NHL Playoffs about to start

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: NHL Playoffs about to start

Postby Phlegm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:12 pm

The top 3 seeds in the east all lost. Halak was awesome for Montreal.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 pm

washington = only slightly more overrated than SJ
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tuggan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:57 pm

honestly didn't think the canadiens had it in them, was shocked to see them get 3 in a row.

i failed in spectacular fashion with my original predictions, so who else wants to look silly with predictions for the semifinals?

going with:
penguins
flyers
wings
canucks
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Atalya » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Sharks will choke this round. They can't make the conference finals.
Atalya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Arlos » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:16 pm

They just had a good game against the Wings. We'll see if they can keep the momentum going.

Remember, the Wings went through exactly something like this too, before they finally broke through. I wouldn't call myself confident at all at this point, but that win was a huge step in the right direction.

Oh, and hey, how good has Joe Pavelski been, eh?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby ClakarEQ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Not saying the wings would win the series but there were some BS calls from the refs at last nights wings game. I will say the minnows got some lucky quick shots off in period one but had the refing been a bit better, I'm confident that game would have gone to OT and then who knows who would-a won.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:48 pm

There were BS calls and non-calls both ways, it was hardly even remotely one-sided. Don't even try and go there. :)

And lucky shots? You call dominating around the net and good passes to be lucky? Lucky is like how the Avs won game 1 of that series, the insanely lucky deflection off of a D-man's skate into the net. Last night, the sharks swarmed the net, the Wings D fell asleep, and the Sharks made them pay. They were the product of good play and hard work, just like the 3 goals the Wings got.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tuggan » Sun May 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Arlos wrote:There were BS calls and non-calls both ways, it was hardly even remotely one-sided. Don't even try and go there. :)

How about this evening? That bullshit was frustrating to watch. Even as a SJ fan you gotta thank the refs for that one.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Sun May 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Yeah, that was a lot of BS. Note that it did go both ways, though. Just look at the penalty on Marleau, and that later on on Heatley.

Some of them were legit penalties, too, especially that too many men on the ice one.

Still, yes, I'll definitely agree that the sharks got more bad calls that went their way than the reverse. Even without that, though, they carried much of the play, and even 5 on 5, a lot of it was in Detroit's end. Hell, just look at the faceoff totals. Wings lost nearly 2/3 of the faceoffs in the game, that's a huge issue right there, apart from anything else. That would have bit them in the ass, refs or no refs.

You're definitely right, though, they called a lot of ticky tack crap, didn't call a lot of blatant stuff, and was all around a bad game by the refs. Blaming the entire loss on it though, would be wrong.

Oh, and I, for one, welcome our new Pavelski overlords. ;) Has he been utterly insane so far or what? Datsyuk has been really really really good for Detroit too, I must say. He scares the crap out of me every time he has the puck. Still, I'd easily have Pavelski as one of the top 2-3 leading Conn Smyth candidates for the playoffs thus far.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Sun May 02, 2010 10:25 pm

nabokov is looking like his usual self tho, that's got to be troubling

how many pucks did he bobble, and almost drop into the net tonight?

I don't give a shit about either of these teams, but nabokov just scares the shit out of me as a starting goalie
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sun May 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Still,

-Arlos

edit: to contribute, isn't it tragic that imperfect officiating can have such a big impact on a sport? you name the sport, there are near-infinite examples of blown calls (or no-calls) that can ruin a game-- phantom pass interference, plays at the plate, etc
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Mon May 03, 2010 5:57 am

he's just really weird leave him alone. it's not even his sig he actually types that out every post just so we don't forget

-Arlos
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tuggan » Mon May 03, 2010 7:07 am

I miss the NHL playoffs when teams were allowed to play hockey :-x

and I don't know which game you were watching Arlos, but the face off stats and shot totals don't paint a very good picture for the game. That was a close game even with the massive power play time advantage for SJ. Game was close all the way to the end until Detroit shot themselves in the foot with the too many men call. The gift wrapped 5 on 3 power play goal that got your boys back into the game, then SJ got lucky with Lidstrom snapping his stick for the 3 on 1 charge. With 20 minutes of power play time, it should have been pure domination for the sharks.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Mon May 03, 2010 7:23 am

I never really felt like Detroit was in the game last night. I do agree it should have been more lopsided for sj with how they dominated the circles.

As to letting the teams play, right after the game CBC showed the 94 final with Vancouver and the rangers. I remember that game as fantastic hockey. They didn't call any kind of obstruction back then. It was fucking painful to watch. Everyone was hooking grabbing etc. The game is way faster and better now
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby ClakarEQ » Mon May 03, 2010 7:29 am

Arlos, the refing between San and Det is far more San leaning and I'm not just saying that from a Detroit fan. Seriously look at the 3 pens that Bertuzzi(sp) took and not one, even the san jose sports casters were like, WTF that's hockey that shouldn't have been called.

Regarding the 1st game, luck is having the puck squirt out to your stick and you hitting it in, skill is getting a pass and hitting it in. 2 of the 3 first goals san had in game 1 were luck, not skill.

Yesterdays game was near zero luck on both sides, and I don't think any puck got in the net that wasn't a "skill" shot. The wings lost IMO cause of the refing, again.

I already conceded that it is unlikely for the wings to go the distance, but when you get, what 9 penalties in a game, you're screwed.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Mon May 03, 2010 4:47 pm

OK, if you want to discount the 3 Bertuzzi penalties (and I haven't re-watched them), then you absolutely need to discount that boarding call on Marleau where he barely even grazed the guy, and the Heatley penalty where he was knocked into Howard, yet got called for goalie interference, as those were as idiotic or worse. So, even then, you're talking a 7-2 margin, with about the same amount of non-calls. (Like when Stuart tackled Pavelski in the crease yet didn't get called).

