NFL Talk 2008

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: NFL Talk 2008

Postby vonkaar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 am

Quick 'week 6' observation.

So... Arizona has now beaten the Cowboys, Bills, 49ers and Dolphins... and lost to the Redskins and Jets. They are currently 4-2, on top of the division.

And... Seattle has beaten - The Rams... while losing to the Bills, 49ers, Giants and Packers. They are currently at the BOTTOM of the division, at 1-4.

:ohnoes:

Meanwhile, Dallas is 1-2 after starting 3-0... and now Tony Romo is out for 4 weeks to a broken pinkie :ugh:.

I'm standing by my AFC prediction - San Diego is coming together... Romo out for 4 games could really hurt us though.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:35 am

Browns finally looked like last year last night. Amazing what getting a stud right tackle back from injury does for the O-line.

Breaks my heart that the Chiefs are shopping gonzo, but I'd be happy for him to go somewhere that he can have a chance at a ring. Hopefully we at least get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Phlegm » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:28 pm

Gonzales didn't get traded. There was only one trade before the deadline today, Roy Williams to the Cowboys for 1st, 3rd, and 6th round picks.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:54 pm

that one just didn't make a lot of sense for the cowboys

their issues aren't lack of receivers
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:19 pm

No kidding. Williams is going to want a good share of balls his way as well and won't be quiet like Crayton and Austin. TO with another elite WR isn't going to work well.

And I'm worried about Witten's numbers now for my fantasy team!!
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Kramer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 pm

/agree with all of that

they are especially screwed now that Homo is out for a few weeks with the finger injury
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby vonkaar » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:13 am

Shrug... Jerry was just trying to have a replacement for TO. Seeing how it takes about 3 years to really cultivate a receiver in this league, he sees it as a first-round pick that's ready to go. We had 2 picks in the 3rd round, so that part doesn't hurt us too bad...

Still... we now have 6 'pretty good' targets... TO, Williams, Crayton, Austin, Hurd and Witten. If, and this is a big 'if', everyone can put egos aside - this is a defesnive nightmare.

Romo is saying he'll play with it injured, speculation now is that he'll only be out 2 to 3 weeks. Getting him back for the 3rd week would be super (NYG).
    Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:04 pm

How about this thought.

And now introducing your starting QB for the 2009 Kansas City Chiefs....Michael Vick!!!

I'd be all for it. It's not like we have a big problem with "character" guys like we used to right? Helllloooo Larry Johnson!
    Reynaldo
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby Haylo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:16 pm

Ok I have Drew Brees and Matt Schaub in my Fantasy League, who should I start? Brees is going against SD who has a terrible pass defense, but Bush is out and that means that it's going to be all passing. That could be good or bad depending on how SD counters, without having to worry about the run will that beef up the pass defense? On the other hand I have Schaub against Cincinnati, who of course is winless and not impressive at all. Houston isn't that great either both the Schaub/Johnson teaming has been pretty impressive. HELP.
    Tasya
    Undead Priest
    Malfurion
    Haylo
    NT Disciple
    NT Disciple

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:54 am

Bush actually gets most of his yards via receptions, so having to pass won't be a change for the saints, with or without bush. You gotta go with Brees imo, he's playing against the chargers who are his former team that let him go for Rivers.

One thing I would do is check the London weather the day of the game though. If it's raining like it did during last year's game, definitely go Schaub.
    Reynaldo
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby Griever » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:07 am

Brees hands down, even if its raining.
    Griever
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby vonkaar » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:57 am

Xaiveir wrote:Arizona? Really? They will be lucky to be a .500 team. Seahawks are better this year than last, by a LONG shot. Hawks win that division easily. Cant really argue with the rest. Colts probably instead of Jacksonville.

Arlos wrote:You honestly think that Arizona is going to win the NFC West? Seriously?

Warner lost it YEARS ago. If he hadn't, he'd still be in St. Louis. Yeah, they have a couple decent WRs, but one of them doesn't even want to be there, and their line is iffy at best.

No, every year someone out there seems to get excited about Arizona and calls it their year, and every year they suck donkey balls. This year won't be any different.

Seattle is going to take the NFC West, easy, and I say that as a near 30 year fan of the 49ers.

-Arlos

Aaaand, before I get all 'braggy' up in here... I will say that I was absolutely dead wrong in almost every one of my other predictions. Cowboys, Jags, Chargers, Minnesota (wtf?)... Pittsburgh was the only other one I got right. However, this Arizona / Seattle pick was the one I got the most flack for, so I'm still going to do a little nyah nyah here. Seattle is one of the worst teams in the league and Arizona 'slightly' improved... just as I guessed.

So, I'm batting something like... .200... is that good? =p
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Phlegm » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 am

vonkaar wrote:So, I'm batting something like... .200... is that good? =p

If you're playing major league baseball, you would probably get 3 mil a year.
    Phlegm
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Here's my predictions:

NFC West: Seattle
    NFC North: Green Bay
    NFC South: New Orleans
    NFC East: Dallas (oh, how this pains me to say. /hate /hate /hate Dallas. Jerry Jones should DIAF)

NFC Wild Cards: Minnesota, NY Giants

AFC West: San Diego
    AFC North: Pittsburgh
    AFC South: Indianapolis
    AFC East: New England

AFC Wild Cards: Jacksonville, NY Jets.

Lets see:

NFC West: Way off. Grats to Arizona
    NFC North: Green Bay WAS doing well, but went into a serious choke job for no apparent reason. I did have MN as a wild card team, so not THAT far off here.
    NFC South: Well, NO could still win it, but who could have predicted the entire division would be over 500?
    NFC East: Wrong here too, but I did have the Giants down as a WC, so again, not too far off.

Wild Cards: Too hard to pick right now. Dallas is still in the hunt, but so is the entire NFC South, and technically Philly and Chicago too.

AFC West: Wrong. WTF happened to San Diego? I guess I should have known better than to put my trust into a team with Norv Turner as head coach.
    AFC North: Looking good here, though Baltimore still has a shot.
    AFC South: Well, Indy's in the wild card hunt, but I don't think ANYONE saw the Titans coming like they have.
    AFC East: Well, NE is tied for first. No one could've predicted Brady going down in game 1, though.

Wild Cards: Still too close to call. Jets are definitely still in it. Jacksonville, however, is NOT. heh.

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Evermore » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:32 pm

philly still could make it. amazingly. I had them washed out a month ago but now if they win out and get a bit more help they can make it. hell its the 1st time all year they are out of the cellar.

Dallas is starting its customary dec choke and it looks like the skins are too. shit the Giants didnt look that good either
    For you
    Evermore
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Xaiveir » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 am

Yeah AZ hasn't surprised me a lot, they are talented. Seattle had one of those, everything that can possibly go wrong, went wrong seasons. I am actually enjoying them losing, im happy they are actually going to get a really good draft pick.
    Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
    Xaiveir
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Very true X. This year was probably the best thing that could have happened to Seattle. Their window is closing before having to re-tool the offense at QB and O-Line, so getting a couple great high draft picks, plus getting Hasselbeck and the WRs back next year healthy they'll challenge for the West crown again easiliy.
    Reynaldo
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby Evermore » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:36 pm

with what's his face as the coach? i have some serious doubts...
    For you
    Evermore
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Xaiveir » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:35 pm

I am actually pretty high on Mora as a coach. He has great relations with the team.

Another thing that has gone wrong with the team is Holmgren. I have always been a big supporter, but he is a lame duck right now. Just the switch to a new coach is going to help next year. I think Holmgren, while rumored to wind up retiring/semi retiring, will wind up coaching the San Francisco 49ers next year.

The good thing about the Seahawks is they actually have a good nucleaus. They really are not as bad as a 2-10 team. Looking at the #3ish pick next year if they continue, Tim Tebow maybe? A franchise running back? So a quick turn around should be easy.
    Xaiveir
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Evermore » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:10 am

why would you be high on Mora as coach? he has pretty much failed at every coaching job he has ever held
    For you
    Evermore
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Xaiveir » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:10 pm

Evermore wrote:why would you be high on Mora as coach? he has pretty much failed at every coaching job he has ever held

Every coaching job he has had? He has only been a (Head Coach *edit) coach once, with the Atlanta Falcons for 3 years. Prior to that he was with the 49ers from 97-03, 99-03 he was their Defensive coach. Before that he was with the Saints under his dad. 11-5 with the Falcons and an NFC title game, 8-8 the second year, 7-9 in his last year. The last 2 years for the Falcons they were competitive, battling for a playoff spot. While i love Michael Vick's athleticism, he was never a real pocket QB, and that is what Mora was attempting to run. That would be really the only negative on Mora, trying to make Michael Vick into something he was not.

So no, he has had some success through the years. He has tons of experience, relates to players well, and is motivated. So that is why i am high on him. It is much better than hireing an NFL retread.

I think you might be thinking of Jim Mora his father, as far as failing pretty much anywhere he went. All those years with the Saints kind of puts a damper on that.
    Xaiveir
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Arlos » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Hey, but he did give us some of the best interview clips ever, though!

"Playoffs? PLAYOFFS???...."

"We couldn't do diddly-poo...."

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Evermore » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Xaiveir wrote:
    Evermore wrote:why would you be high on Mora as coach? he has pretty much failed at every coaching job he has ever held

Every coaching job he has had? He has only been a (Head Coach *edit) coach once, with the Atlanta Falcons for 3 years. Prior to that he was with the 49ers from 97-03, 99-03 he was their Defensive coach. Before that he was with the Saints under his dad. 11-5 with the Falcons and an NFC title game, 8-8 the second year, 7-9 in his last year. The last 2 years for the Falcons they were competitive, battling for a playoff spot. While i love Michael Vick's athleticism, he was never a real pocket QB, and that is what Mora was attempting to run. That would be really the only negative on Mora, trying to make Michael Vick into something he was not.

So no, he has had some success through the years. He has tons of experience, relates to players well, and is motivated. So that is why i am high on him. It is much better than hireing an NFL retread.

I think you might be thinking of Jim Mora his father, as far as failing pretty much anywhere he went. All those years with the Saints kind of puts a damper on that.

you might be correct here. still....
    For you
    Evermore
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Xaiveir » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Arlos wrote:Hey, but he did give us some of the best interview clips ever, though!

"Playoffs? PLAYOFFS???...."

"We couldn't do diddly-poo...."

-Arlos

One of the greatest interview meltdowns i have ever seen. Loved it.
    Xaiveir
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Arlos » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 pm

My favorite football interview quote is still from the coach of the Buccaneers during their 0-14 season, John McKay.

They'd just lost again for the upteenth time, and the coach is giving his interview after the game, and one of the reporters asks him,

"So coach, what do you think about your team's execution?"

His answer?

"I'm in favor of it..."

:rofl:

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure