It hit me

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

It hit me

Postby Diekan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:01 pm

I was wondering why and how a shitty team like Illinois got into the Rose bowl while much better teams were subjected to lesser bowl games. Then I realized it has nothing to do with records, skills, talent, or anything of the kind and has everything to do with marketing.

IF USC had not been selected for the Rose bowl - shitty Illinois would not have either. Why do I say this? Because the BSC is, no way in hell, going to put USC up against a team that actually has a chance against them in a major, nationally watched, BCS game.

Basically, in the name of marketing and in the spirt of money making - USC gets their opponent cherry picked - ensuring the team they play is a team they can beat without a lot of effort.

A real team - like say Florida, Oklahoma, etc - you know - teams that would pound USC into the mud had no chance from the start.

That's the only explination. That's the only thing that makes sense... how a shitty team like Illinois (who couldn't beat a AA team on their best day) gets to go the ROSE bowl of all games.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: It hit me

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:00 pm

Who else are you going to put there though. It's a big10 vs pac10 thing, so you can't have ohio state since they're in the championship. So you have Michigan and Illinois and of the 2, Illinois beat OSU head to head.

To be fair, any team they put vs. USC was going to get trounced. USC is probably the best team in the country right now, and it doesn't hurt to play your bowl game at home.

I'm still laughing at UF getting beat my Michigan. Kind of gives OSU hope vs. LSU.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:06 pm

Reynaldo wrote:Who else are you going to put there though. It's a big10 vs pac10 thing, so you can't have ohio state since they're in the championship. So you have Michigan and Illinois and of the 2, Illinois beat OSU head to head.

To be fair, any team they put vs. USC was going to get trounced. USC is probably the best team in the country right now, and it doesn't hurt to play your bowl game at home.

I'm still laughing at UF getting beat my Michigan. Kind of gives OSU hope vs. LSU.

Not really. UF wasn't in the top 3 teams in the SEC due to so much turnover. Michigan was a hard matchup for UF due to their power running game and line. Those have been the things that have hamstrung Florida all year. UM also had a nice Blitz package and scouted Tebow well, and did a good job of limiting him, although he got his yards and TDs, as he always will.

LSU is the best team in the SEC and a very tough matchup for OSU. Especially with the speed on D, and their O game strategy.

Poor Hawaii. I bet they'd rather be playing a Big 10 or 12 team now.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Hawaii being the Sugar bowl is a joke. The WAC of a joke.

Did anyone actually think they would put up a fight against an SEC team? Be real.

Oh but they're 12 and 0... and? Who'd they play that was worth a shit? They're like Ohio State... but at least we all know OSU is in fact pretty much overrated. LSU will pound OSU into dust - as much as I hate to say it - it's true. OSU has no business in the National Championship.

The BCS is completely fucked.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:13 pm

It's gotta suck to be Georgia right now. Not only did you get leapfrogged by LSU for the championship game....

You then proceed to blow out a higher ranked team by the same amount of points that USC blew out their gimp competition, and all the media hypes that USC could win the AP national championship by (you guessed it!) leapfrogging Georgia again.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:19 pm

i am extremely fucking tired of hearing announcers suck USC cock. i don't know how many times i heard "they are the greatest team in the nation right now" but guess what herbstreit and musberger, the greatest team in the nation DOES NOT LOSE TO STANFORD!!! (let alone oregon)

a friend of mine pointed out today that the matchups look more like the first round of a playoff than the final round-- 3vs8, 4vs9, 5vs10, and 6 and 12 faced unranked teams. the media's inexplicable lust for USC glory manifested in the delivery of a juicy defenseless illinois steak, and IMHO georgia was given an easy opponent because of all the "we got snubbed" whining. aside from my unrated red raiders squeaking past #21 VA (WOOT) and the wolverines giving carr one last W, all the games on yesterday were fucking BORING. the rose bowl, aka four hours of "let's see how many hot salty loads of 'john david booty' or 'pete carroll' we can gulp down between commercial breaks" was a snoozer, and i think only sadists enjoyed watching the bulldogs shred the warriors.

i agree with diekan, the BCS is fucked.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Honestly, I don't know why anyone thinks the NCAA gives a shit about determining who the best team is, or any sort of a champion. They couldn't give a rat's ass. Neither do most of the schools, really, it's the boosters and players that would give a fuck.

No, the NCAA likes the bowl system just how it is cause it makes them money hand over fist. They make gazillions in naming rights and advertising buys for the games, and if there were a playoff system, they couldn't charge nearly as much for the non-championship bowls, and so they wouldn't make as much money.

That's why you'll never see the system change. The NCAA and the general funds of the various schools have way too much money at stake to ever allow a real championship to emerge. Hell, I'm sure the NCAA loves the fact that even with the BCS the "best team" is still an argument; it means higher ratings from bowls that aren't the "championship", which means more $$$$.

That's all the NCAA is now, is a big money-making enterprise. If they really cared about "scholar athletes", they would do something about the pitiful graduation rates at the football factory schools. Or hell, the graduation rates of basketball players too.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gaazy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Definitely wasnt expectin to wake up and read the paper to see that the Mountaineers beat the shit out of OU like that heh. This was one of the rare occasions that i DID route for the Eers though, having had their coach fuck them and leave before the bowl game, among other things, like having 49 states (the other one being West Virginia hehe) saying OU would win, and Corso (fag) saying WVU wouldnt get within 21 of them. Things like that made me route for them on this occasion. But I went to bed at just before halftime when it was 6-3 haha. Either way, fucking unreal
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Return to Sports and LEEZure