Chris Simon

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Chris Simon

Postby Sithos » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:31 pm

So having seen the replay a million times today on various stations and on TSN etc I think he was positioning Ruutu's leg before he stomped on it with the blade of his skate. Whats it going to take before the NHL bans someone for life? Someone else getting killed and a lawsuit that cripples the entire NHL comes forth? If someone gets hurt playing hockey, from a clean hit or a fight thats absolutely fine to me. But when a guy is down,has his back turned to you and you go over, turn his leg so the tendons on the back of the leg are exposed and then you stomp on it with the blade of your skate, you should be banned from ever again playing professional hockey anywhere in North America. Hell this will be his 6th suspension for blatant acts like this. Just last year he got 25(?) games for using his stick like a bat and 2 handing someone in the head.

Now in the same token the bigwigs that hand down fines and punishments are also to blame in part. They need to focus on making the game better by taking stuff like this out of the game,by levying much harsher penalties, instead of worrying about a lawsuit brought forth by the NHLPA because they feel the punishment was to harsh.

Don't misunderstand me. Clean hits,good fights are all a part of the hockey game that I have loved since I was a child. Maybe it's just me but the 2 handed stick swings to the head,jumping from behind and breaking peoples necks or the stomp on the tendons on someones leg so they will likely never be able to play/walk again seems to have escalated the last few years. Fines and punishments have gone up also but IMO it's obvious that they aren't scaling well.
Sithos
NT Oldtimer
NT Oldtimer

Re: Chris Simon

Postby Sithos » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:36 pm

guess I should link one of the vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhlO8ktUUU
Sithos
NT Oldtimer
NT Oldtimer

Postby Evermore » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:46 am

personally i think they are killing hockey with this "clean it up" campaign. but this guy deserves to be booted. what a cocksucker.
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:34 am

The real question is why aren't people intentionally hurting other people being charged with assault?
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:17 am

it has been done before

see Marty McSorely, Todd Bertuzzi, Dino Ciccarelli, etc etc

that being said, Chris Simon should be banned for life

I absolutely hate cheapshot/dirty players(in any sport)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:00 am

The worst part is the cowardly NHLPA will do the same thing they did with the Bertuzzi thing. They'll defend Chris Simon and ignore the real victims here.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:48 am

Zanchief wrote:The worst part is the cowardly NHLPA will do the same thing they did with the Bertuzzi thing. They'll defend Chris Simon and ignore the real victims here.

I don't think the bertuzzi thing was that big of a deal at all, to be honest

if the guy hadn't gotten a broken neck during the deal, no one would have talked about it ever again, and it would have been forgotten within 3 days, easily

it's just like 100 players a week take a puck in the chest and it's not an issue, but in that super rare instance where some random guy dies cause it hit's him exactly right to stop his heart it's a big deal
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:07 am

Tikker wrote:I don't think the bertuzzi thing was that big of a deal at all, to be honest

No, it really was a big deal and he's lucky the kid is walking the way he hit him. If I knocked you out by punching you in the back of the head, then rammed your face into the pavement would turn around and say no big deal?

Bertuzzi is a dirtbag player and really shouldn't be playing hockey anymore IMO.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:09 am

How about the McSorley incident, Tikker, was that no big deal too?

Oh, and the Islanders have already suspended him internally, and are apparently forcing him to get counseling. NHL is still deciding, but talking heads on ESPN figure it'll be a rest of the year + playoffs suspension. Hopefully they're right.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:12 am

Arlos wrote:How about the McSorley incident, Tikker, was that no big deal too?

nope, that's a lifetime ban for sure

the reason I say the bertuzzi thing wasn't as big of a deal is that it was just a freak occurance that the 1 punch would KO the guy, and that he'd land (and get piled on by 10 guys, who know when his neck actually broke) in such a way to get injured

payback punches like that happen all the time, and 99.999% of the time, you don't even end up with a bruise

going after someone with a stick or skate is completely a different thing
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:24 am

Pay back punches aren't like that all the time, I'm not sure what kind of mortal kombat hockey you're watching, and he didn't get piled on by ten guys, he got his face smashed into the ice by one guy, Todd Bertuzzi.

