Hockey Trade deadline just passed.

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Hockey Trade deadline just passed.

Postby Arlos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Dallas got Richards.

Pittsburgh got Hossa and Hal Gill

San Jose got Campbell

Avs got Foote and signed Forsberg

Habs traded away their only goalie with experience for a 2nd round pick.

Thoughts on the various deals? Personally I think the Penguins scored big time, and should be near the top of the East if they aren't the top now.

Good deal for Dallas, as they didn't have to give up a whole lot.

Sharks got exactly the kind of D-man they needed. Now we'll see if it wakes Marleau up from the slump he's been in since the playoffs last year. (Fortunately Cheechoo finally woke up, and has like 11 goals in our last 15 games)

For the Avs, how much does Foote have any more? Plus what can Forsberg really do with his ankle still wonky?

For the Habs, seems awful risky, even if their current goalie is playing well, since you didn't get anything back to help right now.

Thoughts from the other hockey types?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Hockey Trade deadline just passed.

Postby Tikker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 pm

uh, the habs have their goalie of the future (Carey Price) and huet was going to be leaving via free agency at the end of the year (since no good young goalie wants to ride pine behind an even younger goalie)

getting a 2nd rounder for him was pretty decent imo

the Dallas deal was probably the most interesting
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:56 pm

Yeah, but isn't it rather risky for a team that thinks it's going to go deep in the playoffs to go into it with someone who's never been there before, and without a quality backup? Sure, it's nice to get something for someone who's going to leave, but should their goalie have any problems, it may bite them in the ass.

Of all the deals I think I like the Pittsburgh one, especially with how Malkin is playing these days. Will give them 2 really dominant lines on offense, and Gill gives them at least someone who is adequate on D which can't hurt.

I'm reserving judgment on the Sharks deal for now, til I see a few games with Campbell in uniform. Still, the first couple periods of the game today are encouraging. 2/3 on Power Plays so far, Marleau's got an assist, as does Campbell, and the Sharks have 4 goals through 2 periods.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:43 pm

you're generally not going to go too far in the playoffs if you need to go to your backup anyway
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tuggan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm

renting hossa wasnt worth getting rid of two skilled young guys. chemistry you know. the penguins will be a serious contender in the coming seasons, they should have kept the team relatively the same and just grown into it. i think gill was a good move though, maybe fleury can actually live up to his hype with a real defenseman infront of him.

colorado's success depends on wether forsberg can find his game, and find it quickly. i don't think he will, he is too soft for the nhl. i would love to see another detroit vs colorado match up though :D

i think campbell was like the missing link for SJ and with cheechoo finally starting to come around they will be hard to stop come playoffs.

richards was probably the best deal of the deadline. his style of play will fit anywhere.

i like that the wings added some grit to the blueline by aquiring stuart for next to nothing.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:25 pm

Tuggan wrote: i don't think he will, he is too soft for the nhl.

if you think Forsberg is soft, you really don't know anything about hockey at all
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Evermore » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:55 am

He is definitely not soft, but forsberg is older and has had a bunch of concussions and injuries.
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:06 am

oh he's definitely used up physically

his ankles are very much like Bobby Orr's knees
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tuggan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:29 pm

yeah tikk, he's whined and cried about the physical nature of the NHL since he showed up in the league... he's definately not too soft.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 pm

No, he whined about the ILLEGAL clutching & grabbing that was going on all the time and not getting called. Big difference. Gretzky couldn't get Gretzky's record numbers today, much less get them back in the pre-lockout NHL. There's something to be said for defense, but there's defense, and then there's illegal actions that are simply not called.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tuggan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:30 pm

sure. most players complained about being tied up, but just like most euro "stars" he complained about the hitting and grinding of the nhl.

he's played a total of maybe 4 seasons out of 11 where he didnt miss a fuckton of games. he's been soft since day one, it's not a recent developement that came with age.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:40 pm

there's a big difference between being injury prone and being soft

forsberg played a lot bigger than his size, and paid the physical tole for it

I'm in no way a forsberg fan, but you really don't have a clue if you think he's soft
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tuggan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:47 pm

"soft" and "injury prone" are the same thing in my eyes. i'm not calling him a sissy.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:13 pm

ok, fair enough

soft generally is associated with sissy tho

by all means, call him a bandaid at every chance
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Return to Sports and LEEZure