World of Warcraft passes 50% total market share

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:44 am

Once again a profound rebuttal by the great Naethyn9.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Naethyn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:08 am

Just wanted to make sure you knew i was laughing at your statement. I'll leave it at that.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:11 am

Great, thanks for contributing nothing.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Naethyn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:14 am

lol
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:51 am

Troll
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Donnel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:10 am

No, I R Orc.
<a href="http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?384300">Treston</a>
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:46 am

Donnel wrote:No, I R Orc.
:rofl:
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:21 pm

Naethyn9 wrote:
Ginzburgh wrote:Tikker, let me know when you get on Cthun and then we'll have a discussion about it.

So the risks of dying in wow are only great if your a cool guy?

Yup, for 99% of the population, death in WOW is trivial. Thus, proving my point. Remember dying running somewhere in early EQ? Yo, that sucked. Remember dying somewhere in WOW early? Yo, that was 30 seconds lost. What's the word I'm looking for? Ah, yes. TRIVIAL!

For the kewldude uberpeople like Ginz that are yohardcore~ it's hard, they actually have to spend 3/4 of cash they made at the raid to repair there armor. I'm in full Cenarion/Stormrage and I pay 20 gold on bad raid days, especially when the B team shows up. It's still trrriiiivvviial.

Annnd.. Arlos will back me up, as none of his repair or things even come out of his own pocket. Such a penalty.. What is it, that's right, nothing!

By contrast death and wipeouts in early EQ sucked. Corpse recoveries sucked. Probability of losing corpses sucked. Thus, not trivial. Real difficulties! Current EQ? Evidently, it's pretty trivial, too.

Death

in

WOW

is

L
A
I
V
I
R
TRIVIAL
R
I
V
I
A
L
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Donnel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:22 pm

Yep, death is trivial.

Why is that bad though?
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Lyion is having a bad day.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Donnel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:24 pm

Zanchief wrote:Lyion is having a bad hair day.

Yeah you are right, I mean look at his avatar!
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:27 pm

For the kewldude uberpeople like Ginz that are yohardcore~ it's hard, they actually have to spend 3/4 of cash they made at the raid to repair there armor.

Oh so you must know something I don't. When my guild throws themselves at Cthun 20 times in a row, usually zero gold is accumulated because we didn't kill anything. So you're wrong.

I'm not arguing that WoW death is = to death in EQ, I'm arguing that WoW death isn't trivial like you say it is.

And I don't give a fuck about lower levels.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:27 pm

Donnel wrote:Yep, death is trivial.

Why is that bad though?

It's not. It's part of the design document. Six million subscribers say it's a good idea. However, the points Tik made in regards to the level of skill higher level people have is valid, IMO.

No soup for you today, Zanchief!
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:31 pm

lyion wrote:No soup for you today, Zanchief!

Just because of that I'm gonna have soup for dinner tonight.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:32 pm

By contrast death and wipeouts in early EQ sucked. Corpse recoveries sucked. Probability of losing corpses sucked.

Once again, Lyion ignores the fact that the only people who had those penalties were those in sucky guilds, like the ones he was in.

No one in LOS ever lost a corpse, ever, and there was no POSSIBILITY of them doing so, much less "probability". Our wipeouts were almost always recovered in less than 20 minutes, regardless of location, including deep in NTOV, etc. SMART guilds would bring an extra rez-capable character and camp them out at fight points. Wipe? Oh no, the horror, you log the person in, rez a rezzer or 3, start up again. Sorry your guilds never clued into that tactic. EVERY zone had a safe spot you could get corpses to and rez up, period. Wipes weren't more than just an annoyance, corpse recoveries were trivial too.

So, sorry, because LOS was an actual competant guild, we had trivial death penalties in EQ as well, as far back as Kunark. That's right, T R I V I A L.

Sorry you played in such awful guilds that your death penalty wasn't trivial. That's not my fault, nor WoW's fault.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:34 pm

It's not. It's part of the design document. Six million subscribers say it's a good idea. However, the points Tik made in regards to the level of skill higher level people have is valid, IMO.

No soup for you today, Zanchief!

And I guess you didn't read my post.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:39 pm

To play devils advocate. I was in Lyion's guild for a long time and we never lost a corpse, atleast not one that I remember. I did get a dupped corpse on a hate raid though, so that puts our looted corpse ratio at +1.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:43 pm

I was in Lyion's guild and he fucked me on my ES breastplate.

Ginzburgh said: "Hey man, are you guys going to award that BP, looks like I am the only one that can use it"

Kyojitsu said: "Sorry man, we need more mana robes so we're going to sell it, if I gave it to you Fell would kill me"

...and I think you all know the rest of that little chestnut.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:45 pm

Your posts prove death in WOW is completely meaningless, Arlos. Nice attempt to spin, but it doesn't work. You don't lose exp in WOW. You yourself don't lose anything currently from raiding because your guild 100% subsidizes you. Please explain what about WOWs deaths are anything but trivial when its apparent you've NEVER lost almost anything?

Your analogy about EQ is completely off topic and misses the point, but oh well. I guess your world encompasses just you.

If death in WOW is easy and meaningless for 99.999% of the user base, almost everyone would classify it as trivial?

You keep referencing LOS, yet the only two other LOS posters in this thread disagreed with you and have corrected you.

p.s. death in wow is still trivial.
Last edited by Lyion on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Naethyn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:46 pm

The life of a cool guy must be so hard.
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:51 pm

You yourself don't lose anything currently from raiding because your guild 100% subsidizes you.

And you must be talking to Arlos because the only thing my guild gives me is potions. There is zero cash for repair cost, we are responsible for that burden on our own.

I don't understand what you are not getting here Lyion:

If you have roughly 50-100 gold in repair costs per week, how is that trivial? Do you understand the definition of the term trivial?

lacking in seriousness, importance, significance, or value

If death was trivial, than I wouldn't have repair costs. If I paid no attention to repair costs, I wouldn't be able to play because all my gear would be broken. So how is death trivial?

I think you should stop using the word trivial and start using the phrase "not as bad as Everquest". That would make more sense considering you compare EVERY mmo ever made to a game that lost it's luster five years ago.

It's over, let it go.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:52 pm

The life of a cool guy must be so hard.

lol

It's the troll again!
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:00 pm

Which is why I started the paragraph's opening sentence with that nice word "Arlos". if I had meant you, I would've said 'pussy Taxx 2.0 loot whiner wannabe'

Trivial is perfect. Death isn't important or serious. Heck, you yourself admit you die 20 times in a night, correct? How serious is it when you can die that much?

How often did you die levelling in WOW? Did death ever cause you issues before serious raiding, Ginz? Did death ever slow down your levelling or most of the other game for you?

The proper analogy to me is RAIDING and ENDGAME requires strategy and has consequences. C'thun is tough. No doubt.

However, when you can die more often than Kenny from South park on a raid night and not have any ill effects the next day, I'll stand by my statement death isn't a big deal in WOW. It certainly scales based on gear, but if you're dying that much, I suggest putting on some older cheap gear and dropping your costs.

Heck, go naked with a few cheap daggers.

Both Arlos and you play easy mode for raiding by going alliance anyways.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:01 pm

lyion wrote:Both Arlos and you play easy mode for raiding by going alliance anyways.

oh no you didn't
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:05 pm

However, when you can die more often than Kenny from South park on a raid night and not have any ill effects the next day, I'll stand by my statement death isn't a big deal in WOW. It certainly scales based on gear, but if you're dying that much, I suggest putting on some older cheap gear and dropping your costs.

Heck, go naked with a few cheap daggers.

Both Arlos and you play easy mode for raiding by going alliance anyways.

This paragraph proves that you have no idea what you are talking about. So I will just stop now rather than continuing on with a pointless debate. It's like arguing why one film is better than another when the person you are debating with has only seen one of the films in question.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions