Eagles trade McNabb

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Eagles trade McNabb

Postby Arlos » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 am

To the Redskins, of all teams. Great move for the 'Skins, I think. That's Shanahan at work.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5055346

Thoughts?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Eagles trade McNabb

Postby Tikker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 am

As a steelers fan I'm used to a team moving a player still productive before the big dropoff. But I don't like this move

I kinda think you don't ever move a productive qb when your a playoff contender

Unless they have conceeded that they can't win with mcnabb and are starting over
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:49 am

Redskins still don't have an O-Line. McNabb will be living that Giants game where he got sacked 50 times every week.

Great move for the Eagles IMO. The skins 2nd rounder is essentially equal to a late 1st rounder, so the Eagles are keeping a young core of phenominal players and have something like 7 picks in the top 4 rounds.

They're making moves like me in Madden. Trade/Cut aging skill players for picks and pay the huge bucks for the top under 30 offensive and defensive linemen. Superbowl every year!
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Haylo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:55 am

I think it's a bad move for the Eagles and potentially a good move for us (the 'skins) provided we back up his acquisition with some decent O-line players. The problem I have with the Eagles trading him is that he's basically responsible for all of their playoff success thus far. It's not as if they have a playoff team without him. As if replace the QB and the rest of the team is able to make it to the Big Game. I don't know that they would have anywhere near the success they have had with him if they had another QB. The man is a play maker. Yes he can do some stupid stuff but that's any QB. I always hated when we played the Eagles because McNabb can make your defense look so damn bad.

Anyways stupid Eagles move, potentially brilliant Redskins move but my faith in the 'Skins ability to get an O-line that's actually going to give a QB time to go through his motions is very low. Time will tell.
Tasya
Undead Priest
Malfurion
Haylo
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tikker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 am

there's gonna be big problems in DC

i'm not sure how happy that backfield is going to be with portis, johnson and parker now
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Griever » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 am

The backfield doesn't need to be happy. Shanahan has said that it is an open competition and that the best player will start (which I believe will be Willie Parker since he is a better fit for Shanahan's zone-blocking run scheme). You really think if Portis acts like his usual self that Shanahan will put up with it? Look at Haynesworth. He decided not to workout with the team despite Shanahan's request and the Skins tried to include him in the trade for McNabb. Shanahan is no push-over.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:39 pm

don't get me wrong, I like shanahan

salary cap issues will always tie your hands to a certain extent

shanahan did dump portis once already ;)

ps, I think willie parker is finished :(
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Haylo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:23 pm

I can't stand Clinton Portis so I really hope that one of the other running backs shows up and takes his job.
Tasya
Undead Priest
Malfurion
Haylo
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Phlegm » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Tikker wrote:don't get me wrong, I like shanahan

salary cap issues will always tie your hands to a certain extent

shanahan did dump portis once already ;)

ps, I think willie parker is finished :(

No cap this coming year so the rich team can load up.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:59 pm

does this mean brennan is still backup? :(
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:09 pm

its likely only 1 year capless

I don't think too many owners are going to go crazy

i would absolutely hate to see 1 or 2 teams buy their way to a championship, convincing the rest of the league that that's the way to go (aka baseball)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:29 am

Tikker wrote:(aka baseball)

and yet the yankess haven't succeeded like they've wanted to in a while. and they spend more on one person than the entire tampa bay rays' salary. and steal curtis granderson

fuck money in sports

and my catcher got sent to the nationals :(

but we're still kickin ass
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:41 am

I still love the move for the eagles. I said it about Warner last year and was wrong, but I don't see McNabb having any more 100% healthy seasons. The Eagles could have 1 or maybe 2 more competitive years before rebuilding a QB for a couple years.

Why not do that now while the skill players are young and sacrifice this year for about 5-6 highly competitive years in the future which McNabb wouldn't be around for anyway? With all the picks they have they could probably take Clausen in the 2nd round as insurance since he'll fall with Washington not needing a QB now. Or someone like Tony Pike in the 3rd or 4th.

I still think the Rams should blow it out this year and trade their 2nd round pick this year and 1st next year to move back up into the top 5 after they take Bradford #1 to get one of those hoss DT or OTs available. Any team in the top 5 would make that trade unless someone is bee-lining for Berry or Suh.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Drem wrote:yankess haven't succeeded

cept for last year?

otherwise i agree
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew