workouts - nutrition

Where everyone discusses football, and two dorks try to pretend people actually like the NBA and spam what should be in PMs.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Postby Ginzburgh » Mon May 03, 2004 10:44 am

My routine looks like this:

Mon: Chest / Tricept
Tuesday: legs
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: Shoulders / Forearms
Fri: Back / Bicepts

outdoor activities on the weekend

I mostly started excersising to lose weight. I am 5'8 and weight 215 last march, now I'm down to 160, my target so I'm concentrating less on the cardio and more on the weight lifting.

I still do a half hour of cardio a day, then I stretch for like 10 minutes, then I do about 6 or 7 movements (depending on the day) i.e. Monday (today) I'll hit 5 movments for chest primary and two movements for tricept primary. All 5 movments for chest primary are secondary tricepts so I'm hitting both at the same time. That goes for Back and bicepts too and when I do shoulders I concentrate on dumbells and throw forearms in (preacher curls are you friend).

I eat pretty regularly, nothing overthe top. I started excersising to lose weight (because I quit cigerettes at the same time and the common notion is that when you quit smoking you gain weight). So now I'm where I'm at and just trying to build muscle.

And I dont stuff my face and or eat a ton of protein, I actually watch what I eat and I eat smaller portions while still doing 30minutes of cardio daily and I have seen dramatic muscle growth in the course of 1 month.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby liquidstayce » Mon May 03, 2004 11:25 am

sounds like a great program Ginz. Very solid!

This is one of the best articles I have read in a while about nutrition - READ ON:
http://www.paulchekseminars.com/articles.cfm?select=42
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Martrae » Mon May 03, 2004 11:28 am

Been doing the Winsor Pilates. Didn't realize how little I used some muscles until I did and they only take 20 or so minutes.

My personal feeling is if you spend more than an hour a day worrying about what foods you are eating and exercising then you are most likely obsessive compulsive. Life is out there, get out and enjoy it and you barely think about food. :)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Goose_Man » Mon May 03, 2004 11:29 am

If you're trying to gain weight, aside from the diet advice given here, you will probably get better results if you alter your training regimen a little bit. For example, when working the larger muscles of your body, pecs, hams, quads, do fewer reps at higher resistence. Burning out large muscle groups with high rep exercises requires higher amounts of caloric intake to be burned up as energy, rather than being used in the muscle rebuilding process during your day off.

Changing your routine is essential!

I have found that 2 weeks with one routine then 2 weeks with a different routine then back to the initial routine.. etc... works pretty well for me. Then after 10-13 weeks I totally switch up my routine. Oh yeah it’s also a good idea to take an entire week off every 8 or so weeks. However, I don’t buy into the low reps high weight for gaining mass and high reps low weight for “cutting”. Just go to failure.. If you feel like doing more reps lower the weight and go to failure.
Goose_Man
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby liquidstayce » Mon May 03, 2004 11:57 am

Martrae wrote:Been doing the Winsor Pilates. Didn't realize how little I used some muscles until I did and they only take 20 or so minutes.

My personal feeling is if you spend more than an hour a day worrying about what foods you are eating and exercising then you are most likely obsessive compulsive. Life is out there, get out and enjoy it and you barely think about food. :)

I was a compulsive and emotional eater from puberty on. I have to keep what I eat in check all the time and I eat all day long - every 3 hrs. So yes, I do think about it more than an hour a day so I don't snack extra on bad foods in large portions. Granted I don't calculate calories and my macronutirent rations anymore b/c I do think that is too obsessive for me but I do eyeball estimates when I'm doing my regular routine. Right now JC is sort of giving me a break from that. As soon as I stop thinking about it or just letting things go then I lose my routine and set myself back further from my longer term goals.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Martrae » Mon May 03, 2004 1:03 pm

I wasn't belittling you, hon. I'm in the same boat as you as far as past eating habits.

I found that if I worry about what I'm eating and what I'm going to have next and 'omg was that too fattening' then I'm pushing myself into a downward spiral that's hard to crawl out of. In other words if I think about food too much I want more than is good for me

If I get out and do errands or play with the kids or get into an arguement with Toss ;) I do much better and honestly have a clearer outlook.

It's all about what works for you tho. I just can't stand the thought I'm 'wasting' my life obsessing about every bite I eat.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby liquidstayce » Mon May 03, 2004 3:03 pm

I know you were not. =) Just wanted to make my thought process clear on the subject. I do think that everyone needs to find out what works for them via trial and error.

