college conference realignment

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

college conference realignment

Postby Phlegm » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:52 pm

What do you guys think of the realignments? especially those in big 12 country?
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: college conference realignment

Postby 10sun » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:28 pm

I <3 USC being fucked post-season.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:11 pm

hah yeah fuck USC, and fuck all those smug pricks who hopped on the big-fish-in-a-little-pond bandwagon (no offense to you or UO, drem, i always root for the ducks)

other thoughts:

being from Corn Country i am a bit miffed that the Big 12 couldn't right the ship, though from what i understand it's mostly UT's fault for being giant bitches about literally everything. NU moving to Big 10 may be a smart move from the standpoint of parity and self-interest, and it may create some pretty compelling matchups (huskers vs wolverines EVERY YEAR? umm yes plz!), but it takes a big steaming shit all over any remaining shreds of tradition we may have clung to re: our century-long conference homies in the states of oklahoma and kansas.

furthermore, as a relatively serious Texas Tech fan i am jazzed at the idea of most of the Big 12 South going to the Pac 10, because in all honesty i think Pac 16 East is going to shred the shit out of Pac 16 West. anyway, some thoughts...

who will come out on top:
  • NU going to the Big 10. it's a better conference in terms of parity and organization, there's tons of star power in its marquee teams (Michigan, Penn St, Ohio St come to mind), and a "border war" series with Iowa seems tailor-made.
  • though Colorado has already committed to the Pac 10, it's also projected that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State will be heading west to join the new Pac 16 as well. Colorado may be a cellar-dweller, but like i said, those other five teams are going to cause big problems for the rest of the Pac 10.
  • the Big 10 conference itself. they are getting a school which has an incredibly rich history and whose fans travel extremely well.

who gets the shaft:
  • Baylor. long considered the perennial whipping-boy of the Big 12 South, Baylor was finally starting to show signs of life-- and now this. the Pac 10 doesn't want them, the Big 10 isn't interested, and the evaporation of the Big 12 will leave them scrambling for membership in Mountain West, C-USA, or even WAC. any shot they might've had at credibility just went up in smoke.
  • Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State-- orphans, all. personally i don't give a shit about Mizzou (assholes), but KU, KSU, and ISU don't deserve this fate. like Baylor, all four of these teams will be left twisting in the wind instead of trying to push their programs into relevance.
  • the NCAA sports culture present in the states involved. a source of regional solidarity (and, at times, fierce rivalry) will be carved up and outsourced. no longer will NU and KU enjoy a gentleman's agreement where we trounce them on the gridiron and they embarrass us on the court. gone are the days of the NU-OU rivalry (though some would argue that died with the Big 8 conference). no more rooting for other Big 12 teams because "hey at least they're not those pieces of shit from the SEC." sad ;\
  • Arizona and Arizona State. when the Pac 10 absorbs most of the Big 12 South, these two schools will most likely be stuck in a division cagematch with five hungry Big 12 powerhouses (and Colorado, lol). they fucked.

of course, aside from CU moving, at this point the rest is just conjecture. i've also read breaking stories that claim Texas and Texas A&M are trying to follow NU to the Big 10, and that Oklahoma is knocking on the SEC's door :eyecrazy:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State-- orphans, all. personally i don't give a shit about Mizzou (assholes), but KU, KSU, and ISU don't deserve this fate. like Baylor, all four of these teams will be left twisting in the wind instead of trying to push their programs into relevance.

Actually, I see that as a good thing. Not that my opinion has anything to do with football, you understand. It is just that my hate for Kansas and all things contained therein burns with the heat of a thousand suns. I have long advocated walling the place in (without letting the people out) and then nuking it into radioactive glass. It would improve it immeasurably. Not to mention the benefit for the rest of the country, now free of having to deal with fucking Kansas in our midst, like a great festering bloated pus-filled running abscess in the nation's gut. (disclaimer: I lived in Wichita for 2.5 years as a kid. I come by my hate honestly, from experiencing the place) So, anything that causes pain and anguish to universities from Kansas and anyone who follows them is, as I said, a GOOD thing....

In any case, I have resolved to not truly give a crap about college football until they institute some kind of rational playoff system, instead of the current BCS astrology chart readings and tea-leaf reading method they use to pick championship teams. It's like voting for prom king/queen writ large. Utterly ridiculous.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:41 pm

wichita is the herpetic crotch of the midwest
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby leah » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:38 am

brinstar wrote:wichita is the herpetic crotch of the midwest

LOL good grief!

my thoughts are thus:

1) i feel sad for KU and TTU and the big 12 solidarity.

2) all that said, i really hope the schools hurry up and get this all figured the hell out quickly because i am SO SICK of hearing about nothing but football at work, from friends, from relative strangers....... gah. but i guess that's the price we pay for living in nebraska.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Phlegm » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:55 am

I think the Texas schools (ut, am, tech, and baylor) would be better serve if they go to the SEC.

ku, ksu, missouri, and isu to the mountain west.

Utah goes to the pac 10 to give colorado some what of a territorial rival.

ok and osu to the big 10.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:04 am

wichita is the herpetic crotch of the midwest

I think you're being overly insulting here to herpetic crotches, by equating them to Wichita. They're not THAT bad.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:03 pm

I don't really understand what's *wrong* with the big 12 that the teams want to leave in the first place.

I know it's all about money and national exposure but dang, the big 12 had what, 5 of the top 6 picks in this year's NFL draft? It's certainly not a whipping boy conference that the good teams want out of.

Either way, I'm hoping A&M goes to the SEC and TU goes to the pac10. A&M (even though they beat TU a few times lately) really needs to get out from under TU's shadow and could recruit a hell of a lot better telling a kid they get to play vs SEC talent than Pac-10 talent.

And oh yeah, I'm on board with the F-USC talk. I'm so glad Kiffin is getting nailed after what he pulled on Tennessee. Watch Carrol (who saw this coming for sure) come back in 2 years to save the day.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Phlegm » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:59 pm

juniors and seniors can leave USC without sitting out a year and other schools can try to recruit them. Let see how many of them stay. USC can go 0-12 next year!
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:09 pm

what we know so far:

Colorado went to Pac 10.

Boise State went to Mountain West.

Nebraska went to Big 10.

assuming the Pac 10 adds OU, OSU, UT, A&M, and TTU, here's what i'd like to see:

1. the already ill-named Big 10, with NU making its 12th member, should go pick up BallSt/Rutgers/Pitt (choose one) and Notre Dame and call itself the Big 14.

2. Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Baylor get rolled into the Mountain West. when you have a conference with tough teams like Utah and TCU, adding Boise State and those former Big 12 teams would give the Mountain West enough legitimacy to finally make a play for BCS Conference status, as well as enough leverage to claim the former Big 12's soon-to-be-vacant Fiesta Bowl tie-in. edit: to make an even number, Nevada joins the party.

so here's what that means:

Pac 16
West Division: Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, UCLA, USC, Stanford
East Division: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
regular season schedule: all 7 of your divisional opponents, 2 (rotating) opponents from the opposing division, and 3 out-of-conference opponents. East v West championship, Rose Bowl tie-in.

Big 14
West Division: Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern
East Division : Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Indiana, BallSt/Pitt/Rutgers
regular season schedule: all 6 of your divisional opponents, 3 (rotating) opponents from the opposing division, and 3 out-of-conference opponents. East v West championship, Rose Bowl tie-in.

Mountain West
North Division: Boise State, Utah, BYU, Wyoming, Colorado State, Iowa State, Missouri, Nevada
South Division: UNLV, San Diego State, New Mexico, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, Air Force, Baylor
regular season schedule: same as Pac 16, with North v South championship and Fiesta Bowl tie-in.

that's just my guess, really :mystery:

Reynaldo wrote:I don't really understand what's *wrong* with the big 12 that the teams want to leave in the first place.

I know it's all about money and national exposure but dang, the big 12 had what, 5 of the top 6 picks in this year's NFL draft? It's certainly not a whipping boy conference that the good teams want out of.

Either way, I'm hoping A&M goes to the SEC and TU goes to the pac10. A&M (even though they beat TU a few times lately) really needs to get out from under TU's shadow and could recruit a hell of a lot better telling a kid they get to play vs SEC talent than Pac-10 talent.

And oh yeah, I'm on board with the F-USC talk. I'm so glad Kiffin is getting nailed after what he pulled on Tennessee. Watch Carrol (who saw this coming for sure) come back in 2 years to save the day.

part of the problem Rey is that Texas made the Big 12 its bitch. their fight for lucrative (and quite uneven) revenue sharing formulas, their greedy prevention of a cable network, and the way they strongarmed the championship game into the Jerrydome (instead of leaving it at Arrowhead) all went a long way to erode the conference's stability. plus, while no one ever tacked whipping-boy status on the conference, part of the reason for this current money grab is that outside of the Big 12 region there's not a lot of give-a-fuck. major sports news outlets rarely pretend to care about any non-USC team west of the mississippi, so to me this is just a case of the teams with clout making a play for big media money and leaving the have-nots (and unfortunately, over a century of traditional rivalries) behind in the dust.

PS did you watch Carroll's youtube video? what a bitch way to address the issue IMHO. lmao, the whole thing was about as convincing as McGwire telling the sports world that steroids didn't grant him any unfair advantages
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Phlegm » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:14 pm

A&M wants to be in the SEC. If they get their wish, then I think the PAC-10+ will invite Utah.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Phlegm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:11 pm

It looks like the remaining 10 schools in the Big 12 decided to stay and keep the conference together.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:12 pm

much ado abouth nothing.

I bet mack brown was involved somehow getting the spotlight on the big 12 for really no reason
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:48 pm

UT got what they wanted: Big 12 let them have rights to their own cable network in exchange for sticking around

greedy motherfuckers
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 pm

personally i don't mind who joins our division. it just gives us more ass to kick

the ducks vs. who cares

sup bitches
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Drem wrote:personally i don't mind who joins our division. it just gives us more ass to kick

the ducks vs. who cares

sup bitches

teams i will root against UO for: Boise State, Texas Tech, Nebraska

other than that, a) GO DUCKS and b) don't get cocky dude
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:42 pm

i dunno i just look at the way other teams are playing and they're all a lot slower than we are. i just don't think anyone can really compete. and so far no one has

we're just too flexible and quick for everyone else. we're snapping the ball before their D is even set sometimes

i've been excited about the ducks since dennis dixon and it's just been getting so much better since chip kelly took over
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:36 am

yeah i get all that, but you're also playing in the pac10. if UO was kicking that much ass in the SEC or big10 or big12 i wouldn't be arguing - beating teams like washington and arizona and cal is one thing, but if UO wins out they're going to face okie state or auburn or wisconsin or even TCU/boise and all those teams are crazy good too

in other words yeah i'm a duck fan and they've got a great shot at taking the trophy but don't go printing any championship t-shirts juuuust yet
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:51 am

i'm not. today's game was sorty wishy-washy. huge win in the end but it could still be a set-up for a loss if they don't play closer to perfect in these last three games

i'm not stupid enough to think we'd win the national championship, but anything less than playing in that game will be a huge disappointment for us
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:28 pm

uugggghhhh i hate auburn, i hope bama rolls them up and smokes them like bitcharettes next week
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:39 pm

agree! tcu should also lose more
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:44 pm

TCU just slipped to 4

if bama can smoke auburn next week and boise scores style points at nevada, we should be looking at a UO-BSU title game :hiphop:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Yep. Really no teams left that can leapfrog Boise if they win out and Auburn loses to Bama. Fresno is actually a quality opponent for them as well.

LSU obviously can't lose their own conference and play for the championship. Only team that is up there is Wisconsin but the teams left on their schedule aren't any tougher than Fresno/Nevada.

Things are definitely looking good for Boise and a future college football playoff if Boise gets in.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to Sports and LEEZure