More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Alliance race release

Postby Lyion » Wed May 10, 2006 6:28 am

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcr ... 785p1.html

Draenei Exile

Sooo... Horde gets Bad Elves...

Alliance gets Good Demons...
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 10, 2006 6:32 am

Horde isn't "evil".

Alliance isn't "good".

Jeez Lyion, still more partisan propaganda.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Wed May 10, 2006 6:40 am

Now I see the problem with discussing anything with Canadians, when they think Undead and Trolls are nice people to invite over for a spot of tea.

Anyways, this is a strange choice, and I'm curious how it'll play out.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 10, 2006 7:01 am

Typical alliance garbage. Just because of all the bad press the stranglethorn trolls get you think that applies to the darkspear trolls? They're a peace loving fishing community and you just tie all that racist bullshit to them.

Do we really want to get into the whole "night elves almost destroyed Azeroth" thing?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Wed May 10, 2006 7:07 am

The blood elves' practice of embracing demonic energies resulted in them being shunned by their former comrades in the Alliance. Thus, the remaining blood elves on Azeroth look desperately to the Horde

Bad elves. Not good. Bad. Bad.

What's armageddon, as long as its for a good cause. Talking to bad people though, we can't have that, thanks.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 10, 2006 7:24 am

Please, the only reason they got shunned in the first place is because of the alliances tight ass conservative values. The horde accepts people regardless of their faith.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Re: Alliance race release

Postby Maeya » Wed May 10, 2006 7:32 am

lyion wrote:http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcraft-expansion/705785p1.html

Draenei Exile

Sooo... Horde gets Bad Elves...

Alliance gets Good Demons...

:rolleyes:

I'm disappointd with their choice. Granted, I don't have any alternative suggestions for what would've been better, but I think this decision was lame.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Re: Alliance race release

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 10, 2006 7:41 am

Maeya wrote:Granted, I don't have any alternative suggestions for what would've been better, but I think this decision was lame.

I do.

Horde: Goblin

Alliance: High Elves

Done deal.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Wed May 10, 2006 7:53 am

Goblins would've been awesome, but Blizzard's suits wanted an 'attractive' horde race to appeal to the chiclets and mangina types who felt left out.

Although, I'm not sure what beats an undead chick with no jaw in bondage gear...

I don't get the alliance choice, but I guess they wanted something ugly for all the purdy alliance people, so in essence the reverse.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby calgone » Wed May 10, 2006 11:25 am

arthas destroyed blood elves energy well and demonic power was the only thing they had left for them. they were pretty much forced to do that to stay alive
calgone
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 10, 2006 11:28 am

calgone wrote:arthas destroyed blood elves energy well and demonic power was the only thing they had left for them. they were pretty much forced to do that to stay alive

Typical religious persecution from the xenophobic alliance.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Darcler » Wed May 10, 2006 11:34 am

Well they said that the new model was going to vaguely resemble the fat guy...so my guess is just a thin body with frumpy face features.

I dont want new races to come out. Soooo many alliance kiddies are going to switch to blood elves and flood our general chat with shit.

Hey Lyion, level my warrior up, I started on your server.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Lyion » Wed May 10, 2006 11:48 am

You've got my IM. Gid and you are welcome to use my dr00d also, when I'm not on him if you want to.

I want to level my Warlock Alt, too so we can group, too.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Wed May 10, 2006 11:56 am

I'm level 6. Bow to my leetness :rofl:
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby calgone » Wed May 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Zanchief wrote:
calgone wrote:arthas destroyed blood elves energy well and demonic power was the only thing they had left for them. they were pretty much forced to do that to stay alive

waht are u talking about? lol read the backround. they are innocent beings who got the short end of the stick from the scourge and alliance
calgone
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby mofish » Wed May 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Im loving my warlock. Hit 20 and got my succubus pet last night. That quest was a bitch by the way.
You were right Tikker. We suck.
mofish
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Wed May 10, 2006 1:49 pm

calgone wrote:
Zanchief wrote:

waht are u talking about? lol read the backround. they are innocent beings who got the short end of the stick from the scourge and alliance

That's what I'm saying. The alliance is persecuting the innocent elves. They only wanted to love and in come evil corporate azeroth, demonizing the little man.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby dammuzis » Wed May 10, 2006 8:03 pm

i wanted pandarens
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Shneider » Wed May 10, 2006 10:19 pm

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/sto ... er1.html#2
Over time, demonic entities made their way into the Titans' worlds from the Twisting Nether, and the Pantheon elected its greatest warrior, Sargeras, to act as its first line of defense. A noble giant of molten bronze, Sargeras carried out his duties for countless millennia, seeking out and destroying these demons wherever he could find them. Over the eons, Sargeras encountered two powerful demonic races, both of which were bent on gaining power and dominance over the physical universe.

The eredar, an insidious race of devilish sorcerers, used their warlock magics to invade and enslave a number of worlds. The indigenous races of those worlds were mutated by the eredar's malevolent powers and turned into demons themselves. Though Sargeras' nearly limitless powers were more than enough to defeat the vile eredar, he was greatly troubled by the creatures' corruption and all-consuming evil. Incapable of fathoming such depravity, the great Titan began to slip into a brooding depression. Despite his growing unease, Sargeras rid the universe of the warlocks by trapping them within a corner of the Twisting Nether.

In his fury, Sargeras shattered the prisons of the eredar and the Nathrezim and set the loathsome demons free. These cunning creatures bowed before the dark Titan's vast rage and offered to serve him in whatever malicious ways they could. From the ranks of the powerful Eredar, Sargeras picked two champions to command his demonic army of destruction. Kil'jaeden the Deceiver was chosen to seek out the darkest races in the universe and recruit them into Sargeras' ranks. The second champion, Archimonde the Defiler, was chosen to lead Sargeras' vast armies into battle against any who might resist the Titan's will.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningc ... aenei.html
Nearly twenty-five thousand years ago, the eredar race arose on the world of Argus. They were extremely intelligent and had a natural affinity for magic in all its myriad forms. Using their gifts, they developed a vast and wondrous society.

Unfortunately the eredar's accomplishments caught the attention of Sargeras, the Destroyer of Worlds. He had already begun his Burning Crusade to eradicate all life from the cosmos, and he believed that the brilliant eredar would be pivotal in leading the vast demonic army he was gathering. Thus, he contacted the eredar's three most prominent leaders: Kil'jaeden, Archimonde, and Velen. In exchange for the loyalty of the eredar race, Sargeras offered untold power and knowledge.

So, thel shamanistic draeni, descended from the evil Eredar and were really paladins, corrupted by Sargeras, found Jesus and happened to look exactly like the Eredar, except for the ones who didn't; and Sargeras was evil from day one? Brilliant.
Shneider
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby calgone » Thu May 11, 2006 8:26 am

they are going crazy about the lore inconsistency(spelling? lol) on the blizz forums. i wonder if they run with the dumb shit or rewrite it lol.
calgone
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby mofish » Thu May 11, 2006 12:56 pm

Yeah, the lore looks like it was written by me. When I was in 3rd grade.
You were right Tikker. We suck.
mofish
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Thu May 11, 2006 2:40 pm

mofish wrote:Yeah, the lore looks like it was written by me. When I was in 3rd grade.

Fits in well with the game then...
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Shneider » Mon May 15, 2006 5:54 pm

Take responsibility, then turning adversity into opportunity: market a new book!

/snippet

Hit #1: Lore Train-Wreck
Right To be totally up-front with you guys, it's my bad, straight up. The obvious lore contradiction with Sargeras and his encounter with the eredar was clearly documented in the Warcraft III manual. I wrote those bits about four years ago, and to be totally honest, I simply forgot. Genius, right? With my excitement to get the draenei up to speed and root them more firmly in the setting, I forgot to do my homework and go back over my earlier writing. I can assure you, no ones more crushed about this mistake than I am. Ive spent the last few days kicking my own ass over this one. Sucks to fail. It may not always be evident, but we take this story stuff really seriously at Blizzard. It's been one of my personal missions at this company to maintain a high level of integrity throughout the Warcraft game setting (all of them, actually) and I think weve done a pretty decent job of upholding the continuity over the years.

I think it's important to note that world building is far bigger than just storytelling, and it requires (in my humble opinion) a certain amount of flexibility. Sometimes you need to expand certain ideas or retcon whole sections of continuity to broaden the scope and accessibility of your setting. There are a good number of these types of situations already (like totally revising our timeline, suggesting trolls were the progenitors of all elven subspecies, etc. there's a hundred other examples). To make an omelet, ya need to break a few eggs, and WoWs one big omelet.

The trouble is, this has become a pretty big setting. There are literally thousands of characters, hundreds of locations, and all sorts of creatures, items, and plot themes that all define this world. As you can imagine, it's a lot to police. Sometimes things do fall through the cracks, mistakes get made and were forced to scramble to come up with clever solutions to continuity errors. (Hakkar, anyone? ). You not only have me jamming ideas, but a ninja team of quest designers, an army of freelance RPG writers, and a commando squad of red-hot novelists who are all involved in fleshing out the lore and making it more than just wallpaper on a game.

I'm explaining all this not to excuse this particular mistake, but to give you some understanding of how the mistake was made. I've read a fair amount of posts over the past few days and I know theres a lot of confusion and frustration surrounding the whole eredar/draenei train wreck. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. At the end of the day, we're all just a bunch of geeky fanboys and fangirls, and we all get pretty fired up when people start screwing with the worlds we love. If anything, all of the venting and creative suggestions Ive seen over the past few days have reinforced for me the fact that you guys really do care about this world and its troubled denizens.

While I can't promise that these types of mistakes will never happen again, I do want to state clearly that we take the responsibility of crafting and maintaining this lore very seriously. You all pay good money to adventure through this world month by month, and you deserve the best we can give.

Dont lose faith well do ya proud!
Shneider
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Donnel » Tue May 23, 2006 8:13 am

Wow, nice post.
<a href="http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?384300">Treston</a>
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions