BCS standing

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: BCS standing

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Phlegm wrote:Penn State lost to Iowa so they probably are out of contention for the championship.

wow

also, looks like AL should be on top for at least another week ;\
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:12 pm

fuuuuuuuuuuck here we go

GUNS UP
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gaazy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:23 pm

ha, ha, ha, and WVU lost to cinci, proving their worthlessness. Now I can go to work and make fun of some prick wvu fans hahaajh
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:51 pm

FUUUUUUUCK YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Phlegm » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:24 pm

The Sooners are kicking Texas Tech asses right now.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Phlegm » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Latest BCS top ten:

Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, USC, Utah, Texas Tech, Penn State, Boise State, and Ohio State.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:40 pm

bah i still don't understand why USC gets so much love

put almost any big 12 south team in the Pac-10 and they'll go undefeated for a decade
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Hatak » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:11 pm

Week 14 BCS Top Ten:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. USC
6. Utah
7. Texas Tech
8. Penn State
9. Boise State
10. Ohio State

Onto the Big 12 Championship we go!
Hatak
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Reynaldo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:46 pm

It sucks USC is going to win the pac10. Would have been awesome to see which team would get placed in the championship if Missouri beats OU. As it stands, probably would be USC.

....not that Missou holds any chance of beating Oklahoma.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Hatak wrote:Week 14 BCS Top Ten:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. USC
6. Utah
7. Texas Tech
8. Penn State
9. Boise State
10. Ohio State

Onto the Big 12 Championship we go!

pah, OU being ranked over UT is a travesty, BCS is a broken system
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Phlegm » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Reynaldo wrote:It sucks USC is going to win the pac10. Would have been awesome to see which team would get placed in the championship if Missouri beats OU. As it stands, probably would be USC.

....not that Missou holds any chance of beating Oklahoma.

USC has no chance of playing in the Championship game. The BCS doesn't require a team to be a league champion to play in the game.

The championship game will be between Alabama/Florida vs. Texas/Oklahoma.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Phlegm » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:32 pm

Most likely scenario is that Oklahoma beats Missouri and Florida beats Alabama. Oklahoma will then play Florida for the championship. USC will play Penn State in the Rose Bowl unless they big time choke against UCLA again.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:35 pm

Really the team that's getting tea-bagged the worst is Tech. The BCS I thought was supposed to factor out things like when you lose or how much you lose by.

If Tech gets obliterated by Oklahoma in week 3, then goes undefeated the rest of the way and beats Texas after Texas has beaten Oklahoma, they're the sure fire candidate for the big 12 championship game.

As it stands right now, they're not even going to make a BCS bowl at all, and going to have to settle for the Cotton. That's like a 10 million dollar difference if I remember right, just for losing in week 11 instead of week 3.

Also there's talk now that if Florida doesn't beat Alabama by enough, the computers won't be able to push them above Texas in the percentage standing, leading to an Oklahoma / Texas rematch for the championship. We all know that wouldn't happen, but it's fun that this kind of dialogue is brought out on the front page of sport sites.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 pm

Hearing people talk about college football and this bullshit makes me wonder why they watch it at all. It sounds like a popularity contest and nothing about talent at all.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 pm

because it is a shitload of fun to watch, way more so IMO than the pros

why? these kids have an expiration date, they only get 4 years to prove themselves or else they have to go get real jobs

pros don't play with the same fire because they know they'll still get paid (yes, i'm oversimplifying, but the point stands)

BUT yes josh you're partially right, a lot of the postseason in this sport is a popularity contest. why else would USC be anywhere near the top 10 this year? they couldn't even ace their own garbage conference (no offense drem). and how else could you explain how no one even talks about TTU, despite having just as many quality wins over just as many quality teams as the Big Name Teams of OU and UT? and shit, why else would notre dame STILL be making headlines after 2+ years of laughably bad football?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:20 pm

there was a blog on foxsports the other day about a Sweet Sixteen playoff, it was pretty awesome how it was all laid out IMO:

there are 11 football conferences. win your conference, and BAM! auto-seed in the playoff. the remaining 5 at-large spots are filled by going down the BCS rankings list and picking the top 5 teams that DIDN'T win their conference. as of RIGHT NOW, the playoff would look like this:

Code: Select all
1  Alabama (SEC champ)        \______                                      ______/ 2 Oklahoma (Big12 champ)
16 Troy (Sun Belt champ)      /      \                                    /      \ 15 Tulsa (C-USA champ)
                                      \______                      ______/                     
                                      /      \                    /      \
8 Penn State (Big10 champ)    \______/        \                  /        \______/ 7 Texas Tech (At-Large #3)
9 Boise State (WAC champ)     /                \                /                \ 10 Ohio State (At-Large #4)
                                                \______vs______/
                                                /              \
4 Florida (At-Large #2)       \______          /                \          ______/ 3 Texas (At-Large #1)
13 Cincinnati (BigEast champ) /      \        /                  \        /      \ 14 Boston College (ACC champ)
                                      \______/                    \______/                     
                                      /                                  \
5 USC (Pac10 chump)           \______/                                    \______/ 6 Utah (Mountain West champ)
12 Ball State (MAC champ)     /                                                  \ 11 TCU (At-Large #5)

goddamn that was hard as fuck to code right, fuck anyone who doesn't like it

anyway there are downsides, like the fact that this schedule would likely take us through mid-january and waah waah waah tradition, but fuck all that, i want this system bad. i mean, look at all the non-traditional matchups!
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Hatak » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:53 am

Final BCS Standings:

1. Oklahoma
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Alabama
5. USC
6. Utah
7. Texas Tech
8. Penn St.
9. Boise St.
10. Ohio St.