I'm also a firm believer in eliminating negitive thoughts about food and replacing them with positive stuff. I don't believe on beating myself up about the times I eat unhealthy or off my plan. I just keep on moving forward and try not to let 1 episode turn into multiple days of not working out or eating healthy.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby mappatazee » Mon May 03, 2004 3:30 pm

Some people are fat.
mappatazee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Aatrex » Mon May 03, 2004 3:34 pm

I think I'm going to be upset when/if my metabolism slows down :(
Aatrex
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Re: workouts - nutrition

Postby Durck » Tue May 04, 2004 10:38 am

Stacy wrote:People who do workout.. What's your routine? Cardio + lifting? Other activities? If you lift, how often? Anyone loose a significant amt of weight over the last few years? Anyone trying to get into shape for summer or a special event?

Well LS as you will remember from last year, I started working out about 7 months ago. My routine has varied but I have finally settled into a rather nice routine.

Daily at lunch, I run across street to Bally's and do Cardio. At least 40 mins worth. Usually CardioGlide, Stairs or jog on treadmill.

M-W-F at 5:OO PM after work, me and the trainer have a session. M & F are upper body, rotating between, M - Back, Triceps, Shoulders on M, and Chest, Biceps (other areas as time allows) on F. On W - Leg day, usually leg presses, then squats, followed by various lunges, then leg extensions, both hams and quads, followed by some form of calf exercise. I always do 20 mins of cardio to warm up, stretch, and then do 20 mins of Cardio to cool down, Stretch.

On Sundays - at 1PM I do another Leg workout, so that I can get 2 leg workouts a week. Each workout is spaced so that the body area has atleast 3-4 days to rest. So that Im not over doing it in any particular area. We always modify the excercises, so my body doesnt get used to any one thing. And switch between dumbells, barbells and machines.

So the results? Well when I started I weighed 282 lbs with a bodyfat of 37%. Today, Im down to 234lbs, I have a body fat of 20% (last measured 1 month ago, so probably lower) and my overall strength has doubled. Im squatting 315, bench pressing 225, and can easily leg press 7 plates on each side. My stamina is through the sky. I smile a lot more. And I sleep the best ever in my life. Oh and I went from 44" waist to 38". Im thick in middle still, and have a slight stomach still to lose, but that is going off slowly, with time, just the way I like it.

I learned its just about sticking to it. And keeping it interesting. And not being afraid to stretch out there and try new stuff. And never ever be scared of being sore. The marines have a great saying, "Pain is a weakness leaving the body." It's my motto at times, when I really am sore after a thourough lambasting in the gym.

Being a software engineer, I do tend to push it hard in the gym because I tend to sit on my ass most of the day long. Its nice balancing act actually. Buying the membership, and paying for professional training has been the best personal investment I have ever made.

-Duck
Durck
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Durck » Tue May 04, 2004 10:47 am

Hordace Coldfire wrote:Well how about a diet plan for those of us that want to gain some weight? I'm about 5'10" and weigh 142lbs(finally!). I'd like to be more around 170ish, but just can't seem to keep the weight on. The past 4 years I have maintained a weight between 120 and 130 even though I eat constantly and not a lot of it being junk food. I'm a carboholic, gotta have that linguine with clam sauce. Steak every now and then, hamburgers often, raw 93% lean chopped beef more often. To top it off, my job is pretty much a workout in and of itself working both my legs as well as my arms and chest. I'm fairly strong for my weight and definitely don't look it. Already have a girlfriend so not looking to impress anyone other than myself. I don't go for those commercial bullshit supplements and whatnot like creatine or the stacker line, it's just not my gig. I've thought of going to a nutritionist, but being that I'm trying to put myself through college, money is in short order and even 50 bucks makes me cringe. So if anybody has any advice, I'd certainly like to hear it.....other than the expected "enjoy it now while you can" that I hear from everybody already.

Look into adding extra protein to your diet, and start doing bulking exercises in the gym. I.E. Lift heavy, low reps. Do this for atleast 6 weeks. I suggest bulking in all areas, Lower & Upper Body. Keep the protein, atleast where its a minimum of 1.5 grams for your lean muscle mass, which your gym can help you figure out. This extra protein, along with your normal carbs will help you add muscle mass, which will help you bulk up. Be careful tho, you have to keep your calorie intake appropriate, because as you add muscle mass your going to burn more calories, i.e. Metabolism will go up. You may want to take on a protein shake or 2 a day, I drink Met-RX myself.

