Joe Gibbs resigns....

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Joe Gibbs resigns....

Postby Evermore » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:00 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7648730?MSNHPHMA

Frankly I am supprised he lasted this long
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: Joe Gibbs resigns....

Postby Tikker » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:55 am

i'm actually surprised he went this year

if he'd gone last year, sure, or next year, but this year seemed odd

oh well
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Not really. He has one year left on his contract, and it's difficult to get free agents and to plan for the future as a lame duck coach. It was generally well known he wouldn't be staying around, so this simplifies thing.

It's pretty common for coaches to leave, quit, get fired, etc with one year left on their contract.

I think this year was probably Gibbs best as a coach, with the adversity that team faced, and the fact they really didn't have the talent to make the playoffs. He did benefit from being in the much weaker NFC.

Snyder is slowly coming to the realization that you can't buy a title, and there's a reason the high priced free agent's he's picking up are being allowed to walk via their former employers. I'm curious to see what direction he'll go in, since he's a very unpredictable owner.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:11 pm

The skins should give Saunders the HC job instead of trying to woo some big name in. He's earned the opportunity IMO. Making Jason Campbell and Todd Collins look like legitimate NFL starters alone warrants it.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Haylo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:19 pm

If the job doesn't go to Williams it will go to Saunders. If they bring someone in from the outside i'd be surprised. I really thought that we could have made a good push this year as far as post-season, but with the amount of injuries we had, key players missing, it just didn't happen. I'm hoping that they seek a big receiver and a good CB in the off season, also shore up the O-line, we need some younger, bigger guys there. Our line is old and small.
Tasya
Undead Priest
Malfurion
Haylo
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Lyion » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Haylo wrote:If the job doesn't go to Williams it will go to Saunders. If they bring someone in from the outside i'd be surprised. I really thought that we could have made a good push this year as far as post-season, but with the amount of injuries we had, key players missing, it just didn't happen. I'm hoping that they seek a big receiver and a good CB in the off season, also shore up the O-line, we need some younger, bigger guys there. Our line is old and small.

They need to scout and draft better, and grow their internal talent, versus spending a mint on over the hill vets as they have in the past.

They could easily trade for Chad Johnson from Cinci if they want a good #1 WR. However, they already have Moss and Cooley and Randel El, so they have no shortage of good recievers.

It's not mentioned, but Taylor was by far their best player on D. Losing him really hurts.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Haylo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:27 pm

Cooley is not a receiver, he's a TE. They have Randel El and Moss but they need a big go up and get the jump ball type of receiver in my opinion. That said I would hope that Snyder has finally realized that he can't keep flashing that cash around for these "big" name guys that come here and do jack and shit. Obviously losing Taylor was a huge hit, I thought that was a given which is why I didn't mention it. However Landry and Daughty did not do too badly in his stead. Really other than a CB I feel like our defense is pretty good. Our o-line is the glaring weakness.
Tasya
Undead Priest
Malfurion
Haylo
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Evermore » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:09 am

Haylo wrote:Cooley is not a receiver, he's a TE. They have Randel El and Moss but they need a big go up and get the jump ball type of receiver in my opinion. That said I would hope that Snyder has finally realized that he can't keep flashing that cash around for these "big" name guys that come here and do jack and shit. Obviously losing Taylor was a huge hit, I thought that was a given which is why I didn't mention it. However Landry and Daughty did not do too badly in his stead. Really other than a CB I feel like our defense is pretty good. Our o-line is the glaring weakness.

A decient QB wouldn't hurt either...
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:14 am

Haylo wrote:Cooley is not a receiver, he's a TE. They have Randel El and Moss but they need a big go up and get the jump ball type of receiver in my opinion. That said I would hope that Snyder has finally realized that he can't keep flashing that cash around for these "big" name guys that come here and do jack and shit. Obviously losing Taylor was a huge hit, I thought that was a given which is why I didn't mention it. However Landry and Daughty did not do too badly in his stead. Really other than a CB I feel like our defense is pretty good. Our o-line is the glaring weakness.

Cooley lines up everywhere and is by far their best player on offense right now. He's really the go up and get the ball guy, just as Gates is for the Chargers. He's listed as a TE, but he plays H-Back, he lines up at WR, and can do everything.

I think part of the problem is Campbell wasn't a great read and throw QB. He is young, and it takes time to develop in the league. The offense was immensely better with Collins in there, but he also isn't a long term solution and really is suited to be a backup, especially since he's 35 and has the mobility of a brick.

I think a good possession WR would be nice, but not really elevate their offense, unless it's a guy with the talent of a Wes Welker, of which there are few out there.

OL should be where Snyder and a good GM sit down and target 1 or 2 really good, dependable guys a la Hutchinson. The skill positions are pretty much settled in Washington, except for QB. I think they might be wise to consider going after Derek Anderson from the Browns, a guy who would instantly upgrade their offense and allow for them to be much more dynamic.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Return to Sports and LEEZure