Onto the National Championship game we go!

BCS Bowls:
BCS National Championship: Oklahoma vs. Florida
Fiesta Bowl: Texas vs. Ohio St.
Rose Bowl: Penn St. vs. USC
Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati
Sugar Bowl: Utah vs. Alabama

Non-BCS Bowl of interest:
Cotton Bowl: Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech
Hatak
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby brinstar » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:57 am

Brinstar's 2008-2009 College Football Bowl Game Analysis!

BCS games

BCSCG: i'm torn between my hatred of bob stoops and my disgust for all florida teams. i guess my desire to see Big Game Bob blow another BCS game slightly outweighs the icky feeling i'll get from actually rooting for a team from that state. nothing personal of course hatak :)

rose bowl: I'd love to see JoePa get a big win, especially over USC. fuck that team, its coach, and its fans-- you put USC in the SEC or the Big 12 and they're bumping elbows with Kentucky or Baylor. the ridiculous amount of love they get from sportscasters and coaches completely ignores the fact that their only real competitors in the Lack-10 come from the state of Oregon. i had to shut off the bowl selection special when Slobberin' Lou Holtz praised USC for beating notre dame. fuck that whole circus, GO JOE

fiesta bowl: the way texas (and to a slightly lesser extent, texas tech) got jobbed out of a chance at the Big 12 Championship, i would really like to see Texas absolutely destroy ohio state-- especially if OU loses to florida. i like texas and i think colt mccoy is a better QB than bradford.

orange bowl: don't give a shit. would be nice to see VT win since they barely beat nebraska. would make NU fans feel better ("yeah we lost to VT, but JFC they won the orange bowl")

sugar bowl: gotta love seeing the little guy get a shot. Utah was the first non-BCS team to jump up and grab a BCS bowl win since the BCS era started (although their win was not as dramatic as Boise State's, for fuck's sake that was the best game i ever saw), so it would be fitting for the Utes to become the first non-BCS team with TWO wins in BCS bowls. plus john parker wilson is a douche.

non-BCS games worth commenting on:

poinsettia bowl, TCU vs Boise State: this oughta be a good one. Boise State is 60-4 in the last 4 seasons, but TCU are monsters on defense. i would like to see both teams continue to do well and eventually get into a BCS conference, they have put together really good programs in the past few years. i don't have a preference, but i will be watching in hopes that it's close.

hawaii bowl, Hawaii vs Notre Dame: are you shitting me? notre dame goes 6-6 and gets a free vacation to hawaii? go rainbow warriors, please join the long list of teams that have embarrassed this fraud of a media darling program.

champs sports bowl, Wisconsin vs Florida State: badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger (see above for my feelings of floridian teams)

emerald bowl, California vs Miami (FL): fuck florida. the whole state.

holiday bowl, Oregon vs Oklahoma State: got a feeling the ducks are in trouble. OKSt ended up 4th in their division, but that's behind the #2, #3, and #7 teams in the nation. their QB is underrated and they have a heisman quality receiver in dez bryant. i don't know anything about oregon, but they will have their hands full.

gator bowl, Nebraska vs Clemson: this should be a good matchup. both teams are at about the same level right now, NU is trying to rebound with a new coach after four crappy years with the old one, and after a rough start put together a fairly good finish to the season. Clemson had high preseason expectations but faltered a little. Should be a good matchup. husker QB joe ganz (aka Chicago Joe) might be the difference in this game, he's got a lot of fight in him.

cotton bowl, Ole Miss vs Texas Tech: you should know where my hopes lie in this one. this will be a great game -- Ole Miss hasn't got a lot of cred lately, but their 8-4 record belies the way they have played. they were a fumble (vanderbilt), a failed 4th-and-5 (Alabama), and a last second field goal (Wake Forest) away from going 11-1. They also beat florida (their only loss) and defending champs LSU. TTU, on the other hand, were a Norman-stomping away from the Big-12 title game and possibly the BCS big show. they hung huge losses on OKSt and Kansas, and edged Texas (which even mighty OU couldn't do). Harrell is one tough mofo, and if his O-line gives him enough time to choose from his legion of great WRs, Ole Miss will have a tough time keeping up. i'm kind of fucking upset that this game takes place at 1pm on a friday. guess i'll have to burn some vacation time. oh well.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Naethyn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:45 am

My prediction from preseason still stands. Tim Tebow will win the national championship.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:50 pm

You gotta love how they didn't put Texas vs. Alabama to avoid more controversy if Texas were to beat the tide (especially if they win by more than 14).
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Hatak » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 pm

One of the many reasons I'm hoping Sam Bradford and the Sooners obliterate the Gators is just so I don't have to hear any more of the Tim Tebow ass-kissing.
Hatak
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby brinstar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:08 am

yeah that's what makes it so infuriating :-x

rey: lucky for them, that didn't come up because of the BCS conference tie-ins - SEC to sugar, Big12 to fiesta. though i do see your point hehe
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Naethyn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Hatak wrote:One of the many reasons I'm hoping Sam Bradford and the Sooners obliterate the Gators is just so I don't have to hear any more of the Tim Tebow ass-kissing.

lol @ trying to beat superman.

GL
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Hatak » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:22 pm

Naethyn wrote:lol @ trying to beat superman.

GL

We'll see when Doomsday Bradford comes to town...
Hatak
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby vonkaar » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:46 am

Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure