NBA playoffs

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: NBA playoffs

Postby Lyion » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Hmm, I dislike the Magic and Lakers. I dislike both Van Grumpy and Phil.

Well, at least Boston won't win this year. That's something.

I predict Lakers win it in 5. That is unless they take games off like they have throughout the playoffs.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:12 am

Lyion wrote:I dislike both Van Grumpy and Phil.

Why? I like both of them a lot - totally different coaching styles, though.

I don't think the Lakers will take it so easily in 5 - I think the Magic will win at least 2 at home.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:29 am

I think Phil is overrated, and has always benefited from elite players, and his zenmaster triangle voodoo again is overrated. I do think he's a good guy, though.

I just think Van Gundy is a chump and a jerk. Shaq was right.

The Lakers should win in 5, but since they take games off it could easily go 7. I think they'll win it in 5, though. I think the Magic matched up well with the Cavs. They do not match up well with the Lakers, who have more pieces than Cleveland.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:05 am

Lyion wrote:They do not match up well with the Lakers, who have more pieces than Cleveland.

Regular season disagrees with you there - only big difference will be them not having Nelson, but their bench has been huge for them in the playoffs thus far (read: Pietrus. I've also really like Lee - I think in a couple years time he'll be fantastic.)

I think it'll be a pretty competitive series - I'm a Kobe fan and I like Gasol a lot too, but I'm still pulling for the Magic, if not to win than to at least keep things interesting - I think they'll deliver there for sure. Like I said, I think they'll win at least 2 at home.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:07 am

Jordon never won until Phil arrived...
Shaq never won until Phil arrived...
Kobe never won until Phil arrived...

I'm not saying that he's the best ever like many people believe... he has clearly been out coached before, especially with Larry Brown. But - it's hard to argue with success. And as far as, "he's always had talent..." well, no shit. Name a single top ten coach who has won the championship in the past THIRTY years without a FIRST-BALLOT hall-of-famer. Larry Brown - that's it. Go down the list...

Though... Van Gundy is a jerk.

Lakers in 6.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Lyion » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:42 am

vonkaar wrote:Jordon never won until Phil arrived...
Lakers in 6.

I seem to recall Shaq winning in Miami. Maybe you remember that?

Kobe was a teenager before Phil arrived. A lot of raw talent there, but still amazing potential and growth. There's no comparison between Kobe in 1997, Kobe in 2001, and even Kobe today.

Jackson benefited from timing, ascending to the Bulls head coaching position during the turnover of the old Laker's and Celtic guard. I think he's a GOOD coach, however my opinion is he's a bit overrated. Coaching team's with Jordan, then Kobe and Shaq show he is definitely smart enough to get himself in the best position. I think Rodman and Pippen were great roleplayers and I think Phil had a team he gelled with. I also think Jackson wrecked a potential dynasty in L.A. So much for the peaceful Zen.

You can't argue with the hardware and Phil has the titles. He's gotten it done, but I think more of that was his situation than his coaching. Again, that's just my opinion. If he had beat a better Celtics team last year, that would have been something else.

In regards to your coaches who win titles without superstars deal: Given the nature of the league, the separation in talent, the rather dubious officiating, and their desire for dynasties, it's tough to compare coaches. My point is unlike the NFL, basketball is won by the players, and occasionally by officiating. It is very rarely won by coaching. When the Rockets won in the 90s, it had nothing to do with coaching. It had everything to do with Olajuwon kicking ass.

Phil is doing more with less, since his team isn't ridiculously better, but it isn't like he took the Clippers or Bullets to the finals.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Lyion wrote:
vonkaar wrote:Jordon never won until Phil arrived...
Lakers in 6.

I seem to recall Shaq winning in Miami. Maybe you remember that?

lol

perhaps you missed the key word in all of my statements

until

until != WITHOUT

Jordon was with the bulls for 4 years and was a truly amazing player. Led the league in scoring twice, got his first MVP... but couldn't get out of the playoffs, often losing early. Then Phil Jackson arrives, and they win it all... and repeated it 5 times. Shaq and Kobe were teammates for 3 years and repeatedly lost early in the playoffs ('96 lost 3-1 to the Rockets in round1, '97 lost 3-1 to the Jazz in round2, '98 lost 4-1 to the Jazz in round3). Phil Jackson arrives and they again make it to round2 but lose to the eventual champions - San Antonio. Then the 'dynasty' begins and they win 3 in a row.

So... 3 great players... did amazing things early in their careers - but never won until Phil Jackson arrived.

If you are so dismissive of coaches ("nba is all about the players, blahblah"), why call 'any' of them overrated? Since good or bad coaching makes no difference (in your mind), why is Phil Jackson any more overrated than any coach? Pat Riley won EVERY TIME with ridiculous talent. Is he overrated? Greg Popavich enjoyed the presence of one of the greatest players ever - is he overrated? If all coaches basically amount to '0' in your book, why knock any of them?

