Speaking of streaks...

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Speaking of streaks...

Postby Arlos » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:05 am

If we're going to talk about the Rockets' streak, methinks we need to recognize another one.

How about the Sharks of late? 14-0-1 over their last 15 games, with their only "loss" happening via the shootout after closing out OT tied. Methinks Campbell was exactly the piece we needed, I can only assume we'll be definitely locking him up long-time once the season's over. Plus, Cheechoo and Marleau finally got their asses in gear, and have been playing awesome.

And hey, how about Nabokov for the Vezina? 43 wins, < 2.15 GAA. He's easily the team MVP, but I doubt he'd be up for the Hart.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Speaking of streaks...

Postby Tuggan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:40 am

I saw this coming as soon as they picked him up. I think SJ is going to be unstoppable come playoffs if everyone can stay healthy.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:39 pm

SJ doesn't have a goalie good enough to win the Cup

nothing has changed. they'll win a series or 2, but if they run into a hot goalie, they're out
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:06 pm

You still say that after the year he's had? How much better does he have to get than 43 wins with a 2.13 GAA? That's more wins than Brodeur and the same GAA. Save percentage of .910 isn't exactly shabby either. Your man-crush Kiprusoff has only 36 wins, a 2.66 and a .907.

I've seen more than one article on CNNSI and ESPN that were saying Nabokov stands a good chance at winning the Vezina, and may be in for the Hart if Washington doesn't make the playoffs, which would pretty much rule Ovechkin out.

I can't think of what else he'd need to do to prove himself, honestly. He single-handedly kept us in games all year when our O was lacking, and has been a complete workhorse. So, why are you still down on him so much? (and what, short of actually winning the cup, would he have to do to prove himself? I mean, it's not like Kiprusoff has won a cup...)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:55 pm

eh, i am not a big kiprusof fan. I just don't think nabokov is the type of goalie you can ride to a cup
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Kramer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:50 pm

i would have brought up their streak if i had ever watched an entire hockey game and/or understood the basic rules of hockey and/or hadn't grown up in Houston where if you don't play football, basketball or baseball you are of utterly no consequence..... i m just saying.
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:43 pm

16-0-2 now. They lost once more in OT, after coming back from a 3 goal deficit in the 3rd period. They've gone from being 3rd in the division and 11-12 points out, to having now clinched no worse than 2nd overall in the west, and almost certainly are going to finish up 2nd overall in the league. The last time they lost in regulation was February 20th.

I'm sure the old-timer hockey heads here can remember longer streaks, but I've never seen one in the time *I* have been watching.

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:52 pm

well, you are a hockey n00b

Overall: 35 games, by 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers

SJ's streak is nice, but not in top 10 yet I think

Sharks do own the leagues longest losing streak tho (17 games)

congrats
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

SJ also managed to lose 71 games in a single season once
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:06 am

Yeah, but that was a long time ago now, and it was either the year they came into existence, or like the year after.

You won't get any argument from me that the first few years of the Sharks, they were beyond pitiful.

I do believe that their current streak is the longest since Pittsburg in like 91, yes?

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:23 am

pittsburgh won 17 games in a row in the 92/93 season (win, no ties. SJ only won 11 in a row)

not sure about the most recent undefeated streak

lots of teams are putting up crazy number this year

the Oilers were like 27 pts out of a playoff spot at christmas, and now are actually in contention for as high as 6th (I still don't think they'll make it, but they've played great lately)
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Well, the sharks have captured one NHL record with their streaks so far: they're the first team ever to have 2 8+ game road winning streaks within the same season.

One thing that impresses me about their overall streak is they haven't just been facing bottom feeders or anything. So far on the streak they've beaten: Pittsburgh, Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, Minnesota (twice), Dallas, and Anaheim (twice).

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Atalya » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:46 am

how many of those 16 wins were shootout wins? Even 1 shootout win will skew that stat. The only era you can even count that stat in is the post lockout era. Any other win/loss streak since is in a different league now imo.
    Atalya
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:26 pm

you know what

I've gone back and watched a few sharks games now, and Nabokov looks different this year

maybe it's that he doesn't have to platoon with Toskala anymore, but he looks better than previous years
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Return to Sports and LEEZure