NHL Playoffs are here

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: NHL Playoffs are here

Postby Tuggan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 pm

haha, go sharks go.

hope both california teams go down in the first round. that would be a thing of beauty.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:33 pm

WHEW! What a game.

Absolute must-win for the Sharks. If they'd lost, the series was over, and the team would've been blown up in the off-season. They had some serious questions about their heart after last game, but this time, they fought for all 60 minutes. Tied it up with less than 5 minutes left, then got the winner after some real grind-work down low with 9 seconds left.

Now, if the Sharks can just come out and dominate next game, they should be set to take the series. (and yes, I know that's a big if). Marleau really has had a great series too, he really was a force tonight. Definitely a different Marleau than we saw the first 2/3 of the season.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tuggan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:04 pm

10 shots is down right pathetic.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:02 am

I've never really seen a game like that where neither team really deserved to win
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:57 am

Wow, did the Sens blow chunks for their series. Something tells me they need some serious reconstructing in the offseason if they want to be anywhere near as competitive as they were in the last few years. I think whatever window of opportunity they had to win the cup with their current crew is gone now.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Eziekial » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:14 am

The penguins look good. Ranger should take the devils out next game as will the Canadians. Not sure about the flyers series, haven't caught any of their games.
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Evermore » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:43 am

go flyers
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 am

sens kept the wrong free agent defensemen

I think they'd have been better off with Chara than Redden

for whatever reason, Redden just seems like he's lost his heart, and doesn't play with any emotion at all anymore

that and I don't think they 100% trust their goaltenders which makes it hard to press and score goals
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:21 am

Tikker wrote:I think they'd have been better off with Chara than Redden

Most people here agreed with you but I think it was a reaction to rule changes. They were afraid Chara would be too slow in the new NHL.

I've heard about 3 or 4 first hand accounts of Redden's cocaine addiction. I don't know if it has anything to do with his sucking but I couldn't imagine it helps much.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Phlegm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:29 am

Eziekial wrote:The penguins look good. Ranger should take the devils out next game as will the Canadians. Not sure about the flyers series, haven't caught any of their games.

Flyers are up 2-1 in the series. They probably should be up 3-0 but in the first game they blew a 4-2 lead in the third period.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:19 am

Sharks are now up 3-2. They looked really shaky that first period, and were only about equal in the 2nd, even though they ended up ahead. 3rd period for most of it they kicked ass, but let off the gas with a few minutes left, and let Calgary back into it.

I think that the Sharks' advantage in offensive depth is starting to tell, but they REALLY need to learn how to close out an opponent they have on the ropes, or it's going to cost them a series at some point, possibly soon.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Evermore » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:43 am

Flyers up 3-1 now.
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:06 am

Arlos wrote:I think that the Sharks' advantage in offensive depth is starting to tell,

I'm still trying to figure out how you think the Sharks have an advantage in offensive depth
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:34 am

*shrug* I'm hardly the only one saying that.

From the Calgary Herald's Flames Blog of the game itself: "Another Cheechoo goal, and so much for him being a non-factor in the first three games. Officially, he is now a factor. And the Sharks' offensive depth is starting to make the difference, as his the Flames' lack of same. " (http://communities.canada.com/calgaryhe ... ceoff.aspx)

How about from the Calgary Sun? "Despite throwing almost four times as many shots on goal as they did in Game 4, the Flames’ one-man attack with Iginla is simply no match for a Sharks club that is now tapping into the scoring depth that made them overwhelming favourites heading into the series." (http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/20 ... 18326.html)

The local papers have said much the same thing as well. Remember, Cheechoo was inneffective for more than half the season because of the after-effects of hernia surgery, Ryan Clowe was out for most of the season with a knee injury, Marleau was playing like dog crap until the after the trade deadline, and we didn't have Campbell for most of the season. So, full-season stats are somewhat misleading, givn all the problems the team went through. Look at post-trade deadline stats though, and you'll see it.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Sithos » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:46 pm

Montreal and Boston was back and forth like crazy. Even though I am a Habs fan I think that they deserved to lose this game. They came out listless in both the 2nd and 3rd period. For a team that has had Boston on the brink for the last 2 games they aren't playing like they are hungry to win.
Sithos
NT Oldtimer
NT Oldtimer

Postby Tikker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:08 am

Almost think the jitters are getting to Price

he hasn't quite been the same last few games

I thought having Saku back would have been more of a jumpstart for them
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Sithos » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Saku provided a morale boost yes, but due to his foot still nowhere near 100% he was slow. Two of the goals scored on price were partially due to Saku not being able to take his man on the backcheck.

Not sure about Price having the jitters, above and beyond what the playoffs bring (which is enough in itself). He looked pretty solid after each goal other than on one. Guess we will see later tonight. Game 7 is always an edge of your seat affair regardless. I am looking forward to it immensely. Just hoping my team pulls it out.
Sithos
NT Oldtimer
NT Oldtimer

Postby Arlos » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:41 am

Sharks sucked up the joint tonight. They better get their shit back together, or they're gonna go home after game seven. I still think they'll win the series, but they can NOT play like they did tonight.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:26 am

Iginla was a big force in the game

I think you're starting to see why Boston was willing to dump Thornton. he just doesn't really seem to play with any emotion in the playoffs

no matter who wins game 7, it's been a pretty good series
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby ClakarEQ » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:18 pm

I don't think there's been one comment regarding Detroit.

Curious on where others see them as the playoffs continue on.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm

I can't believe I'm going to watch game 7 tonight. Hockey is so fucking boring.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:18 pm

ClakarEQ wrote:I don't think there's been one comment regarding Detroit.

they're that team that's always really pretty good, and everyone is sick of them being good, heh
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tuggan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:20 pm

ClakarEQ wrote:I don't think there's been one comment regarding Detroit.

Curious on where others see them as the playoffs continue on.

since babcock wised up and pulled hasek, i'm much more opptomistic about my teams chances. think i'd rather colorado over calgary though, which has me cheering for san jose... which makes me feel rather ill.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Griever » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:23 am

Go Caps!! That is all.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Arlos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:06 pm

And the Sharks take it in 7. Thank the gods for Doug Wilson signing Roenick, he was a serious force out there tonight. I think the Sharks have found their emotional leader, since they're not getting it from Thornton, and only intermittently from Marleau. It's hard to say that Thornton had a bad series, really, he has 7 points in 7 games, which is hardly suckage, but he hasn't taken the team on his back and carried them like Iginla was doing for Calgary. Roenick, on the other hand, did just that tonight, and I doubt if there's a more popular person in San Jose at the moment. Rough, rough series, but some great hockey.

Next is Dallas. Going to be another rough series, but I don't think Dallas will be quite in the Sharks' heads as much as Calgary was. You never know, though. It's a division rivalry too, and those're always rough. I doubt this'll be settled in less than 6 games. I think Sharks'll win, and they'll look back to the toughening up they got in this Calgary series as a major asset in the Dallas series. (assuming they actually learned their lesson, which they seemed to have for most of game 7)

Detroit vs Colorado, if it's anything like their series' of a few years back is going to be an all-out war. They at least used to HATE each other, wonder if any of that animosity still remains. If it does, I can easily see that series going 7 games. I think Detroit wins, ultimately, unless Sakic & Forsberg go berserk, or if Lidstrom goes down with some freak injury. (Detroit just is nowhere near the same team without Lidstrom)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure