NHL Offseason

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

NHL Offseason

Postby Arlos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:37 am

I must admit, it's been pretty quiet thus far. Staal was the biggest trade, and only 2 really big-name UFAs have signed. (Unless you count Carle, I guess)

Was anyone else as completely shocked as I was that the Wild landed BOTH Parise and Suter? I thought sure Suter would be ending up in Detroit to replace Lidstrom. Now the question is, what will Shea Weber want to do? Does he really want to sign long-term to Nashville now that Suter's gone? He's a RFA, so can negotiate with anyone, and he could easily force his way onto whatever team he wants if he wants to leave. (Just threaten to sign the 1-year tender, and walk with no compensation next off-season if the Preds don't agree to trade his RFA rights to where he wants to go.)

I was getting VERY frustrated by the Sharks not making any major moves, I must admit. (though I did like them bringing Brad Stuart back) However, the fact that they just signed Larry Robinson to run their D and PK has me feeling MUCH more upbeat about the whole offseason. I may be completely crazy about this, but I actually hope the Sharks deviate from their normal methodology, and go sign Semin. Enigmatic he may be, but he is certainly a sniper, and I think there could be some serious potential to pairing him with Joe Thornton. I would MUCH rather they do that than go trade away half the team for Rick Nash and his 7.8mil contract. Alternately, if Phoenix continues to flail around with no owner, I wouldn't mind the Sharks signing Doan.

So, you guys' thoughts?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: NHL Offseason

Postby Tikker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:17 am

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:09 am

Some of that rep for the Sharks is unfair, especially for Joe Thornton. Maybe he did early in his career, but the last 3-4 years, he has consistently been one of, if not THE best forward on the team, busting his ass at both ends of the ice. So, he at least should be free of that label at this point. Marleau, on the other hand, does indeed disappear at times, which is maddening, given that in other series, he's been utterly dominant. So yeah, grabbing Semin would be a risk, but someone that skilled with the puck, and that good a shot, paired with Joe? Obviously, Parise would have been a much better choice for the job, but our chances of getting him were basically zero. I guess I wouldn't mind Nash there, but NOT at anything close to what Howson is demanding, and that contract is especially hard to swallow. I actually would like to get Ryan out of Anaheim instead of Nash, but no way in hell does Ryan get traded within the division. If all else fails, I can certainly see us signing Doan, since he'd get to stay close to his family in Phoenix. While he certainly isn't anywhere near Semin/Parise/Nash in skill level, at the very least no one will EVER accuse him of disappearing in crunch time. As for Semin, I honestly expect him to either sign with Pittsburgh to play with Malkin, or maybe go to the KHL.

Sharks aside, what do you think WILL happen with Shea Weber? Think he'll re-sign long-term in Nashville, or will he force his way out? If so, where? How about Nash, ultimately? (I kinda think the NYR will get him in the end, myself.) Think Luongo will end up back in Florida, since they sure as hell don't want him there in Vancouver any more? How about Ryan? Where does HE go?

Lastly, I think the Oilers are finally going to be at least decent this year, now that they have what, 4 #1 overall picks on their team? They still need more D though, so I don't think they get far in the West playoffs, but I think they'll make it. Calgary, on the other hand, ugh, they just keep making weird moves. They just need to blow it up and rebuild.

Your thoughts on any/all of the above?
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Apparently there were like 3 teams (including the Sharks) trying to trade for Weber's RFA rights, before Philly got tired of waiting for that to happen and so signed him to that offer sheet. Not surprised Nashville matched, though. Highly unlikely that any of the 4 1st rounders they'd have gotten would have gotten them 1 player as good as Weber, for sure.

Semin's reputation must be complete shit, for him to only have gotten a 1 year deal. 7mil is good $$$, but still...

CBJ got raped in the Nash trade. They didn't get ANY of the Rangers' best prospects/young guys. Can't believe that was the best he could have done in that trade.

As for Doan, the numbers being thrown around for him are insane. Yeah, I'd love him, but giving a 36 year old a 4year-30mil contract, as has been rumored he's been offered? (by Buffalo, apparently) That's completely insane.

As for the Sharks in specific, I was VERY happy about Vlasic's extension. He's one of the best defensive D-men in the league. His offensive side is minimal, but defensively, he is insanely good. The sharks still need to do something, though. They have some mismatches in skill sets in the top 6, badly need a 3rd/2nd line tweener type, and still have a speed problem outside of Marleau/Havlat. (and depending on Havlat to stay healthy is a very thin hope indeed) Given the lack of anything available though, I think that the Sharks will enter the season as-is for now. Well, that's assuming we *HAVE* a season this year, of course.

Odds on THAT, I don't want to speculate on. Though, I was kinda encouraged by the way the player's proposal today went, on both sides. It certainly seemed far more reality-based than the owner's initial offer, and the owners didn't immediately scream as if they were being raped.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Return to Sports and LEEZure