-Duck
Durck
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Goose_Man » Tue May 04, 2004 11:17 am

Durck.. GREAT JOB I love hearing stuff like this!

How do you do legs twice a week!? Man after a leg day I’m having trouble sitting on toilets and walking down stairs for about 5 days.

You want some great get big info? Read this.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine ... g_diet.htm

and

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine ... wilson.htm

You are pretty much guaranteed to get big following this sound advice.
Goose_Man
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby liquidstayce » Tue May 04, 2004 11:54 am

Wow Durck. That is inspiring. So cool to hear you are getting results from all the hard work. I'm with you on the sedentary job situation. I work my ass off in the morning at the gym but then I sit on my butt for 8 plus hours at the PC the majority of the time. The only activity I get during the day is walking to the water cooler. I am using a pedometer now to make sure I get in added activity but I have not been consistent with it. I try to make sure I hit an additional 10,000 steps to my workout.

Do you think that added cardio at lunch has been a big factor for you? For a while I tried to do split workouts with cardio in the am and lifting after work. It was really hard though. I'm pretty beat by the end of the day. My only activity after work is usually walking my dogs and sometimes Dana just goes by himself. Running at lunch is possible but the hassle of having to go to the gym work out, shower, then go back to the gym 3-4 hrs later and shower again isnt very appealing to me. It's a bit harder for women.. ya know the makeup, stockings, etc. You guys have it easier. =P
Last edited by liquidstayce on Tue May 04, 2004 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Mop » Tue May 04, 2004 11:56 am

Routine, str.

Sun -Chest, shoulder, Bicep
Mon Legs
Tues - Cardio light 25 min
Wed- Back/ Hamstring/tri
Thurs 25 min cardio
Friday off
Sat-Cardio

Routine lean/Str
Sun Chest/ Shoulder 20 min HIIT
Mon Legs ( ask me how to climb a mountian in a squat rack )
Tues Cardio 50 min low intensity
Wed Back/HS 20 min uphill sprints, HIIT
Thurs50 min light cardio
Friday Arms with HIIT

Power program:
Sun Full Body Plyometrics, sprints to finish
Mon Off
Tuesday uphill wlaking.
Wed upper Body Plyo
Thurs Lower Body plyo w/ sprints.
Friday Off
Sat uphill walking

Those are the three i tend to rotate through, and usually a combo of different ones through out the year, IE: power/Str

I am currently trying to plan out a muscular endurance portion so far what I have started my clients really like and want more of it.

I would go into exatc work out routines because I love talking about it, but not going to bore you all.

yomop~
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Durck » Thu May 06, 2004 2:48 pm

Stacy wrote:Do you think that added cardio at lunch has been a big factor for you?

Absolutely. I hit a wall about 240lbs. I couldn't lose weight. My diet was settled in. I was just peaked out metabolism, calorie etc wise, and optimized so i couldn't lose. I tried dieting, but I got so weak it was affecting my workouts. So I decided to try increasing the cardio. Way I see it, the more calories I burn, the more weight I lose. I do about 5k calories a weak in Cardio. Im not talking some 15k run every day here. Im just talking about the extra 40 min / 600 calorie a day session, that goes with the normal work out routines. I broke thru the wall, and started dropping a pount or two a week. So its been real slow and steady. I also do bulking from time to time, so I tend to gain up weight for a few weeks, then drop down again, after I get off the regimen. It really increases the muscle mass.

Goose_Man wrote:How do you do legs twice a week!? Man after a leg day I’m having trouble sitting on toilets and walking down stairs for about 5 days.

Easy, I do them Wednesday and Sundays. Gives me at least 3 days rest between. And I supplement with L-Glutamine that helps in the recovery. Less pain, when really blowing out with crusher squats, 5 sets of 5, 5 second hold squats. Start at 225, do a squat, at bottom, hold for 5-10 secs, push up, repeat 5 times, thats 1 set. Increase weight proportionally, til you doing around 285-305. HURTS HURTS HURTS, the next day, but your hams/gluts/lumbar will love you for it in a few weeks =)
Durck
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Mop » Thu May 06, 2004 3:05 pm

Durck you may like this... mountian style

Start w/ 30 reps, then 20, then 10, 7, 5 rest for a min then do 5, 7 , 10 , 20, 30 reps -- adjust the weight accordingly and do Famers walk in between ... best short quick leg work out .
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Previous

Return to Sports and LEEZure