Congrats Vonkaar!

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Congrats Vonkaar!

Postby Zanchief » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Great finals and a great game.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Re: Congrats Vonkaar!

Postby Arlos » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:00 pm

How drunk is Vonk tonight? On a scale of 1-10, I'm guessing he's at about a 12. ;)

Heretical as it is for a SF area resident, I was actually rooting for Dallas in this series, largely cause I wanted to see Kidd get a championship finally. He deserves it.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks =). I'm obviously pretty freaking excited. I've waited 22 years for this and it's all pretty surreal to me right now.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Jay » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:41 am

I asked LeBron James to borrow a dollar and he gave me 75 cents. When I asked where the rest of it was he said, "I ain't got no 4th quarter bro."
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:15 am

I've always rooted for the Mavs. I love Dirk and like Cuban. This is probably the most I've rooted for a winning team in a really long time (possibly ever).
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:58 am

Yeah I know, we've always been a little gay for each other's teams. Holy fucking shit the partying is still going on. I was pretty fucking annoyed with the Ranger's bandwagon last year but it's different this time. Maybe it's because I've been such a die-hard fan for most of my life (22 of 32 years on this planet), but whatever the reason, I didn't mind all the fair-weather fans jumping aboard when we swept the Lakers. Our stadium got loud as fuck when we came back from LA up 2-0. It certainly wasn't that loud in the PDX series. Anyway, the Mavs fans certainly came out of the woodwork. It felt like the mid nineties with the Cowboys winning in 92 after the Long Droubt©. For any that know Dallas, I had friends partying in - Lower Greenville, North Dallas, Addison, Deep Ellum, Lewisville, Denton, Plano, the Fort Worth Stockyards, Sundance Square, Arlington and right there downtown at victory park. Not one location was cleared out by 4AM. Some parties are still going strong. It's madness!
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 am

I think I'm just happy that a team that was built the right way won. At the beginning of the year I said I'd root for any team that hasn't won a championship yet, since I think parity right now is one of the biggest problems in basketball, and thankfully that ended up happening. Aside from Dirk, I think I'm happiest for Rick Carlisle. Here's a guy that has done an awesome job coaching everywhere he goes and he keeps getting fired. He's been one of the best coaches in the league for the last decade and has gotten first how many times? Good for him. I hope he stays with the Mavs for a while and keeps winning.

I'll be looking forward to the team next year. Imagine that same roster with Caron and Beaubois? Caron is exactly the type of player I think complements them in ways they are sometimes deficient. One issue will be Chandler’s next contract. That guy played himself towards a big contract. Does Cuban want to give out the big bucks when he has another (worse) starting center on the roster?

They probably have to find a replacement for KIdd sooner rather then later. Here's a crazy trade idea. Make a move with PHX for Nash and Beaubois. Might take a bit more but Nash prob has a few more years then Kidd.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:19 am

As the minutes started counting down I was like "man, I bet Vonk is delirious right now"

I don't follow the Mavs, but it's hard not to love Dirk. Really for me I'm not sure what makes me happier--seeing Dirk finally get his ring or seeing LeBron phone it in when it counts and lose his chance yet again. I bet Cleveland was partying just as hard as Dallas =p
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Drem » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:20 pm

Jay wrote:I asked LeBron James to borrow a dollar and he gave me 75 cents. When I asked where the rest of it was he said, "I ain't got no 4th quarter bro."

lol
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:11 am

Half of our roster is unrestricted free agents this summer... it's totally disconcerting to say the least. Tyson Chandler, JJ Barea, Deshawn Stevenson, Brian Cardinal and Peja Stojakovic. Every single one of these guys played a role on this playoff run, so it'd suck to lose any of them. Brian Cardinal used to be a "vets minimum" type player but after the finals, he's likely going to command a little more cash than that. And then there's Caron Butler, also an unrestricted FA. He was our 2nd best player before he went down... so there's obviously a lot of work that needs to get done.

But none of that matters because the CBA is expiring in a few days and the NBA CBA is like, 500x more fucked up than the NFL's. I'm really scared that there might be NO basketball in 2011/2012... and when you look at the age of our roster, some of those guys might as well just retire. Kidd, for one, is an obvious choice. Go out on top.

bleh... it's a mess... I'd hope to resign all of our pieces and look for long-term replacements at our guards. But, realistically, outside of Dirk (because he is immune to age) and maybe Roddy (because he's a baby), our whole roster is aging and a year off would really hurt us. So, I try not to think about it. Just enjoying the moment.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:06 am

To me Barea, Stevenson, Stojakovic and Cardinal, as useful as they were to you, are (somewhat) easily replaceable. Chandler and Butler not so much. I feel like Terry's game isn't going to decline that quickly. He'll continue doing what he's doing for a while. You just need to keep Dirk, Terry, Chandler and Butler and Marion together. Find the fountain of youth for Kidd and your set.

Marion really surprised me though. I saw a lot of him last year, and I really felt he lost a step, but he really help you guys.

I don't think the NBA wants to turn the high of this NBA Playoffs into a lockout. Both sides are still posturing a lot. Something will get done at the last minute.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:54 pm

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:21 pm

The world has changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the great rings. Three were given to the elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. Nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of men, who above all else desired power. And none were given to Lebron James.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:36 pm

It would have been too funny if some media outlet could sneak some nerd in full LARP gear into the game 6 post game presser to say this to LeBron.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:44 am

Y'all are stealing Dwayne Casey... he's one giant reason why we won it all this year. Seriously, the dude is amazing. For any that follow the NFL, think Sean Payton on Bill Parcell's staff.

Now the latest rumor is Steve Nash to Minnesota for their #2 pick. That would suck... Nash deserves better than to finish his career in NBA Siberia.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Arlos » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Indeed, Nash really deserves to go to a contending team. Hell, send him to the Lakers to feed Kobe or something.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 pm

I don't get why Minny does this. It makes sense from PHO, they need to get younger. I still can't believe they haven't blown that thing up yet.

Nash has about 3 or 4 years left in him. Minny isn't going to be close in that time.

Happy with Dwanye Casey. He's got a lot of work to do though. He keeps talking about defense which is funny, cause our team was a really awful defensive team last year. I don't know how he's going to motivate these guys.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:25 pm

My buddy and I were recently chatting about the ridiculous impact that the Juwan Howard trade to Denver had on our team, especially now that we are able to look back from such a lofty position. I thought that I would try and fit everything onto a single flowchart to illustrate most of the important pieces (leaving out incidentals like Evan Eschmeyer, Obinna Ekezie or the Alan Henderson boomerang). And, yes, I realize that Avery Johnson "for" Rick Carlisle is a major stretch, but... really, who knows what would have happened?

Juwan Howard.JPG
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:34 pm

The person you should really be thanking is MJ. He rescinded a deal that was agreed upon by everyone that would have sent Tyson Chandler and Diaw for Calderon.

Also we gave you Peja out of courtesy (even though he didn't help that much). I feel TOR played a not so small part in the Dallas win.

Not following the Stack bit with TOR. I guess you could get Marion because of the money saved from Stacks expiring?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:36 am

That was a 4-team trade that allowed you guys to get your beloved Hedo Turkoglu. We gave up Antoine Wright, Devean George and Jerry Stackhouse and got back Shawn Marion, Greg Buckner and the Future Mr Kim Kardashian. Orlando and Memphis were involved but I forget the details. So it wasn't a straight-shot... I probably should have made it a dotted line... oh well. None of these were really one-for-one deals. But who cares that we 'also' got Evan Eschamayer and Dan Dickau with Erick Dampier or Tariq Abdul-Wahad with the initial Denver trade? Well, that last one really hurt us for years because the dickhead refused to take a medical retirement (and get every penny of his contract) vs sitting on our payroll for 5 years. But... whatever.

And Peja was critical in the LA series. He came up big, time and time again. Literally every single (suited) player on our team played a role in our championship run. Corey Brewer, Ian Mahimi, Brian Cardinal and Peja all had moments during this post-season where they shined. Team effort!

:balloons:
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 am

I remember the trade, I just don't remember Stackhouse being part of it. I guess at no point did we consider him coming here. I remember the others. Knock Turk all you want but BC traded him for Barbosa. Blame PHO for that one head scratcher. Hedo was in my opinion the worse contract in the league, maybe only Rashard Lewis was worse, and he was traded for a servicable SG on a 2 year deal. BC may be mad with his cheque book, but he knows how to bury his mistakes.

It's weird how many trades TOR and DAL has made over the years and none of them were of major consequence. Oh well.

Oh a side not, I always liked Hump. It seemed Dallas never gave him a chance. He's doing well in NJ though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Return to Sports and LEEZure