NFL 2012

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: NFL 2012

Postby Jay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:20 am

SF sucks on the road though. I still think they'll win but before the last game, all of Kaep's picks were from road games.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:02 pm

SF may suck on the road, but I still remember them tearing up New England in Foxborough. Atlanta's D is pretty porous. Wilson likewise ran all over Atlanta, and he's not a 4.4 40 guy like Kaep.

How Baltimore does will really depend on how well Flacco and Ed Reed play. Reed was totally invisible in the Denver game. He'll need a pick against N.E.. Ray Rice will get his yards, but Baltimore needs to exploit N.E.s secondary, which is a lot better with Talib but still vulnerable.

I expect N.E. to win, but man I just hate those guys. I'd prefer to see Atlanta vs. Baltimore, but my guess is it'll be Pats vs 9ers.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm a little concerned about how much time SF will be on D which means Justin Smith will be doing work. Matt Ryan is the best on 3rd downs but he does also have a shitty post season record. Judging from last game though I'm sure he's done choking.

Atlanta's rushing will get shut down and their D does have holes so I don't think they can beat SF but if they manage to hurt Justin Smith or keep him at bay and run the ball then yeah.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Jay wrote:I'm a little concerned about how much time SF will be on D which means Justin Smith will be doing work. Matt Ryan is the best on 3rd downs but he does also have a shitty post season record. Judging from last game though I'm sure he's done choking.

Atlanta's rushing will get shut down and their D does have holes so I don't think they can beat SF but if they manage to hurt Justin Smith or keep him at bay and run the ball then yeah.

Ryan will play well. However, if Atlanta's D plays like it did in most of last weekend's game, they'll get rolled.

I dislike New England and Baltimore, but the Ravens far less than Belicheat.

A lot of interesting coaching news. Chip Kelly to Philly really surprised me. I'm curious how Mccoy will do in San Diego. I think they need a lot of help on D. Chud in Cleveland is a head scratcher. I think tbe best hire was Reid in KC.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:06 pm

SAN FRANCISCO?

CAME FROM BEHIND?

HUH-HUH HUH-HUH-HUH
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:56 pm

it's the era of SF i guess, god damn
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:10 pm

GREAT job by the D in the 2nd half. The Falcons never scored again after that final drive before halftime. Yet another game where I don't think we win if Alex Smith is still running the team.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Aaaand, the Superbowl is also the Harbowl. This should be interesting....

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 am

I actually LIKE Alex Smith. I think he's a much better QB than many teams have as their 1st string. That said, he simply isn't as mobile as Kaepernick, nor does he have the same arm strength. So, there are just some plays that Kaepernick will get positive results, where Smith would get sacked, or best case, have to throw the ball away. I mean, look at that Green Bay game: You think Smith is able to run around the end like that for a 56 yard TD, while running faster than Charles Woodson? How about that 40+ yard pass to Davis that was absolutely right on the money? While Smith is, at the moment, probably more accuracy and less prone to making bad decisions (see the pick-6 in the GB game that I doubt Smith would have thrown), I think those are areas all QBs improve in as they get more experience, and so the gap will lessen quite a bit as time goes on.

This offseason, I expect the 49ers will pay Smith's roster bonus, and trade him before the draft. I wouldn't surprised to see them get a 1st back from some team in desperate need of a QB (KC? Cleveland? Buffalo? Jacksonville? NY Jets?) in the run up to the draft. Honestly, I wouldn't be remotely averse to keeping him around, given that his cap hit is entirely reasonable, and he gives us better confidence in our backup than really any other team in the league would have. That said, I think the team owes Alex the chance to be the starter somewhere, after all he went through for this team, and the way the changeover occurred. I think the 49ers brass knows that, and that's why they will trade him, rather than keep him around for peace of mind. (I don't think they'll refuse to pay his bonus and let him walk, which was talked about at one point, since I feel they'll get good value for him on the trade market. But for his sake, if we don't trade him, I hope we DO let him go so he can pick his spot to be a starter)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 am

I will shit myself twice if they can get anything higher than a 3rd for Smith, but who knows these days...

For KC I wouldn't *mind* smith but only if he comes cheap and I'd still take a QB in the 1st or 2nd this year at the future QB which puts him right back where he was in SF.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Smith is a better pocket passer than Keap. He probably would've won that game, too. The catalyst was their D.

No Pitt or NE in the Super Bowl. Good deal. I don't really care for the Niners or Ravens, but it should be a really good game.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Rey: I think a 3rd is awful low for a QB who is still in his 20s (he'll be 29 in May) and was leading the league in completion % and passer rating when he got replaced. If Cincy could get a 1st AND a 2nd for fucking Carson Palmer, I don't think a 1st is at all out of the question for Smith, given his performance the last 2 years.

Lyion: I actually don't know if Alex wins that game. Atlanta was hyper-focused on stopping Kaepernick from running, which opened the field up for Gore to get good runs, and left Davis free to go wild. If Atlanta isn't having to respect the QB run like that (which they wouldn't with Alex back there), they can completely change their D setup, making it much harder for Gore to run or for Davis to get open.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Atlanta's achilles heel all year long has been their secondary. Kaep cannot read Ds nearly as well as Smith can. He's still a young QB.

I agree Atlanta's D was built around keeping him in the pocket, and making him beat them with his arm. However, their secondary coverage was pretty weak, as it's been all year long. He certainly did beat them, and has much more arm than Smith, but you can't argue he does not do progression reads very well. Something I'm sure Baltimore will take not of and plan for in two weeks.

Should be a fun Super Bowl.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Smith had a decent completion percentage and passer rating because he didn't throw the long ball. He played it safe. That's his limit. There's no way you he woulda come back from 17-0 with drives that require 12-15 passes while under that pressure. Does 3-13 third down conversions ring a bell? That was Smith last year at the NFC Champs game. Kaep doesn't read D as well as Smith does because he doesn't have to. Kaep's offense makes the entire field a viable for offensive positioning. On top of that, he runs a 4.4 40yd. His presence alone divides defenses. WIth Smith, he's got a decent short range scramble but you know he'll only throw short to mid range. He needs to be able to read a D to ever get a pass off since every D sorta knows where the ball is going. Also, even though the score was 28-24, let's not forget that the 9ers were actually in scoring position 2 other times. 1 where Akers botched the kick and 1 where Crabtree got stripped at the 1 yard line. The score shoulda been 38-24 but whatev =P

PS - Yes. I'm sold on Kaep. Kid's a stud. Never liked Smith and I'll be happy once that choke artist is shipped off to KC.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I think Smith is better than you give him credit for, Jay. You can't completely hold his results from his first few years against him now, given how utterly inept the coaching he had then was. As soon as he got a good coach to work with, boom, good results.

Anyway, like I said, I think the 49ers can get a 1st for him, or at worst a very early 2nd.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:04 pm

I doubt they'll get better than a 3rd for him. I think every GM in the league has learned the Matt Cassel, Matt Flynn, and Kevin Kolb lesson too well.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm not holding his awful years against him. I'm holding his the past 2 seasons against him. Smith will never win a game for the 9ers. The 9ers will always win around him. Kaep can win games when the defense lets a few points go. His accuracy isn't quite there like Smith's but I'd rather take 60% completion with a mix of some huge plays over 70% with slow movement up the field. Apparently Harbaugh felt the same way hence the 9ers are in the bowl now.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 am

C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 pm

LOLOLOLOLOL

Poor Wes! First Gisele blames him for a Super Bowl loss then his wife makes an ass out of herself. He just can't win! (LOL)

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Super Bowl Prediction:

28-24, 49ers win.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:05 pm

blown (no-)call
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure