2013 - 2014 NFL season

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: 2013 - 2014 NFL season

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Reynaldo wrote:
Reynaldo wrote:9-0 Chiefs!

Have a bye week then play the sunday night game @ Denver.

Will be a real barometer of where they're at. Honestly, Peyton isn't going to miss open receivers and make dumb mistakes that we've been fortunate enough to have with all the backup QBs we've been going up against. And if we can't get sacks on Jeff Tuel of all people I'm kind of worried about the pass rush lately, 1 sack in the last 2 games.

Hoping for the best but expecting a 31-17 broncos win. Then hopefully we can make adjustments and beat them at Arrowhead 2 weeks later.

Looks like I was pretty spot on here.

Pass rush has straight up vanished. Not just last night but the last 3 games. We won't beat Denver @ KC either unless we get an officiating crew that lets our DBs be physical with their WRs. Way too many def holding/PI calls to extend Bronco drives.

I wasn't disappointed with Smith at all. I thought he made plenty of good throws down the field and gave his WRs great chances to make plays. They just....didn't.

Just gotta beat SD at home next week and hope the Pats can take down the Broncos

He shoulda thrown MORE passes but like I said, he's safe and he can't make big plays. Denver's passing D is terrible and Smith shoulda taken advantage of that. Can't be a great QB if you can't throw and won't take risks.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Seattle's probably gonna win it all imo. They're the only team in the nfl right now that are great on both sides of the ball. I think teams like Denver with explosive offense and shit defense get exposed in the playoffs and there's always the fact that Pey-Rod doesn't do exceptionally well in the post season.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:16 pm

lions game was kind of a bummer, though also not totally unsurprising. that failed fake field goal really changed the tides of that game. (same was true of a faked FG at the MSU/NU game on saturday, though we couldn't really expect to give up five turnovers and still win the game. le sigh.)
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Ganzo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

leah wrote:lions game was kind of a bummer, though also not totally unsurprising. that failed fake field goal really changed the tides of that game. (same was true of a faked FG at the MSU/NU game on saturday, though we couldn't really expect to give up five turnovers and still win the game. le sigh.)

Attempting only 2 passes to Calvin Johnson in the second half and benching Bush while Bell was injured lost them that game, those 3 points didn't really matter.
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:28 am

Fuck Brady. Really do not like that dude, or Belicheat. Way to go Panthers. Carolina is for real.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:57 am

Ganzo wrote:
leah wrote:lions game was kind of a bummer, though also not totally unsurprising. that failed fake field goal really changed the tides of that game. (same was true of a faked FG at the MSU/NU game on saturday, though we couldn't really expect to give up five turnovers and still win the game. le sigh.)

Attempting only 2 passes to Calvin Johnson in the second half and benching Bush while Bell was injured lost them that game, those 3 points didn't really matter.

fair enough.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 am

Football continues its death spiral into illegitimacy, much like Basketball.

I didn't watch this game because like I said, Football is dead to me while officiating repeatedly trumps athleticism. I read about this so I had to go look for myself afterwards.

There is no excuse for that not being called. It's plain as day.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm

49ers were robbed too. Personal foul because Brees is a midget? That should have been sack, fumble, 49ers ball, game over.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Arlos wrote:49ers were robbed too. Personal foul because Brees is a midget? That should have been sack, fumble, 49ers ball, game over.

Kaep is not as focused as he was last year and that's because of Alex Smith. Look at his demeanor on the bench. Last year anytime they turned te camera to the sidelines he was either studying the D or talking to Alex Smith. This year he's laughing and showing off his swag. When he passes he doesn't scan the d, he just looks right at his target. I'm sure Harbaugh will straighten him out and in all fairness this is his first full season but all his talent and potential are wasted if he doesn't work harder.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Harrison wrote:Football continues its death spiral into illegitimacy, much like Basketball.

I didn't watch this game because like I said, Football is dead to me while officiating repeatedly trumps athleticism. I read about this so I had to go look for myself afterwards.

It's music to my ears since hopefully it fires up the Pats to lay wood to the Broncos this week. So if KC holds serve vs San Diego we'll be back up a game in the west with denver coming to town.

Wasn't that it was a bad no call, it was bad that the guy standing 2 feet away threw the flag and the other officials bullied him out of it. See what I did there???
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Harrison wrote:Football continues its death spiral into illegitimacy, much like Basketball.

