WOW starting to cave into the powergamer crowd?

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby Aatrex » Wed May 26, 2004 12:57 pm

open beta isn't out yet
Aatrex
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Lyion » Wed May 26, 2004 1:05 pm

silvestra wrote:Why dont you try it and form an opinion yourself.

Email your beta info to lyion_sp@yahoo.com please!
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Wed May 26, 2004 1:07 pm

I cant share my info, I made a virtual contract sealed by a virtual handshake.

I can on the other hand, give you my EQ info at the right price =p
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed May 26, 2004 1:32 pm

silvestra wrote:I cant share my info, I made a virtual contract sealed by a virtual handshake.

I can on the other hand, give you my EQ info at the right price =p

50 cents?
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Wed May 26, 2004 1:58 pm

I will consider your offer
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tacks » Wed May 26, 2004 2:02 pm

The automatic cyber tells withint 5 minutes of you logging on should be worth at least $5.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Wed May 26, 2004 2:04 pm

HA!!!!!!!!
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Thu May 27, 2004 1:19 am

There are actually a pretty wide variety of quest types. Yes, there are "Go slay me 10 Ill Tempered Seabass!" quests, and "Go kill orcs until you get 10 Perfect Orc Nutsacks, then come back and see me!" quests. Some quests are also 1-off quests, in that you do them, you get the reward (always XP, usually money or an item too), and that's it.

However, there are a LOT of connected string quests, where each individual quest might be one of the standard types, but together they go through a rather interesting story arc, and you get sense of the quests as relating to a greater whole.

Two quest strings in particular come to mind: Stitches and Myzrael. The Stitches quest starts out normally enough: you find this hermit in a hut, and he asks you for help with something. Usually he sends you to talk to some other person to get something, and that other person gives you another quest to allow completion of the original request. (some are slay quests, some are collect quests, etc.) Finally, after you finish all of his quests, he thanks you, and gives you a encrypted note to give to the mayor of the main town in the zone, saying it's just a note to a friend. You give the mayor the note, he can't read it, you need to find someone to get it translated, etc. Once that happens, you go back to the mayor, and it turns out the entire quest string you've done has actually helped a horribly evil necromancer create Stitches: a insanely powerful necromantic golem of destruction, who proceeds to pull a Frankenstein, and charge off towards town, intent on wiping out the guards and citizens. Usually PCs intercept him before he makes it, but if no one does, he actually does a pretty good job of slaughtering a big chunk of the town guards.

Myzrael is somewhat similar. You read a book in the Stormwind library, which tells you about a prisoned elemental princess in Arathi Highlands, and to go there to find a way to talk to her. You talk to her, and she sends you on a series of quests of increasing difficulty, including killing a L42 elite, a L44 elite, and meet with a rather sinister NPC dwarf in Ironforge. He sends you to Badlands, where you meet with someone and learn that she was really imprisoned for a really good reason, and letting her out would be a Bad Thing. So, you have to go acquire parts of a magical scroll that will let you re-imprison her, then travel back to Arathi. There, you call her up (She's a L52 elite, with several guards), and have to kill her, then use the binding scrolls.

So, while indeed many of the sub-quests that make up each of those 2 larger quest arcs are typical quest types, the overall story to them makes them FAR more palatable than similar quests were in EQ, sin eyou really feel like you're accomplishing something, and progressing at a overall task.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Maybe...

Postby Malluas » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:18 pm

I seems sorta EQish but without some of the dumbness.

Since i can't play it .... i can't really say its cool. Are they gonna have "named" items, not just chail mail.. +4 str? Thats the one thing i loved about EQ. The cool names for items. BUt again when i left the names of items then, don't beat PoP items and stuff.

Arlos... that was funny, 10 perfect orc nutsacks...:)

But if there is a "caste" system, not sure i want to work myself back up it, unless you want a casual gamer in some uber guild or something. Malluas can only do so much when working and stuff :)

Cause a guild of friends quickly goes to uberness and tension

But the graphics are pretty cool, and the idea you don't need to run around lookin for groups for hours is pretty good.

I am just not sure i want to get sucked in again like EQ did with me. Would be nice to kick it with my old EQ buddies tho.

If its like $5 a month i might snag it. But all of ya that know me will have to yell at me alot to get it :) if you want me around
Malluas
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tacks » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:40 pm

It's not going to be 5 bucks a month.

Yes there are "named" items. Theres tons of them ranging from grey items (vendor trash) to purple items (uber rare). It's kind of like Diablo's items with the color system.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:45 pm

Whats the high end content looking like? Are we looking at similar high end time sinks a la EQ, or is there a different endgame?

It seems this is EQ done much, much better. If it is, I still have to wonder how many want to redo the EQ experience, even if its done right.

As far as cost, 15 bucks isn't anything. The problem is will the game be have's and have nots. If its a matter of tons of time sinks <albeit fun> to get 'uber', that will suck.
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Malluas » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:28 pm

well if i make enough money when i get a job i might pick it up.

Would be cool to play with some friends from back in the day and 2 years ago heh
Malluas
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:42 am

no one's seen the endgame yet (other than the in house test team)

WOW is a lot like EQ

It's not a huge leap forward in gaming like a lot of people are hoping for
Some of the shit that sucked in EQ has been improved (tradeskills are actually useful from lvl1 )
but there's still a lot of EQ influence on the game

the graphics are quite a bit better, but they should be, EQ is 5-6 years older than WoW

Lag can still be a bitch and kill you
Dumbass groups can suck, and make you hate the game
great groups can make you love the game

FIghting seems more involved
rather than just hitting A, then backstab and evade occassionally, i'm busy trying to use my energy meter the most efficiently, to string together the largest combos i can

It's definately a more involved combat engine
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:19 am

There are still those who will come into your camp and steal your mobs.
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tacks » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:50 am

And people are exploiting the good loot...just like EQ!
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:44 am

Tikker wrote:no one's seen the endgame yet (other than the in house test team)

WOW is a lot like EQ

It's not a huge leap forward in gaming like a lot of people are hoping for
Some of the shit that sucked in EQ has been improved (tradeskills are actually useful from lvl1 )
but there's still a lot of EQ influence on the game

I'll probably purchase it but the fact it is similar to EQ, albeit more refined, makes me really cautious as to how long I'll play.

I've already done EQ. I have no desire to do it again unless the game is really worth the time and is that fun.

I wish more companies would have the balls to try new things, and not copy the same old level paradigm from Verant.
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:18 am

Taxx and I group together everynight. I have 2 other characters for whenI want to solo. It makes it alot more fun, except Taxx always knows everything, and can never admit when I am right :Rolleyes: Usually he is right about the game though. (Dont tell him I said that, dont want it going to his head)
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:54 am

I serioulsy hope no one really expected WoW to be more than an EQ clone with better graphics and streamlined gameplay...they ARE in the business of making money you know.

The most disturbing thing to me is the ease of solo-levelling. Sounds like every single class is an original EQ necro and can do way too much individually in terms of healing, mezzing, meleeing, what have you.

I'm mostly interested in seeing what Sigil has to offer atm.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:39 pm

Reynaldo wrote:I serioulsy hope no one really expected WoW to be more than an EQ clone with better graphics and streamlined gameplay...they ARE in the business of making money you know.

The most disturbing thing to me is the ease of solo-levelling. Sounds like every single class is an original EQ necro and can do way too much individually in terms of healing, mezzing, meleeing, what have you.

I'm mostly interested in seeing what Sigil has to offer atm.

I just read how MS cancelled their Xbox MMORPG, following their cancellation of Mythica earlier this year, so it appears they are putting all their Online RPG hopes on Sigil, too.

I get the feeling WOW will be EQ done right. EQ2 will be a combo of SWG/EQ, and Vanguard will be the real EQ 2.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tacks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:27 am

He's right about soloing. My rogue is 25 and has never been in a group....yes ROGUE you know, the class who cannot heal themselves.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Alphonso » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:22 pm

I feel that WoW is too easy(little down time, little need for groups) who the fuck wants to run around and slaughter everything with little to no risk?

To sum up my take on WoW- its like EQ with god mode on and tons of lag with computers that aren't high end. :cry:
Alphonso
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby labbats » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:12 pm

Look at it this way. WoW is getting Sony off their ass and onto fixing EQ.
labbats
Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed

Postby Jangos » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:04 pm

i went to the Jangolode mine and trained the fuck out of people.

*edit* i misspelled "and"
Jangos
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Tacks » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:06 pm

It's Jasperlode, and don't bump old threads, faggot.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jangos » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:15 pm

there is a jangolode mine you stupid shit
Jangos
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

PreviousNext

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions