Where will Peyton Manning play in 2012-2013?

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Where will Peyton Manning play in 2012-2013?

Postby Arlos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Well, it looks like his career isn't over, as there was just a medical report that the surgery had been successful, the fused area was now set and stable, and he can resume more strenuous workouts, though no contact yet. So, all good signs he'll play SOMEWHERE next year.

The issue there is, the Colts owe him a HUGE bonus at the start of the year, and before they could trade him. Given that they're basically now a lock to be able to draft Luck, do they really want to drop 30+ million on a late-30s QB who could be one hit away from retirement or worse? Yeah, the ideal thing from the football perspective would be to keep Manning, have Luck sit for 1-2 years and learn, like Rodgers did behind Favre, and then ease Manning out. But doing that will cost about 40 million, and Indy isn't a huge market team.

So, do you think he plays in Indy next year?

If not, where does he go?

SF in a reverse-Montana? (where he helps get Koepernick up to speed as well)
Another team that is good in general, but needs a QB to put them over the top?
Will he retire and never play again?

Curious as to people's thoughts.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Where will Peyton Manning play in 2012-2013?

Postby Tikker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Rodgers learned from Favre? Favre basically snubbed him the whole time same way Montana snubbed Young.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Griever » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:38 pm

He starts for Indy next year. Luck does not play his first season.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Kaemon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:28 am

Jay wrote:Rodgers learned from Favre? Favre basically snubbed him the whole time same way Montana snubbed Young.

Actually Rodgers did learn from Favre, he learned what not to do...
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Lyion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:14 am

I bet Manning ends up retiring after next year. The guy has to have a lot of coin in the bank, and why risk your health?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 am

For the love of the sport? Personally, I dislike Peyton Manning for a number of reasons but I will say that he's passionate about the game even to a fault. Guys like that will keep playing as long as they think they can be up there with the best of the best.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:34 pm

I'd trade a couple 1sts to get him on the Chiefs. When healthy, our offensive weapons rival any in the league besides maybe the Packers. We just have no QB to get them the ball or get them put in position for success.

Would trade the entire draft this year for Manning (or to move up to take RG3) and a right tackle.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tossica » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 am

Maybe Minnesota will get him. Seems like the place to go for old quarterbacks.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:44 am

There are all kinds of rumors going on about Manning today. I think the biggest question will be not where he'll play, but can he play. If I had a zillion dollars like he does and my next was fubar, I'd hang it up.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 am

Lyion wrote:There are all kinds of rumors going on about Manning today. I think the biggest question will be not where he'll play, but can he play. If I had a zillion dollars like he does and my next was fubar, I'd hang it up.

Here's the thing about money, there's always more of it.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Griever » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:47 am

Maybe he just loves the game is a true competitor and doesn't want to go out like that. If he is given the green light by doctors I guarantee he starts for another team next year. If I had to guess where, I'd say Miami.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Arlos » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Well, well well. 49ers are apparently one of the three finalists to land Manning.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76969 ... ources-say

and if I may quote:

Even before he worked out for the Denver Broncos on Friday, Peyton Manning threw passes for the San Francisco 49ers and underwent a physical exam earlier this week, according to league sources.

The Arizona Cardinals were informed they would be wise to proceed without Manning as a candidate to join the team and will now retain quarterback Kevin Kolb, paying him a $7 million roster bonus due after a Friday deadline of 4 p.m. ET.

That leaves three teams as finalists to sign Manning, including the Tennessee Titans.

Talks with the Miami Dolphins were described as "positive," but he informed them midweek they were not going to be among his finalists, sources said.

Now San Francisco is the sleeper team few were expecting.

I know it's unlikely we land him, but wouldn't Manning on that 49ers team vault them into the ranks of top-SB contenders? They were a couple muffed punt returns away from the SB this year, and they are returning their entire D, and almost all of the offense. Manning to Vernon Davis certainly wouldn't be the same as Montana/Young to Rice, but it'd be the closest thing we've had since.

Mustn't let myself get too hopeful, though. Still a longshot we land him. Of course, if his aim really IS to get another ring or 3, isn't SF by far and away his best choice among the 3 finalist teams?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Small additional note:

Of his 3 finalist locations, I expect him to end up in Tennessee. It's where he played college ball, so he's already got a big fan base there.

