Olympic

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Olympic

Postby Phlegm » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:57 pm

anyone watching the olympics? I am hooked on curling. Can't get enough of it.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Olympic

Postby brinstar » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:22 pm

should care

but have no fuck to give
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby leah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:47 pm

i've heard a lot of people expressing new interest in curling.

personally i'm not much interested in the olympics but i do love men's figure skating. evan lysacek is my olympic boyfriend.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Drem » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:51 pm

the russia/czech hockey game today was pretty good. the competitive downhill thing w/ four dudes racing at once was badass. and all the snowboarding/skiing in general
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:48 am

The USA/Canada hockey game was one of the best games I've ever seen. I am sure our local Canadians would disagree, given the result, but...

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 am

Not a hockey fan but I'm all for Americans beating Canadians at their own sport.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby ClakarEQ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:03 am

I've been watching as much as I can.

I think the mens downhill BMX style racing is fun to watch but you can pick the winner the moment they start. Out of all the races I think only 2 times did someone actually pass someone else.

The problem with that race is the near impossibility of passing.

All the downhill ski events have been fun to watch, the figure skating was just ho hum, I'm waiting for someone to post an image of that Russian guy talking shit about the quad over on FoH. I mean, a male figure skater is taking smack about not doing a quad, and if you can't your like a pussy or some shit. A male figure skater? /laugh :P
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby leah » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:06 pm

i can't remember, did plushenko do a quad or not? either way, i was pretty psyched when lysacek beat him out for gold. kind of unexpected, and a very close matchup.

i feel like weir didn't get appropriately high scores considering how clean his performance was--i thought he should've ranked higher than that wee azn boy who fell!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Phlegm » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:55 pm

leah wrote: evan lysacek is my olympic boyfriend.

Is he the gay guy wearing the crown of roses?
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Phlegm wrote:

haha no, pretty sure you're talking about johnny weir. although i <3 him too. evan is the gold medalist who i'm not even sure is gay...
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gidan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:40 pm

I have watched just about everything I was able to. The US vs Canada Hockey game was the best thing I have seen so far though.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Kramer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:12 am

sean white blows my mind... everything else except ski jumping/downhill pretty much makes me fall asleep
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby leah » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:37 am

leah wrote:
    Phlegm wrote:

haha no, pretty sure you're talking about johnny weir. although i <3 him too. evan is the gold medalist who i'm not even sure is gay...

update: evan is dating blonde hottie gymnast nastia liukin from the summer olympics. SADFACE. but at least he's not gay, lol.

also, ice dancing finals were a lot of fun on sunday :D
    lolz
    leah
    Preggers!
    Preggers!

Postby Arlos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Gold medal game in Hockey was insanely good. I mean, how can it get better than a gold medal game going to OT, and getting decided there and not in a shootout? If Canada was going to win, I just wish it hadn't have been Crosby that scored, as he really was invisible for the entire game, and for a lot of the tournament. Still though, that was one insanely good game. I figure that businesses in Canada will be largely shut down tomorrow, as 50% of the population is going to be completely hung over. ;)

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:10 pm

That was the best hockey game I can remember seeing. Even though I am a Penguins fan I think Crosby is a bit overrated. Yeah, he IS good, but he's not AS good as he's made out to be. Did you hear his snide little remark at the end when he was being interviewed? "It was closed than we thought" - as if what.... they were going to come out there and score 10 goals to none or something? Wonder if he'll remember that when he's living in Pittsburgh collecting his American paycheck.

I loved seeing Lindsey Vonn falling on her ass... that chick reeks of narcissism.
    Diekan
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:27 am

Game was not as close as score indicated. 3 posts

Should have been a Canadian blow out
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby ClakarEQ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 am

Yeah yeah yeah. shoulda woulda coulda, but you didn't. Game was a great game and teams were obviously pretty even across the board.
    ClakarEQ
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:08 am

Tikker wrote:Game was not as close as score indicated. 3 posts

Should have been a Canadian blow out

Maybe so, but the US team had a better record throughout the tournament. It's not like they were a cakewalk. Canada got pretty lucky actually.

I wish it wasn't Crosby who scored the OT winner though.
    Zanchief
    Chief Wahoo
    Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:16 pm

I don't understand the dislike for crosby

it's not like he's a floater, or a cherry picker

he works hard, plays decent defense, and is one of the top offensive players in the world

he's not my favourite player out there, but absolutely everyone in the world would want him on their team
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Because he's whiner. Anyone who's in his position with all the fan fair and attention shouldn't be a whiner the way he is. It's the one thing I can't stand with my athletes.
    Zanchief
    Chief Wahoo
    Chief Wahoo

Postby Diekan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Crosby is no Gretzky, not by a long shot - but the media is trying to paint him as such. Now, that in itself is not his fault - he has no control over that, but he does whine and he is a bit pompous. Again, I refer to the little snide remark he made at the conclusion of the Gold Medal match where he said "We didn't think it would be this close." Really? After team USA already beat you 5 to 2 you though you were just going to waltz out there and nail 10 goals to nothing? Seriously, Sidney?

He is good, he is certainly an above average player, no question. But, he's no where near the "best" in the league. Again, I'm not saying it's his fault for the media hype, it certainly isn't - the media picks and chooses who they want as their golden boy, but again I will say he has gotten pompous and arrogant and he does whine.

And now that he happened to be in the right place at the right time to catch Miller off-guard it's going to get even worse.

Believe it or not I am a Penguins fan (grew up about 3 hours from the Pitts)... So I can't complain when he adds a goal or two to games, but if he were traded I wouldn't exactly miss him. Losing Crosby wouldn't be like losing a Brady or a Manning - it'd be more like losing a good running back when you have two or three in the line up are just as good.
    Diekan
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Diekan wrote: Really? After team USA already beat you 5 to 2 you though you were just going to waltz out there and nail 10 goals to nothing? Seriously, Sidney?

he's not alone

in first game, brodeur gave away 4 goals, otherwise that game would have been a shit kicking as well

as for whether or not he's the best player in the league, you could debate that all night long, but he's EASILY a top 5 player in the world right now
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Tuggan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Uh... what 2 or 3 guys are just as good as Crosby on Pittsburgh?

I hate the little fucker. Beat my team for the cup, then scored the winner for gold. He's a phenomenal talent, he's a leader and a clutch player. He's getting better and being responsible with the puck, learning (very quickly i might add) to be a better two way player. Couple more years and there isn't going to be any debate on who's better. Ovie is exciting as hell to watch, but Crosby is going to end up the better all around player.
    Tuggan
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Return to Sports and LEEZure