nba newb question

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

nba newb question

Postby Tuggan » Mon May 26, 2008 6:05 am

aside from the energy from the crowd, and comfort level on the home court are there any other advantages to playing at home in the nba? like rules, or an advantage changing up players?
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Re: nba newb question

Postby Eziekial » Mon May 26, 2008 8:11 am

It's the same with pretty much every sport. You know the court better so it's an advantage. Even though every court is the same in terms of dimension (more or less), subtle things like the scorers table and the benches are different so you have more of a "feel" for the court.
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Xaiveir » Mon May 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Lighting is actually a huge factor as well. Each arena has it setup differently, that can effect depth perception etc. Couple that with the seating aspect as well, and it can be a huge factor. Noise and being "home" doesn't make a ton of difference as a player. It is another one of those things for announcers to talk about.

In baseball, the hitters backdrop (in centerfield) makes a GIGANTIC difference from park to park. Thats the first thing i always look at when i get to a new stadium to play, how i can pickup a pitch off of it. It doesnt seem like it would be a big factor, but it is.
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Mon May 26, 2008 6:23 pm

Whenever I was playing a sport I never even heard the crowd. I'm not paying any attention to anything except the game.

This may be different for something slower paced like baseball where you have idle time to pay attention to that, but for football I didn't hear shit other than crashing pads and helmets.

The only thing I heard during basketball was my coach. I don't know how it was for anyone else.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tuggan » Mon May 26, 2008 7:21 pm

i was curious because with hockey the home coach gets the last change, and basketball was the only sport with anything slightly similar to a line change like hockey.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Mon May 26, 2008 7:43 pm

plus some of the crazy old rinks were bizarrely non standard

boston gardens was retardedly small

the winnipeg arena was crazy huge

some rinks had odd boards, etc etc
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Eziekial » Tue May 27, 2008 6:06 am

I'm not familiar with hockey rules but in soccer, the field size requirement is not exact, it's like anything between 90-110 yards long for example. The size of the outfield in baseball is also not fixed.
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Return to Sports and LEEZure