WOW starting to cave into the powergamer crowd?

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

WOW starting to cave into the powergamer crowd?

Postby Lyion » Wed May 19, 2004 7:28 am

Gee, could this be because they invited a lot of 'full time' guilds to beta? The more I hear about WOW, the more uneasy I am that it'll cater to full time players...

WoW.WarCraftStrategy.com has an interview with Andy Kirton in article formay, covering a fairly impressive range of 'World of Warcraft' topics:

When I mentioned that my next question was a somewhat controversial one, Andy chuckled and said, "the rest state" with a large grin on his face. I smiled and nodded as he went on to explain the intentions of it. It did make more sense when he told me how it was meant to let players who didn't have the chance to play for longer durations daily catch up to their friends faster. But he did say that the way it was presented to the players didn't go over quite right, so tweaks were in the process of being done and the next version should hopefully be better received. The new version will allow players who play a few hours a day but like to go 'all out' on weekends to remain rested longer, since they never really left the well rested state to begin with. It really sounds promising for the casual players.
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby labbats » Wed May 19, 2004 7:33 am

Why can't they create a server that kicks off anyone that plays more than a certain time every week?

Say someone regularly plays 10 hours a week. He's screwed in a normal server. Yet a part-time server dedicated to him would own. However, someone would always abuse this and try to be a big fish in a small pond. Well, EQ had a timer on every player, and with this technology, anyone who played over say, 20 hours a week, would simply not be allowed to garner experience or loot from kills.
labbats
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby Tikker » Wed May 19, 2004 12:11 pm

I don't understand that line of thinking at all

why in the world would you punish people who like to play the game a lot?

That's like saying, "well the casual gamer will only finish 2 quests a week, and play for a total of 1 year, so lets only make 100 total quests so that they don't feel bad that other people can finish more quests"

ridiculous
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tacks » Wed May 19, 2004 1:56 pm

What they're doing with the rest sytem is good IMO. If you're well rested you get 200% xp from mobs. It takes a long time to get to rested state. You have to be playing a LONG time to get crappy exp. On the beta boards they're talking about changing this in some way anyways.

I really don't see a problem with this, especially when it is tweaked. Blizzard tests the shit out of it's games and listens to its testers. Now if they would just let us level beyond 39...

PVP is opening very soon so it should be interesting for a while.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Wed May 19, 2004 2:34 pm

I think they are going by the premise that casual gamers get turned off a game and only play for a year because they are quickly outlevelled and will never see half the content.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Treehorn » Wed May 19, 2004 2:40 pm

Looks like 55 is coming with the next push (along with new rest state, talent system, new zones, zone re-vamps, Hunters, etc., etc., etc.), Taxx, and that is coming very soon.
I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!
Treehorn
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Herko » Wed May 19, 2004 3:35 pm

If they were catering to casual players then they would/will have a rather big problem with the in game time cycle. Right now its a 24 hours ingame/out in RL cycle. So if you play every weekday from 7pm to 9pm then you will only see darkness in Azeroth whenever you play. That is if you are in the US during that time, itll be light if you in say Europe and its 7pm your time.

Not a biggie except that Night elves may have a game unbalacing skill to use night to their advantage, if your not them then the casuals are screwed.

The fact that they also have the rest system at all, no matter how its working, means they are trying to help the casual players somewhat.

No matter what they do someone is bitching about them helping one side or the other...this is a game...in Beta at that...not politics.
Herko
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Lyion » Wed May 19, 2004 4:59 pm

I think Blizzard does a great job of listening...

But I have an issue if they tweak this game around the suggestions of Afterlife, Fires of Heaven, and Legacy.

Do they have an equal represnentation of casual gamers?

If the game becomes a caste system like EQ, that'd be a shame. It certainly seems they were trying to make it casual friendly.

Taxx wrote:What they're doing with the rest sytem is good IMO. If you're well rested you get 200% xp from mobs. It takes a long time to get to rested state. You have to be playing a LONG time to get crappy exp. On the beta boards they're talking about changing this in some way anyways.

I really don't see a problem with this, especially when it is tweaked. Blizzard tests the shit out of it's games and listens to its testers. Now if they would just let us level beyond 39...

PVP is opening very soon so it should be interesting for a while.
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 19, 2004 5:12 pm

Think about who they are catering the game to when you walk by Guard Berton or Guard Draed.
Zanchief

Postby Scoota McGee » Wed May 19, 2004 8:26 pm

Don't forget Guard Tiggole
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. The compelling issue to both conservatives and liberals is not whether it is legitimate for government to confiscate one's property to give to another, the debate is over the disposition of the pillage."

-Dr. Walter Williams
Scoota McGee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby DangerPaul » Wed May 19, 2004 9:01 pm

I read through the forums tonight. It looks like WoW is being over run by the powerwhiners, you know, the ones that turned EQ into the gannfest it is now.
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby labbats » Wed May 19, 2004 9:22 pm

Tikker wrote:I don't understand that line of thinking at all

why in the world would you punish people who like to play the game a lot?

That's like saying, "well the casual gamer will only finish 2 quests a week, and play for a total of 1 year, so lets only make 100 total quests so that they don't feel bad that other people can finish more quests"

ridiculous

Hey I just wanted one server, not a whole game
labbats
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby Aatrex » Wed May 19, 2004 9:40 pm

Think about who they are catering the game to when you walk by Guard Berton or Guard Draed.

I hardly think that simple nods to players past means the game will be specifically designed for the ubers.

I'm sure you've played WoW more than I, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on what you think the game caters to.
Aatrex
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 19, 2004 9:45 pm

I'd rather not have to run to someone, who I didn't care much for when I played, to save my ass because blizzard wanted to fluff the power gamers for a little instant net-cred.
Zanchief

Postby Aatrex » Wed May 19, 2004 9:58 pm

Truly Berton and Draed have been plugging WoW on all the various fansites they run.

Excellent logic.
Aatrex
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Drunnken » Wed May 19, 2004 10:02 pm

you mean Tigole? do you spell god with two d's?
(sorry about Tig cocksuck he is the false idol of my EQ hayday)

if you're so offended about the guards names gain a bunch of levels or exploit and kill them, then hose the sand out of your vagina, it's been there for 3+ years.
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 19, 2004 10:24 pm

Aatrex wrote:Truly Berton and Draed have been plugging WoW on all the various fansites they run.Excellent logic.

Drunnken wrote:you mean Tigole? do you spell god with two d's?
(sorry about Tig cocksuck he is the false idol of my EQ hayday)

Seemed to work on this hapless Internet loser. He's been stalking me for 3+ years and I have no idea who he is.
Zanchief

Postby Drunnken » Wed May 19, 2004 10:26 pm

being anti-tigole is like being anti-british in the 1800's

you still have to recognize it's power!
(imo he transcended LoS, guilds suck, eq egos are interesting)

you're just a bitter sanctboy :wink:
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Aatrex » Wed May 19, 2004 10:32 pm

I fail to see how Druunken's adoration of Tigole relates to Guard Berton and Guard Draed catering to high end gamers by inciting fluffing from them.

Personally I think you're talking out of your ass, but I'm waiting to see if you can wrap it up.
Aatrex
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 19, 2004 10:45 pm

The mere mention of Tigole sent Drunken into a fellatio frenzy. His inclusion, as well as many other EQ celebrities (all coming from the LoS camp of course) would further entice idol worshiping lemmings to flock to the stores so the can tell all their equally cool friends, he stood next to the real life Guard Tenaj once and juiced his pants, just a little.
Zanchief

Postby Drunnken » Wed May 19, 2004 10:56 pm

if i mention castlevania:sotn, super smash brothers melee, zangief, or canada are you going to go into a fellatio frenzy?

my original intention was correcting the spelling of tigole's name. would you fucking flip out if i corrected someone if they wrote "frank sinattra"?

i was just running through what i'd consider eq celebrities and tigole is the only one i can think of with any real merit in LoS. i'd put bitches like fell and ixnay way ahead of the LoS starlets. maybe we all know their names because we play on their server and they've been the leading guild the whole time? maybe we link their names with WoW because some of their guild worked for blizzard, and more were hired from their guild during eq? fuck that wouldn't make sense though would it?

get a grip, you're deluded flame is just a reflection of how bitter you still are about what happend in a video game three years ago

edit1-grammar
edit2-letting you know edit1 was grammar and i'm not a pussy and don't change what i wrote earlier
Last edited by Drunnken on Wed May 19, 2004 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 19, 2004 11:03 pm

Drunnken wrote:get a grip, that's not a flame, it's a bitter tangent

Drunnken wrote:if you're so offended about the guards names gain a bunch of levels or exploit and kill them, then hose the sand out of your vagina, it's been there for 3+ years.
Zanchief

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 19, 2004 11:05 pm

Drunnken wrote:if i mention castlevania:sotn, super smash brothers melee, zangief, or canada are you going to go into a fellatio frenzy?

Yes~
Zanchief

Postby Drunnken » Wed May 19, 2004 11:10 pm

wait were you saying i've been stalking you for 3+ years or aatrex?

you quoted both of us and your statement is aimed at one person. unless one's the stalker and one's the hapless internet loser?
Drunnken
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 19, 2004 11:13 pm

Drunnken wrote:you quoted both of us and your statement is aimed at one person. unless one's the stalker and one's the hapless internet loser?

Unfortunately, both were for you.

But if you worship me like you do Tigole, it could be considered endearing.
Zanchief

Next

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions