Hall of Famers

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Hall of Famers

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:36 pm

I don't know where this came from.. but I had the thought of, "What active athletes are worthy of the hall-of-fame at this point in their careers?"

Like... in each of the 4 majors...

The rules are simple. Active players only. If this player were to retire RIGHT NOW, have they done enough to put them in the hall-of-fame? Chris Paul and Lebron James are likely to make it some day, but they haven't done enough 'yet'.

I don't know Hockey or Baseball well enough, and I'm likely to miss a few players in the NFL, but I'll get it started for the NBA.

NBA:

Shaquile O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Jason Kidd
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki
Gary Payton

NFL:
Brett Favre
Tom Brady
P. Manning
Ray Lewis
Adam Vinatieri
Brian Urlacher
Warren Sapp
Tony Gonzales
LaDainian Tomlinson

MLB:
:dunno:

NHL:
Mike Modono

Last edited by vonkaar on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Re: Hall of Famers

Postby Naethyn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Tim Tebow
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Kramer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:58 pm

ROFL

i think Sapp doesn't play anymore, that lost looks pretty strong, i wonder about receivers though, ill have to look into that
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:03 pm

I wasn't sure about Sapp... I looked up Larry Allen and he was cut last year 8(. He'd be up above anyone but the QBs, and I'd argue above Manning. But... rule's are rules... active players only.
    Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:10 pm

vonkaar wrote:NBA:

Shaquile O'Neal
    Tim Duncan
    Kevin Garnett
    Jason Kidd
    Kobe Bryant
    Steve Nash
    Allen Iverson
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Gary Payton

Payton is retired, and I think he’s the one on the list that is least likely to get it.

Kidd, Iverson and Dirk I think would be questionable because they never won. Nash didn’t either but it’s hard to ignore a two time MVP (even if you think he didn’t deserve them).

Kobe and Shaq are a guaranteed lock to make the hall of fame unless they kill someone. Duncan and Garnett are also very likely to make it too.

Of those not mentioned I think Wade is closest if they ended their careers now. He won a championship, he’s been the best player in the league, and won playoff MVP.

I suppose the case could be made for Pierce (vomit) but he had way too much help for his MVP.
    Zanchief
    Chief Wahoo
    Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:17 pm

If Jerry Rice isn't a unanimous selection for the HOF, some people are gonna have some 'splainin to do.... Even an utterly self-centered WR like Keyshawn has said that there is no argument but that Rice was the best WR ever to play; that any other position you could argue it (like Montana vs Unitas, say), but not WR.

As for your NFL HOF list, I might add Marvin Harrison on there. If Junior Seau is playing this year (not sure if he is, and don't wanna go check) he might be on the list as well.

For the NHL, absolute locks: Brodeur and Lidstrom. Brodeur is one of the greatest goalies ever, and Lidstrom one of the best D-men. Beyond those, Shanahan will make it I'm pretty sure (dunno if he fits your list though, as he's not playing so far this year, but wants to.) Same thing with Sundin (same situation as Shanny). Brodeur is an absolute lock for sure. Scott Niedermayer probably will make it, as will Chris Pronger and probably Selanne as well (since all 3 got their Cup last year). Iginla stands a good chance, especially if he ever gets a cup. People like Crosby and Malkin might someday, but haven't accomplished near enough yet.

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:28 pm

Jerry Rice isn't playing... But, yeah... I love he. And I've read several arguments that if you had a hall of fame that only allowed two people in it, it'd be him and Jim Brown.

Forgot about Marvin Harrison though =/.

Zanchief, there are *loads* of players enshrined in the hall that never won a ring... Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Reggie Miller, Ewing, Wilkins... and that's just the dominant-player list of 'last' generation. You put waaaay too much emphasis on winning a ring... if voters had to choose between Lebron and Wade RIGHT NOW, there's no way Wade (missing like, 90 games in his career and winning a championship with Shaq and the most questionable officiating EVER) vs Lebron (making it to the finals ALONE and missing maybe 10 games in his career while putting up oscar robertson numbers) would make any sort of a debate. Lebron, any day.

