WHAT IN THE BLESSED NAME OF FUCK IS THIS???

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:03 am

Lyion wrote:I remember in one finals set, Magic switched from playing Point Guard to center, and used his 'mini' skyhook to help win.

That was in his rookie year, too. 1980/81(I think), in game 5 Kareem got hurt so Magic played center in game 6 and scored something like 46 pts. Got playoff MVP. Can't think of to many other players who got playoff MVP in their rookie year.

Lyion wrote:Iverson could be a PG. /shrug. He just is too much of a 'me' guy to ever be a good one. Also, he lacks the one thing that all good short PGs have, he's not white. ;)

Iverson has been a 'me' player because he is miles ahead of anyone else on any team, aside from Olympic, that he has ever played on.
Zanchief

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:04 am

Bah~
Zanchief

Postby Lyion » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:04 am

Zanchief wrote:
Iverson has been a 'me' player because he is miles ahead of anyone else on any team, aside from Olympic, that he has ever played on.

True enough, but he certainly doesn't work to 'elevate' those around him, in my opinion.

I'd like to see him on a team with another Bona Fide superstar, to see how he handles it.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:07 am

I kick so much ass.

He would probably be at his best with a completely unselfish point-guard and a big center who commands attention. Imagine him with Jason Kidd and Yao.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:14 am

Now that Snow is gone from Philly, you might see a lot more AI at PG.
Zanchief

Postby Lyion » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:16 am

vonkaar wrote:I kick so much ass.

He would probably be at his best with a completely unselfish point-guard and a big center who commands attention. Imagine him with Jason Kidd and Yao.

If he goes to the Rockets, he gets Yao, and Francis who IMO is just as good as Kidd.

I like Nash better than Kidd as a PG, but thats just personal preference from seeing how well he handled all the selfish fuckers in Dallas...
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:27 am

Lyion wrote:all the selfish fuckers in Dallas

You mean Walker?

Dirk and Finley are hardly selfish. Dirk *should* be selfish... he'd be scoring title contender. I've done the Nash > Kidd argument on other forums before... basically, I concede defeat under the condition of 'pure point-guards, nash is better'. Kidd does a lot more than simply play point so... he's excluded... yeah, that's it!
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Lyion » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:35 am

vonkaar wrote:
Lyion wrote:all the selfish fuckers in Dallas

You mean Walker?

Dirk and Finley are hardly selfish. Dirk *should* be selfish... he'd be scoring title contender. I've done the Nash > Kidd argument on other forums before... basically, I concede defeat under the condition of 'pure point-guards, nash is better'. Kidd does a lot more than simply play point so... he's excluded... yeah, that's it!

Dont take 'selfish' literally. I just mean all the offensive firepower.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:35 am

A rebounding PG helps your offense immensly.

Lyion wrote:If he goes to the Rockets, he gets Yao, and Francis who IMO is just as good as Kidd.

A few points.

1) Francis plays for Orlando now.
2) In no way is cry baby Francis better then Kidd.
3) I like muffins.
Last edited by Zanchief on Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zanchief

Postby vonkaar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:36 am

August 4, 2004 -- Having acquired Jason Terry in a deal for Antoine Walker yesterday, the Dallas Mavericks may be gearing up for a run at Jason Kidd, league sources maintain.
No deal could be done for 60 days after Terry's trade, and the Mavs actually welcome the time as a better way to gauge Kidd's recovery from left knee surgery. The Nets and Mavs had spoken in recent weeks on a deal involving Kidd and Walker, a trade that became moot when Walker went to Atlanta. However, the Mavs apparently feel Terry would be a better fit in any proposal to get Kidd.

Both sides feel that the next move belongs to Kidd, who has adopted a wait-and-see approach. Kidd, who was angered by the Nets trading Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles for draft picks, met with team brass, then agreed to assess the situation after a cool-down period.

On other fronts, the Nets' courtship of free agents Ron Mercer and Eric Williams continues, with Mercer seemingly closer to getting done. "We're still working at it," said Mercer's agent, Andy Miller.

But with Williams, the 6-8 Cavs free agent who the Nets feel could replace some of Martin's lost rebounding and defense, negotiations that were moving smoothly may have stalled. The Nets have offered three years at $11.5 million and "we're just waiting to hear back on a few things," said Williams' agent, Mark Bartelstein.