Oh, and... Hakeem's rockets won for a single reason - Jordon's dad died. Rudy T is a great coach, and those Rockets were amazing... but they would not have beaten the Bulls with Jordon.

Finally... if you honestly blame Phil Jackson for the feud between Kobe and Shaq, then I'm not going to argue with you. You have some strange bias against him and I can't help that.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Susvain » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:04 pm

this season doesnt count. fuck the magic fuck the lakers, there is no one worth rooting for left in the playoffs. dwight howard sucks.
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Susvain lives in MA btw :wink:
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:43 pm

vonkaar wrote:If you are so dismissive of coaches ("nba is all about the players, blahblah"), why call 'any' of them overrated? Since good or bad coaching makes no difference (in your mind), why is Phil Jackson any more overrated than any coach? Pat Riley won EVERY TIME with ridiculous talent. Is he overrated? Greg Popavich enjoyed the presence of one of the greatest players ever - is he overrated? If all coaches basically amount to '0' in your book, why knock any of them?

I think RIley, Jackson, and Popovich are good coaches. However, Phil has the much better rep, and I feel he isn't. That's pretty much all there is to that.

vonkaar wrote:Oh, and... Hakeem's rockets won for a single reason - Jordon's dad died. Rudy T is a great coach, and those Rockets were amazing... but they would not have beaten the Bulls with Jordon..

Which somewhat reinforces my point about player/coach dynamic. Riley looks like the greatest coach in the world when he trots out titles with Magic, Scott, Kareem, Worthy, and crew. Likewise Phil with Jordan, Rodman, etc, and Popovich with the S.A. crew.

I think bad coaches can be outfoxed. Hi, Mike Brown. However, I think good teams and coaches put their players in a position to win and it comes down to that. The NBA ain't the NFL in regards to the impact of coaching.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:12 pm

heh, well we pretty much agree then

damnit, I was enjoying an NBA debate... haven't had one in a while. Say something negative about Dirk
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Arlos » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 am

What can you say bad about Dirk? I mean, he even has AWESOME taste in women he dates. ;)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:44 am

vonkaar wrote:heh, well we pretty much agree then

damnit, I was enjoying an NBA debate... haven't had one in a while. Say something negative about Dirk

I like Dirk.

Now, Mark Cuban? Complete douchenozzle. Bad for the NBA. Spoiled brats who make millions from Internet bubble inflated stock make piss poor owners.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:14 am

vonkaar wrote:heh, well we pretty much agree then

He choked against GS?
Last edited by Zanchief on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 am

get your crazy canuck spelling of "choked" out of here.

I hate all of you
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:58 pm

I see nothing.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:59 am

good game1. They can't stop Kobe... freaking Pietrus on him? They are so screwed.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:25 pm

Well I don't think the result means the Magic are done. Three point shooting teams always get blown out when they don't hit their shots. Next game they could go 15/22 for three and win by 20. So goes the life of a shooting team.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:16 pm

I only saw around 10 missed shots last night that were completely uncontested. If they hit ALL of those, *and* Phil still decided to bench his starters late in the 4th, then maybe it would have made a difference. Orlando has no options for Kobe... J.J. was seemingly their best candidate, and I'm sure Kobe would *love* to play against him all night. Yes, Orlando's poor shooting was a factor, but I chalk that up to 'great defense' more than 'lid on the basket'. L.A. can continue to play great defense, and Orlando can improve their shooting - but Kobe isn't going to be stopped this series. The Lakers simply appear to be better prepared than Orlando. But that's a nod to superior coaching, and we wouldn't mention that in this thread ;).

Still... this reminds me of 2006. We are either going to have a sweep, or the Refs are going to start blowing whistles like crazy. Dwight Howard will be untouchable. Gasol and Bynum will have 3-4 fouls each in the first half and Howard will dominate. If that happens, expect it to go to seven.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Lyion » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:52 am

Gypsiyee wrote:
Lyion wrote:They do not match up well with the Lakers, who have more pieces than Cleveland.

Regular season disagrees with you there - only big difference will be them not having Nelson, but their bench has been huge for them in the playoffs thus far (read: Pietrus. I've also really like Lee - I think in a couple years time he'll be fantastic.)

I think it'll be a pretty competitive series - I'm a Kobe fan and I like Gasol a lot too, but I'm still pulling for the Magic, if not to win than to at least keep things interesting - I think they'll deliver there for sure. Like I said, I think they'll win at least 2 at home.

Newp.

They are down 3-1, heading back to L.A.

As Don Meredith sang: "Turn out the lights, the parties over."

LA in 5, just like I said.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:13 am

er, they play in orlando on sunday.
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 am

2-3-2 in the finals
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Lyion » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:49 am

DIdn't matter.

It's a shame the Cav's didn't make it to the finals. It would've been a better series.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:48 am

jesus, they played like shit.
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:31 am

And thus it begins....the long hot dark of summer with nothing but baseball until football season.....
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure