Billick fired

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Billick fired

Postby Phlegm » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:24 pm

The Ravens waved bye bye to Bill Billick today.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Billick fired

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:58 pm

i'm a bit surprised by that, but not really, all the same

if the ravens had been able to get a QB at any point in the last 8 years, they'd still be a great team
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:00 pm

Tikker wrote:i'm a bit surprised by that, but not really, all the same

if the ravens had been able to get a QB at any point in the last 8 years, they'd still be a great team

He has had plenty of QBs of his choosing. Elvis Grbac anyone?

Billick never did anything with the offense. He should have been fired after 2005.

The smart thing Bisciotti should do is elevate Rex Ryan to Head Coach, and hire Martz who wants out of Detroit as Asst Head Coach/OC.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:16 pm

One of the rumors going around here is that if the Yorks DO can Nolan (which they should, his game planning and management this year was atrocious) they might then actually dip into the 49ers past and hire Mike Holmgren, who has been talking retiring from coaching, out of Seattle to be their GM and run the football operations.

Of course, that rumor makes too much sense for it possibly to be true. The Yorks are so incompetent, they probably have to get assistance to tie their own shoes.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:22 pm

Arlos wrote:One of the rumors going around here is that if the Yorks DO can Nolan (which they should, his game planning and management this year was atrocious) they might then actually dip into the 49ers past and hire Mike Holmgren, who has been talking retiring from coaching, out of Seattle to be their GM and run the football operations.

Of course, that rumor makes too much sense for it possibly to be true. The Yorks are so incompetent, they probably have to get assistance to tie their own shoes.

The Niners should run, not walk, and nab Marty and give him full powers and a decent contract. Holmgren is a good coach, but there's a reason the 'Hawks went out and hired a real GM. He is not a good talent evaluator, and I think he'd be poor as a GM. What he could do is something similar to Parcells gig in Miami.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:21 pm

Martyball? 3 yards and a cloud of dust? In San Francisco? Birthplace of the West Coast offense?

I dunno about that. Give me some time to mull that one over.

I must say though, given that on O our best assets are at RB and TE, which is exactly what thrived under him in SD, it makes some sort of sense, but still....

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:47 pm

and KC, and the Browns...

I dunno, I think he got a raw deal in SD
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Mop » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:37 pm

this thread makes me smiles
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:02 pm

I'd love to see Billick get the O-Coordinator job at KC. I doubt he'd take a coordinator position, but our personnel would suit his style well.

I'd also like to see the Chiefs make a move to get Javon Walker from the Broncs and draft Long from Michigan with their #1 pick and a good CB with the #2.

Then we'll be back on the road to 8-8 baby!
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Reynaldo wrote:I'd love to see Billick get the O-Coordinator job at KC. I doubt he'd take a coordinator position, but our personnel would suit his style well.

I'd also like to see the Chiefs make a move to get Javon Walker from the Broncs and draft Long from Michigan with their #1 pick and a good CB with the #2.

Then we'll be back on the road to 8-8 baby!

Billick needs to coach a dome team with skill players to be successful as an OC. Plus, I doubt after winning a Super Bowl he'd take an OC job. He might drop down to college, I think. The AFC West is not a good place for him.

Walker is a cancer, and is working himself out of his second team. There are a lot of good WRs out there who have the skills and attitude, I doubt KC wants a high maintenance overpriced, underperfoming, often hurt WR like Walker.

KC needs a year of development for Croyle, a replacement for Shields and a few other aging vets, and most importantly to keep their few very good free agents.

I'm concerned my Chargers have a lemon in Philip Rivers. I guess we'll see in the playoffs. I'm surprised they gave AJ Smith an extension. I also think their D is not being coached nearly as well as last year.

The Browns are going in the right direction, and living near Cleveland I gotta admit I love the fans around here and the way they follow the game. They're intense, but not too serious, and fun about everything. They did great with their last two drafts. Wimbley is a stud and doing well. Joe Thomas is a monster on the line. I predict they trade Derek Anderson and hand the reigns over to Brady Quinn, who I think will do better than Anderson would have.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:35 pm

i think dumping Anderson would be shitty idea, the same as SD dumping brees
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:20 am

I think Anderson's upside potential is less than Quinn. Quinn outplayed Anderson in the preseason and I think will be a better QB longterm. Anderson had a good year, but still had some terrible games.

Still, Anderson might be back next year. I do know if someone dangles a first rounder to the Browns, Derek will be out the door fast.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:30 am

The Browns are a few players on defense away from being a pretty dominant team. I'd bet any value at all they could get for Anderson, they'd jump at, especially seeing as they don't have a 1st round pick this year.

And if they decide to pay and keep Anderson, they should look into trading Quinn to one of these teams that is desperate for a QB like the Bears, Lions, Dolphins, Vikings etc..

Browns are in the catbird seat, no doubt.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:19 am

Browns need a RB too

Lewis was more than decent this year, but he's getting pretty old~

I dunno, maybe if they can get good value for Anderson, and Quinn isn't the next ryan leaf they'll be alright
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:50 am

49ers are fucking keeping Nolan, but only as coach. (which manifestly he sucks major dick at), and are promoting his current assistant into the GM position over him. Only the Yorks.

OK, I suppose Dolan is as bad an owner for Basketball as the Yorks are for football, but that's not exactly a flattering comparison.

The 49ers are always going to be a bottom feeder team as long as they're owned by the Yorks, because the Yorks are utterly incompetent. They NEED to sell the team. Preferably back to Eddie DeBartolo, who is still beloved by the 49ers fan base. If HE were the owner of the team, 90% of the problems they're having getting a new stadium built would go away.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Phlegm wrote:The Ravens waved bye bye to Bill Billick today.

Do you mean Brian Billick? Or Bill Bellichek (pretty sure I butchured that) who is 16-0 with the Patriots.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Billick.

Belichick isn't going anywhere, unfortunately, unless the Fed's catch him for being a crooked dirty piehole bastard and send him to Gitmo where he belongs.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Eziekial » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:44 am

Cam Cameron needs a job. Might be a good fit...
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:19 am

I don't think coaching was really the problem in baltimore

they need a QB

they need receivers
their O line is getting older, and the defense is getting older (they really missed Thomas who went to NE)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Kramer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:18 pm

SD dropping Brees was mistake that i think could have meant the difference between attending a few superbowls and not gettting out of the playoffs
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Return to Sports and LEEZure