-9 Washington that Hawaii beat the other night. The difference is, Hawaii is undefeated.

Now people are complaining about Louisiana State suddenly leapfrogging into the championship game. "I didn't think we really got a fair chance," said Georgia coach Mark Richt.

Actually, he had a very fair chance. He just lost it fair and square to Tennessee. While the Bulldogs (not to mention the Buckeyes) were idle on Saturday, LSU beat Tennessee to win the toughest conference in the country.

LSU lost two games in triple overtime. In a normal year, that would have eliminated them from championship consideration. But this wasn't a normal year — the second-ranked team lost seven times — and one hopes there will never again be a season that suffers from the dreadful predictability that has plagued seasons past.

What's more, imperfect is better than untested. It addition to wins over Virginia Tech (3) and Tennessee (16), LSU beat Florida (12) and Auburn (23).

The only guys entitled to gripe are in the Big 12. I mean, how does Kansas get into a BCS bowl and Missouri, the team that beat Kansas just nine days ago, does not?

As of early Saturday night, no one had a problem with Missouri being ranked No. 1. Still, Oklahoma beat them by three touchdowns. Now I know the Sooners have a couple of losses, but to paraphrase a boxing expression, they beat the team that beat the team. And that's a lot more than can be said for the Buckeyes, who beat the team that lost to Appalachian State.

You shouldn't need a computer to tell you that, for one year at least, the Big 12 was bigger than the Big Ten. Then again, I look forward to my vindication on Jan. 7 in New Orleans, where the second-ranked team will finally win a game
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Return to Sports and LEEZure