"Everything is about where it was," said Nets CEO Rod Thorn.

This article has helped ease my burning hatred towards Don Nelson Jr.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby vonkaar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:39 am

In other news...

Minnesota is looking at a trade with Portland involving Syczerbiak for Reef.

That might put Minnesota > San Antonio in my book... that's a scary trade.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:42 am

Shareef is a great player on paper. Not so great on the court though.
Zanchief

Postby vonkaar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:47 am

Look at the teams he's played on... give him some support and he'll break out. He's > Spree IMO.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

actually

Postby Malluas » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:57 am

reef is soft as shit. but they aren't losing much gettin rid of Zerbs

Still think Spurs are way up on the Timberwolves.
Malluas
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Rotj » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:34 pm

Random question -- But assuming the world quickly catches up against American basketball..would there ever be a limit of foreign players in an NBA team? Kinda like what soccer in Spain has done. A limit of 3 non-European players per team.

Probably would never happen with Commisioner Stern in charge..but if he got removed?
Rotj
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Kramer » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:47 pm

Christian Laettner and Danny Ferry are my Fucking Heroes!!!!!!!!!!!
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:49 pm

Rotj wrote:Random question -- But assuming the world quickly catches up against American basketball..would there ever be a limit of foreign players in an NBA team? Kinda like what soccer in Spain has done. A limit of 3 non-European players per team.

Probably would never happen with Commisioner Stern in charge..but if he got removed?

No. There is too much money to be made marketing the NBA internationally.
    Zanchief

if the euros pull even

Postby Malluas » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:34 pm

if the world pulls even (again we will never kno since US never sends a real team) Stern said he is considering a world league.

That would be fuckin nuts, but would be kinda cool. Might water down some of the product, but would make it a true world championship.
    Malluas
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby vonkaar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:14 pm

With players like Dirk, Yao and Ginobili coming from all corners of the world... I think it's only a matter of time before the sport is 'truly' world-recognized. My company has had an office in Shanghai for only 2 months and they are already sending me Yao schwag. Those players are heroes in their countries... youngsters will keep it going.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Rotj » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:25 pm

Rotj
    NT Disciple
    NT Disciple

Postby vonkaar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:11 pm

Espn wrote:Highlights...

The Germans' top player, Dallas Mavericks All-Star Dirk Nowitzki, appeared to have sent the game to overtime by making a 3-pointer over two defenders to tie the score at 77 with 3.2 seconds left. Nowitzki scored a game-high 32 points.

The Americans held a slim lead early, never leading by more than five points, until Nowitzki's six straight points on jumpers lifted the Germans to a 59-56 lead with 2:40 left in the third quarter.

He's so badass it's scary.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:43 am

Dallas players lost during off season
    Steve Nash
    Antoine Walker
    Antoine Jamison
    Tony Delk

Dallas players picked up in the off season
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Christian Laettner
    Devin Harris
    Alan Henderson
    Jason Terry

Shocking when you really look at it. Is Dallas playoff bound next year?
    Zanchief

Postby vonkaar » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:58 am

It's not shocking when you consider that Nellie is sitting in his Summer home. Cuban and Donnie can't handle this shit themselves.

Kidd would be their only redeeming trade at this point.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:04 am

Starting lineup

Jason Terry-PG
    Michael Finley-SG
    Jerry Stackhouse-SF
    Christian Laettner/Najera-PF
    Dirk-Center

Even with your rookie sensations off the bench, that's not a playoff team.
    Zanchief

Postby vonkaar » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:26 am

Nope...

Starters:
    Jason Terry - PG
    Marquis Daniels - SG
    Michael Finley - SF
    Dirk Nowitzki - PF
    Calvin Booth - C

Bench: Laettner(PF), Stackhouse(SF/SG), Najera(PF), Howard(SF), Bradley(C), Harris(PG), Pavel(C).

Which... is a much better team than what you described.. it's still not a good playoff team in the West. We look like a 7th or 8th(more likely) place contender. It'd probably be a top 4 in the East though =p.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

PreviousNext

Return to Sports and LEEZure