Paul Pierce hasn't done anything HoF worthy prior to last season. He got a ring because of a single freak off-season trade blitz. You couldn't possibly make a case for putting him as a top ten talent over the past decade.

Nash, Dirk & Kidd easily make that.

Dirk and Nash have been first or 2nd-team All-NBA for the past 4 years.

Or... just use the databasebasketball cheat sheet:
    http://databasebasketball.com/leaders/leadershof.htm

That's one of hollinger's love-children websites... the site is pretty freaking dead on.

And... yeah... Duncan, Shaq & Kobe are the no-brainers.

edit: just saw you put Iverson on the 'questionable' list. Are you fucking kidding me?? Good god man.

Gary Payton will make it in on first ballot. I'd bet 100 AMERICAN DOLLAH on that. He's so underrated it's sick. You are way too east-conf. He was amazing in Seattle... just... finished his career with a... uh... bleh.

Someone do the baseball list cuz I sucks at that.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Tikker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:07 pm

vonkaar wrote:I

NFL:
    Brett Favre
    Tom Brady
    P. Manning
    Ray Lewis
    Adam Vinatieri
    Brian Urlacher
    Warren Sapp
    Tony Gonzales
    LaDainian Tomlinson

NHL:
    Mike Modono

Favre yes, Brady Yes, Manning Yes, Lewis Yes, Vinatieri Yes, Urlacher No, Sapp Hell no, Gonzales probably, Tomlinson probably
    Possibly a guy like Jeff Feagles could slip in, mostly for playing 57 seasons or something retarded
    wiki wrote:Through the end of the 2007 NFL season, Feagles holds the following NFL records:

* Most consecutive games played, career: 320 (streak still active)
    * Most punts, career: 1,585
    * Most punts inside the 20, career: 508
    * Most punting yards, career: 65,793

NHL:

Modano? not in my opinion, but he'll probably get in at some point
    Mark Rechi, Roenick, Brind'amour are in exact same position
    All highly productive, but have never ever been the best player in the league at any point, nor even the best player at their position. lots of times not even the best player on their own team

Sergei Fedorov may get in, but is definitely not a 1st ballot guy

Joe Sakic
    Teemu Selanne
    Lidstrom for sure
    Brodeur for sure(may end up a top 5 overall player)
    Jagr is playing in russia this year, but I'll toss him on the list
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Arlos wrote:Shanahan will make it I'm pretty sure
    Same thing with Sundin
    Scott Niedermayer probably will make it, as will Chris Pronger
    Iginla stands a good chance

this is for guys who would make the list tomorrow

Shanahan was a good goal scorer, but never won the scoring race, mvp, etc. there's tons of guys in this category, much like Sundin
    they should NOT make the HoF since they were not absolutely dominant players

Niedermayer will not make the Hall since he was hidden in NJ's trap system for way too long. he's outstanding, but didn't get to play for a team that showcased him like Anaheim does now. If neidermayer played in pittsburgh/edmonton he would probably have been a consensus 1st ballot winner

Pronger might have a shot. he's been very dominant for a long time, has a cup, has a MVP trophy
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:24 pm

vonkaar wrote:Zanchief, there are *loads* of players enshrined in the hall that never won a ring... Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Reggie Miller, Ewing, Wilkins... and that's just the dominant-player list of 'last' generation. You put waaaay too much emphasis on winning a ring... if voters had to choose between Lebron and Wade RIGHT NOW, there's no way Wade (missing like, 90 games in his career and winning a championship with Shaq and the most questionable officiating EVER) vs Lebron (making it to the finals ALONE and missing maybe 10 games in his career while putting up oscar robertson numbers) would make any sort of a debate. Lebron, any day.

Paul Pierce hasn't done anything HoF worthy prior to last season. He got a ring because of a single freak off-season trade blitz. You couldn't possibly make a case for putting him as a top ten talent over the past decade.

Nash, Dirk & Kidd easily make that.