It wasn't a freak accident at all. It was a blatant attempt to hurt a player that resulted in exactly what was expected.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:04 am

watch the video again
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY

it's hard to say exactly where his neck was broken

was it from initial punch? prolly not, but it looks like he's KO'd at that point

was it from when his head his the ground? quite possibly

was it from when the extra colorado guy piles on? look at how they drive his head down there. that was where I actually thought he was really hurt

ps, why aren't you whining and crying about this one?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTM8ocJJkY4

ps, i think this http://youtube.com/watch?v=-WC7tHU6YvE ( a head butt during a fight) is just as dirty
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:06 am

ps, I just want to reiterate this, since the social crusader usually misses the point

bertuzzi's play was definitely dirty, and I hate that shit. but comparing it to stomping with a skate is just stupid

if moore hadn't been hurt, it would be just another random cheapshot that's forgotten in a week

can you even think of the last time you saw a guy stomp someone with a skate? I sure can't, I can think of a couple of kicks, and those are rare enough that it's memorable
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:09 am

Tikker wrote:it's hard to say exactly where his neck was broken

was it from initial punch? prolly not, but it looks like he's KO'd at that point

was it from when his head his the ground? quite possibly

was it from when the extra colorado guy piles on? look at how they drive his head down there. that was where I actually thought he was really hurt

So of the two egregious things Bertuzzi did to Moore, you think that, without any proof, the third fluke event is the one that caused him to end his career? Sure, it's possible I guess. Back on topic, I don't know the the NHLPA should be backing guys that randomly sucker punch people in the back of the head then hold on to their limp lifeless bodies, and smash their face into the ice. Whatever the result may, or may not be. Can we agree on that?
Last edited by Zanchief on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:12 am

I think penalties for dirty play should be way higher, np

I absolutely had dirty shit. (fighting isn't necessarily dirty)

the initial punch was dirty, but I really don't think that as he went to the ice, that he had any idea the guy was already KO'd

i'm guessing he thought the guy was just turtling

ps, let's just get this straight

I'm, not defending bertuzzi, or any of that shit that happened. I'm just saying that a skate stomp is WAY worse than a gloved sucker punch (even tho moore ended up getting hurt, while ruutu didnt)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:13 am

Well obviously stomping someone in the leg is terrible. My point was, if the NHLPA defends this guy, and protests any lengthy suspension like they always do, they'll be missing the point once again. And that is they need to be protecting the players this psycho could potentially injure, not just him.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:47 am

and my point was that this is different from the bertuzzi situation (where if the guy wasn't injured, it wouldn't have been more than 1 game, at the longest)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:28 pm

Tikker wrote:and my point was that this is different from the bertuzzi situation (where if the guy wasn't injured, it wouldn't have been more than 1 game, at the longest)

There's no way he would have gotten a game for what happened, but here's the thing. He did get injured, and IMO it isn't a fluke. It's a direct result of his actions.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:15 pm

so, if you destroy a guy with a check in the middle of the ice, and the guy ends up with an injury, is that now a suspendable offense?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:41 pm

You're aren't getting past the fact that Bertuzzi sucker punched a guy in the back of the head, knocked him out, then rammed his face into the ice.

Why do you think it's a coincidence or an fluke accident he got hurt? This wasn't your average play. It was a very vicious assault on another player. Why are you defending this guy?

All flip your analogy on you. If someone where to take his skate of and slash it at someones neck, but miss, since there's no injury would excuse his actions?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:02 pm

Zanchief wrote:
All flip your analogy on you. If someone where to take his skate of and slash it at someones neck, but miss, since there's no injury would excuse his actions?

intent to injure is clearly defined in the rules as a penalty

all I'm saying is that what bertuzzi did, has been done 1000's of times, probably 20-50 times per season. injuries (especially of the life/career threatening) are rare, and I would say are not the intention of the action

I don't think what bertuzzi did was nearly as dirty as Claude Lemiuex's hit on Kris Draper a few years ago
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:19 pm

Tikker wrote:all I'm saying is that what bertuzzi did, has been done 1000's of times, probably 20-50 times per season.

That's where we disagree.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:16 am

just go to youtube and search for hockey +suckerpunch

you can find hundreds of videos, all of them virtually identical to what bertuzzi did, and a lot of them much worse (except that the guy didn't have a balsa wood neck)

hell, there's even a bunch of career ending ones in there too (look for nichols, or beukeboom) that you haven't been whining about

my whole point all along is that the ONLY reason bertuzzi's is talked about is because the guy ended up seriously injured

if he hadn't been, no one would even remember it
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:48 am

It's not jus the sucker punch for me though, it's also the fact that he rammed his face into the ice afterwards. And this doesn't happen thousands of times, it happens maybe once or twice in a season and it ALWAYS makes some news.

Again, it wasn't an accident or a fluke Moore got injured.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:46 am

now you're just playing dumb

do you honestly think that he went out with the intention of driving the guys face into the ice?

he punched the guy, and followed him down (just like if the guy had turtled)

there's absolutely no way he would have known the guys face was going to just bounce off the ice
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Next

Return to Sports and LEEZure