Another college coach can't hack it in the NFL

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Another college coach can't hack it in the NFL

Postby Phlegm » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:43 am

Petrino quits the Hawks to become the Razorbacks' coach.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Another college coach can't hack it in the NFL

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:23 am

he should ahve to pay back this year's salary, and 1/2 of the remainder of his deal

it's absolute bullshit imo that you can sign a 5 year contract, then walk away from it after less than 1 year
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Phlegm » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:28 am

In July 2006, he signed a 10 year contract to stay at Louisville. Six months later he jumped to Atlanta.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:32 am

haha, really?

what a faggot
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 am

He should've waited until the end of the season, at least. It's lame to quit with 18 days to go.

Also, he took a 2 mil a year paycut.

The falcons are a thug team, and they need a complete roster overhaul, and a hardass who will lay down the law there. Petrino is a wonk, not a Parcells disciple like they need.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 am

I keep hearing rumours of Cowher ending up in miami next year

with the number of teams going tits up this year, and needing a good strong coach, with a good track record in drafting talent, I think he'll have a hard time staying on the sidelines next year
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:36 am

For head coaches, NFL teams are 5 year projects. They require these to ensure he can win consistently:

1 a knowledgeable GM.
2 A good scouting crew.
3 Competent cap management.
4. A good D Coordinator
5. A Franchise QB

If any of those pieces are missing, then ones NFL team goes from being top tier to good. If 2 or more are missing then the team goes to mediocre. Sadly, in some organizations, they have none of these pieces. Atlanta is one such group, and while Petrino will catch flak for a few weeks, this ship won't be righted for years.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:37 pm

I think you need to add a good offensive line to that list.

Look how good the Vikings and Browns are with horrible defenses (Vikings moreso vs. the pass). But they protect the passer and open up holes in the run game.

Teams with injuries and shoddy offensive lines have no chance. Case in point is the Bengals. With all those weapons, they can't win games because they can't keep Palmer standing for more than 3 seconds.

Tikker, Cowher needs to go to the Chiefs and send Herm to the Steelers NP!
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:39 pm

I actually don't think that a franchise QB is all that important to be honest

Look at the redskins of the 80's. I still put more importance on a stud RB + O line combo~
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:57 pm

The Vikings and Browns are second tier teams. Also, a good line is a matter of good scouting and a good GM, who gets the best linemen. Drafting and harvesting good linemen is part of the front office, as much as coaching. A QB is much different. There is a science for good linemen. Not for QBs.

A franchise QB wasn't important, but take a look at how Joe Gibbs is doing right now. Take a look at how San Diego is doing with wall to wall excellent skill players, but a mediocre QB. In the last six years, the teams winning it all had that franchise QB.

Show me someone who'll be winning the Super Bowl anytime soon without a franchise QB. Minnesota certainly won't be going deep and would get obliterated by Indy or New England.

It's been shown over and over RB is not nearly as important as QB. Look at Indy who swapped out Edge and Addai. Look at Denver and their rotating door. How a RB does is moreso how the line does, and is more about scouting. Look at New England and their RB core. Look at Pitt and the undrafted Parker. I'd say a stud WR is actually more important than a RB. The top 5 teams in the NFL can swap out their starting RB and still be effective. If those teams swap out their QB, they are screwed.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:52 pm

Lyion wrote: How a RB does is moreso how the line does, and is more about scouting. Look at New England and their RB core. Look at Pitt and the undrafted Parker. I'd say a stud WR is actually more important than a RB. The top 5 teams in the NFL can swap out their starting RB and still be effective. If those teams swap out their QB, they are screwed.

parker is a brutal example because he is a stud who just happened to get benched in university so as to not get drafted

I think there's really only a couple of QB's in the league who really qualify as franchise QB's, guys who will win regardless of a stud RB

On that list I'd put Peyton and Brady, and probably brett Favre

after that, there's a bit of a drop off down to guys like Romo, Brees, maybe Roethlisberger, hassleback, etc who can be dominating when the running game is going.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Phlegm » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:48 am

This is not the first time Arkansas did this. In 1976, Lou Holts resigned from the Jets with one game left to take a job with the Razorbacks.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Avient » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:25 am

I really don't think anyone wants to coach the Falcons. The owner is dipshit along with the GM. Add on top of that a team consisting of wannabe gangstas that did nothing other then trash talk the new coach and they themselves perform like shit.

Living right by the Falcons training facility and having actually interacted with several of these so called professionals, I wish them the fucking worst. Vick was a dick and I hope he gets raped in prison.

The team needs a total overhaul, ditch the GM, get rid of half the damn roster, draft an offensive line before even thinking of picking up a good QB, and do the research that obviously the Falcons management didn't do on Petrino and get a coach that has shown he can be in for the long haul of restoring a team.
Avient
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Return to Sports and LEEZure