Dirk and Nash have been first or 2nd-team All-NBA for the past 4 years.

Or... just use the databasebasketball cheat sheet:
    http://databasebasketball.com/leaders/leadershof.htm

That's one of hollinger's love-children websites... the site is pretty freaking dead on.

And... yeah... Duncan, Shaq & Kobe are the no-brainers.

edit: just saw you put Iverson on the 'questionable' list. Are you fucking kidding me?? Good god man.

Gary Payton will make it in on first ballot. I'd bet 100 AMERICAN DOLLAH on that. He's so underrated it's sick. You are way too east-conf. He was amazing in Seattle... just... finished his career with a... uh... bleh.

Someone do the baseball list cuz I sucks at that.

Jeez I was just trying to mix things up. I don't really disagree with any of them...except maybe Payton.

I do think Wade has accomplished far more than Lebron though. I'd vote him in before Lebron. I know you hate Wade a bit because you got robbed.

I'm surprised some of those players made it in though. Ewing and Reggie Miller? (See I hate the east too).
    Zanchief
    Chief Wahoo
    Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:43 pm

actually... you are right... Miller isn't in yet... not eligible for 2 more years... but he'll make it np.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby recks » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:35 pm

I will be interested to see if Dennis Rodman makes it into the HOF.
    recks
    NT Froglok
    NT Froglok

Postby Arlos » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:36 pm

I can't believe I forgot Sakic.

I wonder how big a shot Forsberg has. Can't argue with his dominance when he was healthy, and he has a couple cups on his resume, but given his health situation, that resume is kinda short.

I think Modano will make it just cause he has the record for most goals by an american, if I remember right. He might not be a first-balloter, but I think he'll make it.

I still am confident Niedermayer will make it. While he was buried in NJ's trap system, he was still right next to the NY media market, and thus had massive exposure to a lot of the media that would need to vote him in. (that whole east coast bias thing). Plus he has the fact that he was viewed as dominant while he was there (though probably not as dominant as Stevens was considered), and then he played at least as well or better when he got out west, and formed a major part of the backbone of a cup-winning team.... Yeah, I think he gets in.

Oh, and Vonk, the Rice thing was an admitted digression. :) I only mention it cause no one has ever been a unanimous HOF selection, but he damn well better be, or whoever DOESN'T vote for him should have their voting credentials revoked. Ahhhh, watching him turn 8 yard slants into 80 yard TDs was such a beautiful thing... OK, I have to stop now, remembering the 49ers as they were only makes me more depressed about the 49ers as they are now....

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Griever » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:08 pm

I hate to say it but Terrell Owens will make the HOF. Probably Eli Manning as well.

Edit: Marvin Harrison too.

Edit x2: Oh, you guys already said Harrison.
    Griever
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:55 pm

vonkaar wrote:MLB:

drem might be better at this (especially with AL teams) but i'll take a shot:

ken griffey, jr.
    ichiro suzuki
    gary sheffield
    mariano rivera
    alex rodriguez
    randy johnson
    albert pujols
    manny ramirez
    greg maddux
    compost the rich
    brinstar
    Cat Crew
    Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:05 pm

Arlos wrote:I wonder how big a shot Forsberg has. Can't argue with his dominance when he was healthy, and he has a couple cups on his resume, but given his health situation, that resume is kinda short.

Forsberg was good, but again, never lead the league in goals/assists/pts

Arlos wrote:I think Modano will make it just cause he has the record for most goals by an american, if I remember right. He might not be a first-balloter, but I think he'll make it.

we don't let guys in because they're the leading goal scorer from denmark/holland/japan etc
    Modano is something like 29th or 30th all time in goals scored, never lead the league, etc etc
    It wouldn't be a long shot or anything for him to make it eventually. he's like Mike Gartner lite

Arlos wrote:I still am confident Niedermayer will make it. While he was buried in NJ's trap system, he was still right next to the NY media market, and thus had massive exposure to a lot of the media that would need to vote him in. (that whole east coast bias thing). Plus he has the fact that he was viewed as dominant while he was there (though probably not as dominant as Stevens was considered), and then he played at least as well or better when he got out west, and formed a major part of the backbone of a cup-winning team.... Yeah, I think he gets in.

neidermayer was an afterthought the whole time he was in NJ with Stevens. he was the most under-rated player in the entire league that entire time. He's awesome, but he's never done anything to actually get in the Hall.
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:39 pm

Oh... Trevor Hoffman... isn't he a shoe-in? In-laws in San Diego made that case and freaked out when I never heard of him. The only major league pitchers I could name of the past 20 years were Roger Clemens and Nolan Ryan =p.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby brinstar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 pm

ahh yeah, hoffman might need to be on that list. i intentionally left clemens off, because he might be barred re: steroids in the end
    compost the rich
    brinstar
    Cat Crew
    Cat Crew

Postby Diekan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:11 am

I have to agree. If Rice isn't inducted then something is seriously wrong.
    Diekan
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Drem » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:55 pm

brinstar wrote:
    vonkaar wrote:MLB:

drem might be better at this (especially with AL teams) but i'll take a shot:

ken griffey, jr.
    ichiro suzuki
    gary sheffield
    mariano rivera
    alex rodriguez
    randy johnson
    albert pujols
    manny ramirez
    greg maddux

[baseball]

are we talkin about current players only or just players that deserve it period?

it's pretty tough to say right now. there are a few long time players and you just listed a few of the ones i'd pick. honestly i feel like after the strike and everything that baseball's kind of re-invigorated and there are a lot more prospects and minor leaguers that came out of nowhere. i don't know very many solid standbies right now, just a bunch of new people that are trying to make a name for themselves

to do this list correclty we need to follow BBWAA and pick players for each position. so, my picks would be:

pitcher: C.C. Sabathia

relief pitcher: Brad Lidge or Francisco Rodriguez

catcher: Geovany Soto

1st: Pujols or Lance Berkman

2nd: Dustin Pedroia for sure

SS: Michael Young or Hanley Ramirez.... maybe even Jose Reyes

3rd: A Rod would probably get it, but I think David Wright from the Mets is better

right field: Magglio Ordonez because i'm a Tigers fanboi.... tho in reality Ryan Ludwick would be the best prospect

center: Curtis Granderson! Another Tiger! but really probably Carlos Beltran

left: Manny unfortunately. not due to his defensive abilities. I'd also bet on Matt Holliday

DH: David Ortiz, Jim Thome, Aubrey Huff, dunno. that's a hard one to judge

as far as people that just deserve it.... Goose Gossage should be in there for sure

[/baseball]
    Drem
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:46 pm

i think the scheme was supposed to be "active players that, if they quit today, would deserve to jump straight into cooperstown for all they've done in their careers"

you named some pretty good players, but not many that IMO could retire RIGHT NOW and walk straight into the hall of fame

i think my strongest insta-HoF nominee is Maddux, i mean come on, he won NL Cy Young 4 years in a row!
    compost the rich
    brinstar
    Cat Crew
    Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:59 am

Chauncy Billups
    Yao Ming
    Dikembe Mutumbo (Wasn't he good once upon a time?)
    Maybe because of the rings and playoffs MVP but Tony Parker

Football
    Randy Moss
    Devin Hester (He's broken several records already)

On the subject of Payton, yeah he does deserve it, but not for anything he's done recently.
    leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
    Jay
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Griever » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Breaking records doesn't make you hall of fame worthy. If Hester gets more time and experience playing WR, maybe. But he will not make the HoF just based on his merit as a kick returner.
    Griever
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Griever wrote:Breaking records doesn't make you hall of fame worthy. If Hester gets more time and experience playing WR, maybe. But he will not make the HoF just based on his merit as a kick returner.

that's a huge part of why Gayle Sayers is in the hall tho
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Griever » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 pm

Gayle Sayers was a very successful running back as well as an outstanding kick returner. His versatility put him in the hall.

Hester isn't at that point yet.
    Griever
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Next

Return to Sports and LEEZure