I don't know that SF will shell out the $$ necessary to pick him up, especially given Harbaugh's bromance with Alex Smith. Though, I must admit the idea of SF getting Manning and then making a front-loaded contract offer to Williams of the Steelers that they can't match makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. Think about what that 49ers offense would be: One of the best deep-threat WRs in the league in Williams, with Moss and Crabtree as secondary/possession receivers. Add in Vernon Davis and the under-rated Delani Walker as TEs, and our generally pretty good OL (though we need a new OG), with Gore running the ball and Manning passing? That's a top-5 O in the league, easy. Combine that with our D which is bringing every single starter back? Instant superbowl favorite for sure. Too bad it'll almost certainly never happen, even though we would be his best spot if he really just wants to win rings.

As for Denver... Well, he's always been a good-weather and dome QB. You really think he wants to suddenly, in his mid-late 30s, swap to playing all his games outdoors. In Denver, with THEIR winter weather? Sure, it's not Buffalo or Green Bay, but still, Mile High is, well, a mile high and gets fucking cold and snowy. No, I don't think Denver is gonna be his pick, unless their contract offer is monumentally better than everyone else's. (which I doubt)

So, yeah. All gushing fantasies about Manning to the 49ers aside, I am guessing that Manning will be a flaming thumbtack next year.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Oops, I meant Wallace, obviously. rofl.

Yeah, my bad.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Well, we did go get another WR to entice Manning with: Mario Manningham from the Giants.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77044 ... -year-deal

Interesting choice. Not as good as Williams, er, Wallace (rofl), certainly, but he doesn't cost them a 1st rounder, either. Certainly not a bad WR in the least either. Now, if we can just get Manning and draft a really good OG, I think we have the makings of a top-5 O, to go with our top 1-2 D that brought every single starter back.

In potentially negative news, Alex Smith just interviewed with the Dolphins, and will be interviewing with the Seachickens. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77048 ... i-dolphins

So, now there's a potential worst-case for the 49ers, if Manning signs elsewhere, and so does Smith, leaving the 49ers with only 2nd year QB Kaepernick on the roster. Not sure what we do then, except maybe go after Matt Flynn, the guy Miami was originally chasing after Manning told them to pound sand.

-Arlos

Update: Seattle signed Flynn. So, if Manning goes to Denver, and Miami signs Smith, the 49ers are kinda screwed. If Manning goes to Tennessee, presumably they release Hasselbeck, who at least would be an upgrade over Kaepernick for now, even if Miami signs Smith.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:10 am

Manning -> Moss has power potential all over it.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Griever » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:04 am

Arlos, look on the bright side, if you don't get Manning you could always sign Garrard or Vince Young...

I honestly believe it's between Denver and San Fran. Tennessee doesn't have as good of a defense as those two teams I believe Manning craves to finally play on a team with a good defense. It is also reported that he has a strong desire to stay in the AFC which I believe might be the tie-breaker for him choosing Denver. It also seems he has a good relationship with Elway.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:52 am

Harbaugh is a much, much better coach than John Fox. Also, San Fran is much closer to the Super Bowl than Denver. New England exposed Denver, twice last year. I think the 9ers would have crushed N.E. in the Super Bowl. They really should have beat New York. Then again, Baltimore should have beat New England, too...

I really thought Peyton would sign with Arizona. They have a good D, Fitzgerald, and a good base.

I think the only way he signs with Tennessee is if Bud Adams makes him the QB/General Manager. Which it actually sounds like the crazy old coot might do that.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Griever » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:06 am

He's going to the Broncos.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... itter_news

It's a lock they trade Tebow to Miami.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:04 am

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Griever » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Lyion wrote:Harbaugh is a much, much better coach than John Fox.

This really can't be proven until you see a much bigger sampling size from Jim Harbaugh. I'm not a huge fan of John Fox but he did take the Panthers to their only Super Bowl appearance. He's not a bad coach.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm basing my opinion on his record as a coach in Stanford.

I'm amazed Manning is considering Denver with their pedestrian WRs and very suspect D. Then again, maybe he doesn't want to pay such a huge chunk in taxes in Cali.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Local papers are guessing it has a lot to do with him not wanting to be in the NFC. (NFC is generally much stronger than the AFC right now, and in the NFC he might have to face his brother in the playoffs short of the Super Bowl.)

They're also speculating that he might not have wanted to deal with the "SB or it's a failure" pressure here in SF. Since we got SO close last year, if we added Manning, any result OTHER than a SB trip would be a failure. Denver, he's got less pressure.

Anyway, I figure the 49ers will now up their offer to Alex Smith, at the very least give him some more guaranteed money, and sign him ASAP.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Sports and LEEZure