World of Warcraft passes 50% total market share

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

World of Warcraft passes 50% total market share

Postby Arlos » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:09 am

Yes, that's right, if you look at the ENTIRE MMOG marketplace, HALF of the paying subscribers are playing WoW.

From: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060601-6964.html
World of Warcraft passes 50 percent market share

6/1/2006 3:00:33 PM, by Jeremy Reimer

Multiplayer online role-playing games started back in the days of mainframes, text-based terminals, and Multi-User Dungeons, or MUDs. It was not until the rise of both the personal computer and the Internet that these adventures moved forward into a graphical world. Early experiments such as LucasArts' Habitat, released in 1985 on the Commodore 64, showed some of the difficulties involved in bringing a large number of players into the same online world. Issues such as player-versus-player killing, bug exploits, and the fact that players would blast through new content much faster than the developers could create it, became standard problems that each online game developer would have to solve.

With each new technological advance, the population of online worlds increased. 3DO's Meridian 59 (1996) passed the 50,000 subscriber mark, and Richard Garriott's Ultima Online (1997) reached the 250,000 subscriber threshold in six years. Sony's EverQuest (1999) would double those numbers.

The big surprise, however, was Blizzard's World of Warcraft, released in 2004. It quickly surpassed all its rivals in subscriptions, passing the six million mark in February of this year. Now, according to the web site MMOGCHART.com, it has hit a new milestone by moving past the 50 percent mark for market share of massively multiplayer online games.

How did the game get to be so popular? It's hard to pin the answer down to any one thing, but Blizzard has certainly been the most successful at figuring out what people like about the genre and then broadening this appeal to include as many players as possible. One innovation that Blizzard brought to the game was the idea of "rest time," where more casual players can gain experience faster after being away from the game for a few days. Another thing that Blizzard does well is handling small details: the game has, for example, the best-looking "mini-icons" (used to indicate items in your inventory) of any game that I've seen, and the various armor sets are beautifully detailed. The more imaginative art styles used in the game, as compared to competitors like Everquest II have also been cited as a factor.

But will Blizzard be able to keep up this dominance of the market? One problem that all online role-playing games face is that the casual player will eventually run out of content. I've experienced this myself after hitting the level 60 cap in WoW and not feeling particularly compelled to participate in large raids or grind player-versus-player combat. Could a developer figure out a way to get past this problem? Richard Garriott, who created the original Ultima, Ultima Online, and now is working on a new game called Tabula Rasa with partners NCSoft (makers of the Lineage games, which currently hold the #2 and #3 spots behind WoW in terms of subscribers), thinks he can:

Lineage did something that turned out to be much smarter. They released episodes. The episodes are really the same live team development, but just packaged as an episode. What they'll do is that they'll hold it back. Instead of saying, today there are new trashcans, tomorrow there’s tables, and after that new swords, which everybody thinks is cool, but by the time they see the new sword pretty much everybody else has already seen it too. Statistically, half the people will see every new thing before you.

But if you save it all up as an episode and you release the whole three months worth of work all at once, everybody knows it's coming, everyone gets a chance to get in there, everybody gets excited about it and not only get in themselves, but they also bring new friends who have never played. At that point, we can see that the usage and the sales of the game go up in a big spike, every one of these episodes.

While Blizzard works on the expansion for WoW, Garriott is hoping that games like Tabula Rasa and others will move the genre forward in new directions. Whether or not the next generation of massively multiplayer online games will be able to challenge Blizzard's supremacy remains to be seen.

Here's the pie chart of all MMOs, by % of total subscriptions.

and here's a line graph of raw #s of subscribers:

Nutty stuff.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Captain Insano » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:40 am

thats pretty impressive. I had no idea EQ made up such a small market these days.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:13 am

Well, it may actually be worse than those charts and graphs show for EQ/EQ2. SOE hasn't released any subscriber information for the past 12 months. All indications, from what I understand, is that subscription numbers are lower now than they were then.

The growth curve for WoW is absolutely insane. In just their first year, they went from startup to 5.5 MILLION subscribers. It's hard data like that that truly illustrates how they could've been caught flat-footed regarding the server issues. I bet if you took those charts and went back in time to 1 year before release to a meeting with Blizzard's top brass and showed them the charts, you'd have been laughed out of the room as being unrealistically optimistic. Even Lineage, which was the most successful MMO in history before WoW showed up, took > 3 years to get to near-3 million.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:45 am

SOE's information is outdated by years. This chart is pretty much worthless.

NCSofts numbers are mostly a guess as well.

Runescape does not have 5% of the market share, also.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:01 am

I'm seriously pissed off that no new game is going to come out to compete with that shitfest anytime soon.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:09 am

Harrison wrote:I'm seriously pissed off that no new game is going to come out to compete with that shitfest anytime soon.

I don't see it that way.

Even though it’s completely dominating the market right now, it is bringing in new people into the genre. People will quit, and people will move on to other games. What it's really doing is marketing the genre to millions of new people.

If a revolutionary new game comes out, people will play it, but right now, WoW is the best thing on the market.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:31 am

I think one huge reason WoW has made it so big is that it actually plays like an actual normal computer game in many aspects. EQ, if you wanted to progress, you had to make it an actual hobby; you had to dedicate major time blocks to it at one stretch, etc. The average person out there who isn't a hardcore gamer won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. They want something they can plunk down in front of for half an hour to kill some time before they get up to go plant themselves in front of the TV and watch Survivor and its clones for 4 hours.

Single player games let you do that. You fire it up, go do some shit, save, shut it down, leave. WoW lets you do the same thing: log in, run out there, do a quick quest, solo a few mobs, gate back to town, log out. But WoW also gives them something that the single player games don't, the chance for actual social networking while they're spending their half hour screwing around. EQ, or the other 1st gen MMOs for that matter, didn't let you do that, and that's why their subscription numbers were nowhere near what WoW's are.

Yeah, for hardcore gamers, the lower levels may seem over-simplified. But that's because you're not the person they're aimed at. The complexity is in the raid encounters, actually including the 20-mans in ZG and AQ20. You never even got close to doing any of those, Fin, which is why you enver found any of that complexity and depth. Speaking as someone who really did EQ cutting edge raiding, and for a long time, I can honestly say that the top-end raids, especially the ones in AQ40, are MUCH more intricate and require vastly more strategy work and coordination than anything I ever encountered in EQ from release up through PoP.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:08 am

WOW also benefits from a great reputation, a time where high speed is nearly ubiqutious, and a great marketing campaign and internet word of mouth. If WOW were released in 99, it'd be much smaller simply because Internet access has grown by leaps and bounts in the last 7 years.

The game has nothing new for the MMO genre. What it does have is the best packaging and design document remedying the ills of other games and appealing to the largest mass, which is not the hardcore gamer types.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Captain Insano » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:26 pm

While I have knocked WoW, compared to the competition and considering the timeframe it has been out, they have done a pretty top notch job of managing growth and keeping the game stable.

These companies like Sigil who think they can rush a half-assed product to market are in for a rude awakening IMO. This genre has no room anymore for unfinished garbage, thanks to games like WoW.

While there are many things I don't care for in WoW I think they have done a lot of good in forcing this industry to mature and have set a certain bar that other companies will now be forced to meet if they want a piece of the pie.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Menlaan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:39 pm

Hasselhoff wrote:These companies like Sigil who think they can rush a half-assed product to market are in for a rude awakening IMO. This genre has no room anymore for unfinished garbage, thanks to games like WoW.

You are aware that they have delayed the VG launch, right? What makes you think they're 'rushing' it? In one thread you say that it's screwed b/c they're in redesign mode, and in this one you say they're screwed b/c they're rushing it to market. Make up your mind.
Menlaan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:46 pm

Sigil screwed up by essentially repeating the mistakes Mythic made with Dark Age of Camelot.

Their direction is coming from message board/user feedback, versus a high level gamer design document that has the big picture in mind.

Once Mythic <and now Sigil> started down this path, it wrecked their prospective games.

The best thing Sigil could do is throw out what the users are saying and to have one person running the show with the big picture in mind...
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Menlaan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:55 pm

lyion wrote:Sigil screwed up by essentially repeating the mistakes Mythic made with Dark Age of Camelot.

Their direction is coming from message board/user feedback, versus a high level gamer design document that has the big picture in mind.

Once Mythic <and now Sigil> started down this path, it wrecked their prospective games.

The best thing Sigil could do is throw out what the users are saying and to have one person running the show with the big picture in mind...

Sorry for the derail on this, but this is completely the opposite from what most critics were saying one month ago. Most were saying that the game was screwed because Brad wouldn't listen to anyone but himself. Now that they're regularly soliciting feedback, people are saying they're screwed b/c they lack a vision.

I think the VG bashing has gone too far. Indications are that Beta is much improved from a couple of months ago. Most reviewers loved what they saw at E3 (the code of which is in Beta now). Personally, I'm in a wait and see mode.
Menlaan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Griever » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 pm

I don't see Guild Wars on that chart.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:58 pm

Because you don't pay a subscription to GW
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Naethyn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:03 pm

Menlaan wrote:
lyion wrote:Sigil screwed up by essentially repeating the mistakes Mythic made with Dark Age of Camelot.

Sorry for the derail on this, but this is completely the opposite from what most critics were saying one month ago. Most were saying that the game was screwed because Brad wouldn't listen to anyone but himself. Now that they're regularly soliciting feedback, people are saying they're screwed b/c they lack a vision.

I think the VG bashing has gone too far. Indications are that Beta is much improved from a couple of months ago. Most reviewers loved what they saw at E3 (the code of which is in Beta now). Personally, I'm in a wait and see mode.

I agree. A beta was released that was to lagged to play even on the most high end systems. Since then it has greatly improved and the game owns.
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:12 pm

erm

no, it still doesn't own

that being said

WoW has a beautiful interface

any game coming along has to run as smoothly as WoW, or it will never gain any kind of acceptance (I've never played a game that was so dual-monitor friendly in my life)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Naethyn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:13 pm

have you played it?
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:32 pm

yup
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Naethyn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:37 pm

gratz
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Captain Insano » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Menlaan wrote:
Hasselhoff wrote:These companies like Sigil who think they can rush a half-assed product to market are in for a rude awakening IMO. This genre has no room anymore for unfinished garbage, thanks to games like WoW.

You are aware that they have delayed the VG launch, right? What makes you think they're 'rushing' it? In one thread you say that it's screwed b/c they're in redesign mode, and in this one you say they're screwed b/c they're rushing it to market. Make up your mind.

They, as in the designers of the game, have said flat out that it will be coming out with many of the zones to be virtually devoid of content. That is unfinished. To add insult to injury, they have also been polling their beta-playerbase regarding core mechanics that haven't even been finalized after four and half years of development.

Open your fucking eyes. What do you think that this game that doesn't even have a foundation yet is somehow going to turn the entire thing around after four and a half years and deliver a polished product? Get real. Sony is going to want a return on their investment and will force Brad and crew to launch what they have in a half assed state and start generating revenue and it will be a pay for patch game just like EQ was in its first couple of years.

Darcler:

Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Captain Insano » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:41 pm

Naethyn9 wrote:gratz

shut your smarmy mouth lest I punch your face.

Darcler:

Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Menlaan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:44 pm

Hasselhoff wrote:They, as in the designers of the game, have said flat out that it will be coming out with many of the zones to be virtually devoid of content. That is unfinished.

Yeah? Provide a reference.

PS. they don't have 'zones'
Menlaan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:00 pm

eh, they have zones exactly like WOW has zones
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:42 pm

arlos wrote:I think one huge reason WoW has made it so big is that it actually plays like an actual normal computer game in many aspects. EQ, if you wanted to progress, you had to make it an actual hobby; you had to dedicate major time blocks to it at one stretch, etc. The average person out there who isn't a hardcore gamer won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. They want something they can plunk down in front of for half an hour to kill some time before they get up to go plant themselves in front of the TV and watch Survivor and its clones for 4 hours.

Single player games let you do that. You fire it up, go do some shit, save, shut it down, leave. WoW lets you do the same thing: log in, run out there, do a quick quest, solo a few mobs, gate back to town, log out. But WoW also gives them something that the single player games don't, the chance for actual social networking while they're spending their half hour screwing around. EQ, or the other 1st gen MMOs for that matter, didn't let you do that, and that's why their subscription numbers were nowhere near what WoW's are.

Yeah, for hardcore gamers, the lower levels may seem over-simplified. But that's because you're not the person they're aimed at. The complexity is in the raid encounters, actually including the 20-mans in ZG and AQ20. You never even got close to doing any of those, Fin, which is why you enver found any of that complexity and depth. Speaking as someone who really did EQ cutting edge raiding, and for a long time, I can honestly say that the top-end raids, especially the ones in AQ40, are MUCH more intricate and require vastly more strategy work and coordination than anything I ever encountered in EQ from release up through PoP.

-Arlos

I seriously doubt WoW encounters are harder than EQ encounters. The fact that you're referencing PoP era content makes your arguement really weak. Maybe since you've apparently done high end WoW, we should compare what we consider to be the longest, most challenging encounter :p

Also I personally attribute WoW's success to its history. Every single MMORPG (except SWG) ever released has been original material. Everybody in the world loves or has played Warcraft 2. Everyone already knows about this fantasy universe, so it's like playing a medieval fantasy game with people you already know about. If someone made an LOTR MMORPG, like how someone made an extremely successful MUD out of it (shadows of isildur), it would probably get more people than WoW in the end. People that don't care much about games don't care much about how a game works, as long as it's fun. I really doubt when an MMO newbie is deciding on a new game that he's concerned with how the UI looks and how many game mechanics it has... it's more about subject material, aesthetics, and what game their friends are playing, since that's probably why they're getting into MMOs in the first place.

SWG just sucks in every single way, so nobody plays it.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tuggan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:47 pm

ive never even heard of lineage, that a chink game or something?
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Next

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions