NFL 2012

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: NFL 2012

Postby Reynaldo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Can't believe they didn't let Kap try to run it in at least once during that last series.

Pretty bad no call but can't really blame them. Either way you call that it wins the game for one team or the other.

At least they didn't "Miami / Ohio State" the call and throw the flag 10 seconds after it was over.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Arlos » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:30 am

I was also very disappointed in the play calling during that last sequence. 4 tries to score a TD from the 5, with time remaining basically irrelevant, except in how much they left for Baltimore to come back and attempt to win or tie. 1 run (that was fine), then 2 bad passing options, which were run in a haphazard enough fashion that they needed to burn a timeout lest they lose 5 yards, and then that last desperation heave.

That said, they SHOULD have called illegal contact or defensive holding on that play. The guy was draped all over Crabtree in the end zone, which was definitively beyond 5 yards, as the play started on the 5, so anything in the end zone is obviously more than 5 yards downfield. 49ers fans are going to be bitter about that one for some time, I suspect.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 am

They should have called holding and defensive PI at least a half dozen times against the 9ers, too, Arlos. The officiating was very balanced, and they were not calling anything not overt. In watching the game from a completely unbiased point of view, I think San Fran got away with several more penalties. I've watched that last play a few times and I think it was a fair no call, especially given the severity of the play.

I need to watch the Kaep INT again, but from the angle on my TV I'm baffled why Moss didn't go up for that ball. The guy has a great vertical leap and he just stood there. I'm totally baffled why on the 7 yard line with Haloti Ngata out the 9ers aren't pounding Gore down their throats with the read option.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 am

At the end, Kaepernick read the D well. He couldn't run. The space looked open but it was locked down. Raven's goal line D is ridiculous and Ed Reed is a genius. No question in my mind though that Crabtree was robbed and there should have been a defensive holding call there to make it 1st and goal.

9ers made crucial mistakes. LeMichael James' fumble was rough but the way they niners eliminated him as an option after that lead to their offensive power shrinking. On the flipside the same thing happened to Rice and the Ravens still trusted him enough to use him in crucial plays after the fact. The biggest factor was the Niners secondary letting Torrey Smith make him his bitch. Flacco was doing some daredevil shit and getting away with it. The Niners D also slept on Dennis Pitta who is totally an unsung hero and one of the best TE's. Kaepernick, after the first half's follies, was golden. No doubt in my mind he's clutch and I think the experience will shape him to become the next great quarterback. This game also saw him getting nailed a few times and for the first time and he got up unshaken and still played a great game. Moss had some great catches but essentially gave up before the game was over. He should've had a touchdown pass though but I think VD jumped and deflected it away from him by mistake. Ugh. Frustrating game.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 am

Lyion wrote:They should have called holding and defensive PI at least a half dozen times against the 9ers, too, Arlos. The officiating was very balanced, and they were not calling anything not overt. In watching the game from a completely unbiased point of view, I think San Fran got away with several more penalties. I've watched that last play a few times and I think it was a fair no call, especially given the severity of the play.

i see what you're saying but i can't get behind any argument that uses past blown calls to legitimize future blown calls, because where does it end?

and right or wrong, i really dislike that the biggest single game in sports was decided in the final seconds by such a disputable call
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Lyion » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:12 pm

After watching the play a bunch of times this morning is I still think it was a fair no call. Crabtree was doing just as much mugging, and most of the contact was within 5 yards. I saw several plays down the field where the 9er D did a far worse job of mugging the Ravens WRs. However, the 'method' used to call PI was 'fair' in my opinion.

The penalty that should have been called was the hold in the endzone at the end of the game for the punt. That said, there's holding on just about every play and since they were already taking the safety, not sure it would've made any difference.

I expect the Niners to compete again next year. I'll be surprised if the Ravens even make the playoffs next year. I expect Flacco to get paid and their D to take a step back withour Reed and Lewis.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 pm

They're already over the cap and Flacco is going to want close to 20 mil a year. I'm not sure what he makes now but being on the back end of his rookie deal it can't be much more than 3-5 mil.

So even with Rayray taking his 10 mil a year out with him or whatever he makes, they still come up WAY short. Reed is an aging vet that is a great canditate to "Patriot" on out of town to avoid paying a safety an insane amount of money and keep your younger guys like Kruger.

I still see the Ravens winning the north next year though. Steelers are average, Bengals still need more pieces and the Browns are heading in the right direction but still need a couple years.

Flacco wanting huge money is going to crush the Ravens 2 or 3 years from now though.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 am

Tikker wrote:Wheres reed going? Thought he said he was coming back for sure

The rumor is Reed is heading to New England.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Previous

Return to Sports and LEEZure