Yeah, the reffing sucked, and they were completely inconsistent, calling things one minute, letting worse go the next. Trying to claim that that's the sole or even main reason you lost is silly, though. Here, here's a Detroit newspaper columnist who even agrees: http://detnews.com/article/20100503/OPI ... 1128/rss16

Oh, and Tuggan, yeah, Lidstrom snapping his stick was lucky, sure. But how many other lucky chances (intercepted passes, etc) had both teams failed to capitalize on during the game? The point is, THIS time, the Sharks DID capitalize, and actually took advantage of the chance given them. Hell, even with the break, if Howard had been able to gobble up the puck instead of rebounding it straight into the crease, there wouldn't have been a goal.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tuggan » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

i'll give the sharks credit, it sounded like they really brought it in the 3rd. was workin so i couldn't watch the game. they will finally win the cup this year if they can keep getting production out of thornton and marleau.

if they sweep detroit, i'm totally pissing in the food when we cater their jet thursday night :angel:
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Tue May 04, 2010 10:20 pm

The Wings can't even complain about the refs being one-sided this game, not after that utter BS penalty shot they gave Detroit.

Basically, the Wings were the better team in Periods 1 and 2, no question. They relaxed at a bad time at the end of the first, and let the uber-hot Pavelski line keep the puck in at the end, and Setoguchi scored with 1.8 seconds left in the period.

The Sharks were by far the better team in the 3rd, also no question. Looked like the wings tried to do the Hockey version of a football Prevent Defense, and just like in football, that just results in Epic Fail.

Pavelski didn't get any goals this game, but continued his point streak, as he got at least 1 assist. Oh, and hey, the first line definitely showed signs of life. Thornton got a 3rd period goal, and Marleau gets the OT game winner.

By no means am I calling this series over yet, though. I have WAY too much fear of the Wings and way too many bad memories of playoffs past to be confident of anything until 10 minutes AFTER the handshake line.

You know, that own goal from Boyle may have turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to this team? The Sharks could have gone two ways after that: Give up, fold and implode, like some previous years, and no one would have been really surprised. Instead, though, they turned it into a giant FU to the rest of the world, and have been inspired by it. They're 6-0 since that game, and are looking better as a playoff team than I can really ever remember. Sure, there's still things to worry about, like the 1st line only being marginally awake, and perpetual fears about Nabby having a game like he did in the Russia vs Canada game, but.....

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby ClakarEQ » Wed May 05, 2010 7:29 am

I agree the sharks out played the wings and the pen. shot was BS /agree with you there too.

I don't think the sharks played any better from the first to the third, IMO the wings do what they typically do, start off strong and weaken as the periods go on.

I'll also say it was nice to see a lot more skill re: scores from both teams, I think the sharks are just a better consistent team through this series. The wings seemed to lax back, especially in the third and just before the 1st ended.

They did a 1 period break interview with Holdstrom(sp) and even he said, we're "playing around" too much and need to get the puck past the blue line. The deal is they (wings) want to control the puck so badly they end up keeping it in the zone and then turning it over. Personally I'd rather risk icing the puck 100 times a game then try to keep puck control in your own zone against a team like the sharks.

As for the refing, it was much better but there were still some "WTF" type calls LOL.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Wed May 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Uh
hand on puck in crease is auto penalty shot

always has been

I thought mist of you fair weather hockey fans would know that one by now
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Thu May 06, 2010 12:47 am

Tikker wrote:fair weather hockey fans

:owned:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 am

Except he didn't cover it with his hand. He PUSHED it with the side of his hand, which IS legal.

Hell, even the Red Wings blogs/websites are in agreement that it was an awful call. http://www.detroithockey.net/pressbox/n ... _notes.php

Here, look at the play for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZH1YV7NkE

Wait for the overhead view, and watch from about 37 seconds in on. If you freeze it at 39 seconds, you can clearly see the puck to the right of his hand as he shoves it back under Nabby's pad.

Here's the rule from http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26478 :
67.4 Penalty Shot - If a player, except a goalkeeper, while play is in progress, falls on the puck, holds the puck, picks up the puck, or gathers the puck into his body or hands from the ice in the goal crease area, the play shall be stopped immediately and a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending team.

Couture did none of the above. He didn't hold it, he didn't pick it up, and it didn't gather it into his body or close his hand on it. He pushed it under the goalie's pad with the side of his hand. 100% legal. The call was complete and total BS.

You might want to know the actual details before you slam people for not knowing the rule, when you are the oen who has no clue... ;)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu May 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Hand on puck in crease is auto penalty shot

that's the way it's ALWAYS called

just like in NBA you only get a couple strides without dribble is always technically travel yet never called despite rules?

The way it's written is less I portant than the way it's always called

Hand on puck in crease is a penalty shot. Doesn't matter if he closed his hand or not
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Fri May 07, 2010 3:18 am

Except it's not "hand on puck". He never once puts his hand on the puck in any way, shape or form. He does indeed TOUCH the puck, but it is always clearly visible as he shoves it with the side of his hand.

Anyway, if even the red-wings specific blogs are saying the call was BS, perhaps they may have a point, yes?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri May 07, 2010 8:18 am

Nope

side of the hand

back of the hand

any part of your glove onthe puck in the crease is always a penalty shot

It's taught that way at ref school. They do not want you to have to make a judgement call on if you closed the hand on the puck or open palmed it. Simple as that

glove on puck in crease is penalty shot

not my opinion, it's the way it's called

simple rule

you'd know this if you actually knew anything about hockey

ps citing other clueless people as proof isn't really helping you out
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure