AI to the pistons for Billups and McDyess

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

AI to the pistons for Billups and McDyess

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:21 am

(just wanted to beat Jonathan to it because I bet he shit his pants.)

it's not final yet, but discuss!
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: AI to the pistons for Billups and McDyess

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Your jersey is gonna be worthless!
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:20 pm

not mine, his! and so what, I only paid like 40 bucks for it :p
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:26 pm

40 bucks that coulda gone to a jersey that stayed current, or groceries, or some CD's, 3-4 DVD's, 2 sets of 2 movie tickets, 8 blockbuster rentals, part of your phone bill, pet food, etc etc.

Oh I got an idea! You should go get a Jordan 45 jersey next! Hot item!
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby recks » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:27 pm

At first it looked like a lateral move for both teams, now I think Detroit got the better end.

Joe Dumars is a genius. Detroit wasn't going to win this year, now they *might* have a better shot at making it out of the east. Even if they don't, both 'Sheed and Iverson are gone next year and that's like $35 mill off Detroit's books, just in time for the huge 09-10 free agent season with Wade and LeBron. Look for Detroit to make a run at these players. Or they could even try for Boozer who's a FA end of this season.

Denver's getting an aging PG with 4 years left on his contract at $10 million + each year and they won't even get McDyess as they had to buy out his contract as part of the arrangement. McDyess is going back to Detroit.

2 reasons I'm happy. 1) Iverson is relevant in the playoffs again. He won't stay with Detroit but at least he won't waste his last few years at Denver with George Karl.

2) J.R Smith just got a huge boost in minutes and he's on MY team! :hiphop:
recks
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Jay wrote:40 bucks that coulda gone to a jersey that stayed current, or groceries, or some CD's, 3-4 DVD's, 2 sets of 2 movie tickets, 8 blockbuster rentals, part of your phone bill, pet food, etc etc.

Oh I got an idea! You should go get a Jordan 45 jersey next! Hot item!

and the best part? the authentic jersey is still cheaper than one of your undershirts. besides, we got our moneys worth out of that jersey when we got to sit front row at the nuggets game~

PS - who the hell buys cd's anymore?! and pfft, part of a phone bill? my phone bill is 20 bucks a month, homeslice. I'm on the "I hate talking on the phone" plan.
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tuggan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:11 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

that would make me laugh. fuck ohio.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby vonkaar » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:40 am

I don't know why these shit-market cities keep freeing up cap room for the big 2010 names like that. They are ALL going to get MAX contracts, so they are just going to go where the endorsement deals make the most sense, they have personal ties or they have the best chance of winning.

Let's say that in 2010, these teams all have sufficient money to throw at LBJ, D-Wade, Bosh, Amare and Melo. All of them have either been in the news as potential suitors, or have openly stated that they are targeting the 2010 free-agency.

Memphis
Atlanta
New Jersey (Brooklyn) Nets
Oklahoma City
Dallas
San Antonio
Sacramento
Detroit
New York Knicks
Charlotte

And... Denver, Cleveland, Miami and Toronto would love to keep their players...

For argument's sake, we'll say that the max deal for these guys is $138m over 7 years in 2010. All of those teams are capable of offering the same terms, without having to drop any sign and trades or any silliness into the mix. Why would any of the 4 big names choose Atlanta, Memphis, OKC, Charlotte or Sacramento? Tiny market... no local endorsements... no massive-media deals... none of them even have a history of winning, great coaches or dynamic owners that 'sweeten' the deals. No reason to go there. So why do these teams bother trying to play into the market when they know so many other 'more qualified' teams are as well?

Next you have the 'winner' teams like Detroit and San Antonio. SA isn't a major market, but you basically get the chance to 'replace' Tim Duncan. Great owner, dynasty organization... They aren't targeting LBJ, they are going after Chris Bosh in 2010... and I bet they'll get him. As for Detroit, I think they'll try and repent their Darko mistake and go after Bosh, but they aren't big enough of a market for anyone... Flip isn't 'that' big of a deal... the city is depressing... and while Davidson is a great owner, I don't see Detroit as enough of a 'package' to entice anyone over any other destination. edit: Actually, there are 2 reports this morning about Detroit and Bosh... heh.. coincidence...

That leaves NY, Brooklyn & Dallas as the obvious destinations - IF they leave. Miami could very well lock Wade up next year. I think that depends on how well Beasely performs. Wade won't want to play the rest of his career on a losing team. Toronto has a decent shot at securing Chris Bosh, though I imagine he'd love to come back to his home state... dude has to be freezing his Texan ass off up there. Carmelo seems to be restless, and up until dumping Iverson, Denver seemed ready to move him. Not so sure now. Of everyone, Lebron is obviously the most anxious to leave.

The Knicks are the biggest market, but have the worst history of management and ownership over the past 5 years. Would LBJ want to move into that organization, even if D'Antoni has slightly turned it around? 10th in the East, at best. The Net's have the Jay-Z connection, better management and a little better talent...

And then there's Dallas =)
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:10 am

I looked at this deal and though how it would affect both teams. I thought of who would have the better end of the deal and I realised that these players just aren't that relevant anymore.

AI isn't half the player he used to be and Billups is likely going to be declining quite a bit in the next few years. Detroit saved a boatload of money in the next few years so I guess they win the deal. They likely got worse in the short term though, since I think Billups is the more productive player right now.

I've never been much of an Iverson fan though. A small PG that shoots 40% and throws up 20 FGs a game isn't my idea of a franchise player.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby recks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:50 am

Not relevant?

41.8 mins a game
.458 FG%
.345 3PT
.809 FT%
2.0 STL
3.0 REB
7.1 AST
26.4 PTS

Not relevant?

Only thing that has dropped in A.I's game is PPG,which is the only thing irrelevant. His ast/to ratio has improved dramatically and he's dishing the ball better than ever.

Not relevant?

He still plays the most minutes out of any player in the league.

Not relevant?

Here's a guy who constantly will get doubled, get to the line and can drop 20 on you in any quarter. One word: Explosive. No one plays with more heart than A.I. Dude puts his 33 year old body on the line for a steal, drive... anything.

Not relevant!! NOT RELEVANT! Call him anything...

*Single tear while staring out window at lone dropping leaf*

... but never call him that.
recks
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tikker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:56 am

that's a pretty scary man-crush
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:32 am

you ain't lyin
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Return to Sports and LEEZure