Yet another big NBA trade

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Yet another big NBA trade

Postby Arlos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Cavs trade away 3/5 of their starting rotation, get Ben Wallace & Wally Szerbiak. (or howeverinhell you spell that guy's last name)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3257159

Comments from the actual NBA experts?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Yet another big NBA trade

Postby Jay » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:56 pm

Wallace is done, so is hughes, gooden is emerging. I think Cavs got fucked out of this deal, Bulls and sonics did ok.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Bloodberri » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Why didn't they trade sideshow bob instead?
Bloodberri
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Lyion » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Jay wrote:Wallace is done, so is hughes, gooden is emerging. I think Cavs got fucked out of this deal, Bulls and sonics did ok.

I wouldn't go that far, but this trade doesn't make me feel happy.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:16 am

For a supposed blockbuster, it really doesn't amount to much. They traded Hughes crap contract for Wallace’s. It's mostly just a move to appease LeBron so he doesn't ask to get traded when they get bumped in the first round.

Wallace will help them though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:28 am

Zanchief wrote:
Wallace will help them though.

I'm not 100% sure the new players will be an upgrade. I wish the Cavs had gotten Gasol earlier.

The move doesn't make sense to me, outside of moving Hughes contract. However, absorbing Wallace's, someone who I think is past his prime and not as motivated as before doesn't give them the pieces they need.

I guess they are hoping Szczerbiak or Smith will mesh better with James, and just wanted to mix things up.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:07 am

They didn't give anything up though. They dumped Hughes who they can't give away with his contract, and they dumped Gooden who's not very good.

They might have been able to make a move for Gasol but not with that package. Wallace may be past his prime but he'll help them inside on defense, and they'll just stick Gibson and Wally outside to hit uncontested threes off LeBron's doubles.

It's a reaction move after they lost out on both Gasol and Kidd, but it won't hurt them I don't think. They'll miss Hughes on defense though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Xaiveir » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:42 pm

Zanchief wrote:They didn't give anything up though. They dumped Hughes who they can't give away with his contract, and they dumped Gooden who's not very good.

They might have been able to make a move for Gasol but not with that package. Wallace may be past his prime but he'll help them inside on defense, and they'll just stick Gibson and Wally outside to hit uncontested threes off LeBron's doubles.

It's a reaction move after they lost out on both Gasol and Kidd, but it won't hurt them I don't think. They'll miss Hughes on defense though.

The Sonics have made out like bandits this year. They have 2 more 08 first round picks (not including their almost assured lottery pick this year), and an additional one from Phoenix in 09. Its just too bad that the Sonics will be out of Seattle, and ill never get a chance to actually watch this team develop.

For the Cavs, i really like this trade. They actually have perimeter shooters now, that will not allow teams to sit and just play Lebron. They also get someone that his only value is rebounding. They get rid of Hughes huge contract that was essentially dead weight. Its not a huge name or impact (Shaq, Gasol, Kidd) but i think it will be more effective for Cleveland than those aforementioned trades (save Gasol).
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 pm

Zanchief wrote:It's a reaction move after they lost out on both Gasol and Kidd, but it won't hurt them I don't think. They'll miss Hughes on defense though.

I don't personally see them as a better team after this trade, unless Wallace reverts to pre Chicago form. That's a really big if.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Well Hughes didn't help them that much though. They need a SG that can stick open shots, Wally does that. Having a slasher on the wing along with LeBron was always redundant.

Wallace will help them with their interior defense too. With Ilgauskas(sp) and Wallace they'll be a tuff team to score on.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Wally is more of a liability on D, though.

I dunno. It may be an upgrade, but it strikes me as not much of one.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Lyion wrote:Wally is more of a liability on D, though.

That he is.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Lyion wrote:
Zanchief wrote:It's a reaction move after they lost out on both Gasol and Kidd, but it won't hurt them I don't think. They'll miss Hughes on defense though.

I don't personally see them as a better team after this trade, unless Wallace reverts to pre Chicago form. That's a really big if.

People who leave Chicago have a tendency to just do way better ><. Look at Curry, Chandler, Brand etc etc. We are the new Golden State Warriors.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Sports and LEEZure