---8<---

what exactly am i looking at here
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby leah » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 am

Arlos wrote:49ers were robbed too. Personal foul because Brees is a midget? That should have been sack, fumble, 49ers ball, game over.

mrehhhhhh i don't know about that. depending on the angle, it looked pretty bad, like his head/neck got wrenched. besides which, if you know your target is a midget, probably you should adjust accordingly, no? kind of like having to adjust how/where you pitch a ball depending on the batter's height so you can ensure a strike?

i obviously am not a football player. just speculating.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby leah » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:30 am

brinstar wrote:

---8<---

what exactly am i looking at here

i had to google it because i wasn't sure either and didn't watch the game. dudebro who is hugging the dudebro on the other team is committing pass interference and the nearby ref threw a flag but the other refs who were further away apparently talked him out of it?
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 am

Arguably you could say it wasn't pass interference, due to positioning and his ability to catch or not catch the ball, blah blah blah.

I can see that and possibly even agree with it.

But, not calling holding at all? It's seriously not even subtle anymore that this shit is ruining this sport.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:18 pm

It was PI. That said the 'code' is not to throw a flag on the last play of the game. Since Lord Brady ordered a flag, I'm surprised one was not immediately thrown, though. "Hey bro, it was PI? Yea, but we've fixed enough games for the Pats. Pick it up so they can get some empathy despite the fact they are cheating bastards.

9ers were jobbed.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Also i think the difference was that wasn't a "hail mary" situation so it should have been treated as a normal play where the penalty counts. From the 25 it's a legit pattern you can try to squeeze in.

Nothing ever gets called on the scrum in a hail mary unless it's that Browns vs. Lions game where they called it on the Browns. But then again, no team in the history of the NFL gets jobbed more than the Browns.

I'm expecting to see A LOT of defensive holding / PI called against the Broncos at least early in the game this sunday to give the Pats the "make up call". Wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats up 14 or 21 in the 2nd half before the refs call off the dogs and let the Broncos start chipping away to make it look respectable at the end. Fully looking for the fix for a Pats win though (which would be great!)
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:37 pm

That's the thing. You shouldn't expect that sort of underhanded shady shit for anyone.

You shouldn't expect a makeup call the next game because of the shittiness of the previous game's officiating.

That isn't professional. It's fucking stupid. This is why football is dead to me.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:08 pm

On the upside, I hear College Football is finally going the way of a tournament system? Did I hear this correctly?

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 pm

something like that. starts next season i believe

i still think the best approach is a sweet 16 playoff - each of the 11 conference champions get automatic seeds and the top 5 non-champion teams fill in the rest. that way the little guy always has a shot at being a giantkiller, and the at-larges let strong conferences make a good showing
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:15 am

Well not much that weekend went according to plan. Chiefs now look like they may drop 3-4 of the next 5 with such bad defense and losing your two best rushers.

At least Denver lost though in excruciating fashion.

For college I'm in favor of expanding to 8 but that's it. 4 leaves out the small schools making good like NIU, but 16 waters it down a bit too much.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby leah » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:17 am

i didn't get to watch the game because it was preempted by the GB/MN game, which was actually pretty exciting... but oh lions, why can't we have nice things? not looking forward to thursday's game. though on second thought, it's pretty fun to get all of josh's family together to watch the game (they're why i am a lions fan) because there's lots of yelling and beer-drinking and self-deprecating humor about cheering for such a perennially disappointing team. yay thanksgiving. :boots:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Tuggan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:22 am

what the hell, there's lions fans outside of michigan? are his folks from michigan or something?
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby leah » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:50 am

nope. they just really got into the lions back in the halcyon days of barry sanders and have been diehard fans ever since. it's kind of fun to have a team affiliation--as a nebraskan, the options are usually "pick one at random," "follow a favorite husker to a different team," or "just root for the chiefs since they're the closest." i like having married into a family with a team that i can make my own. plus it's kind of fun to root for an underdog--a lot less stressful than being fans of a team that actually has a snowball's chance in hell of doing big things, ha.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby brinstar » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:31 pm

all my brothers are lions fans

that includes my fake brother, my brother-in-law, and my brother-in-law-in-law

not sure about my half brother though i think he's more interested in hockey
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew