Horde Blood Elf Paladins

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Horde Blood Elf Paladins

Postby Naethyn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:30 pm

Blizzard Entertainment has revealed a very significant development that will accompany its upcoming World of Warcraft expansion pack, The Burning Crusade. Blizzard has also outlined the reasoning for the changes, which are founded in the game's fantasy lore.

As announced previously, the expansion will add two new playable races, the Alliance's pale-skinned Draenai and the Horde's Blood Elves, who originally appeared in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. The additional lore that Blizzard has released explains how key characters from each race's past have affected their societies--and these effects will translate into a considerable shift in gameplay.

Specifically, a key figure from the Draenei's past, the priest Nobundo, apparently drew inspiration from the vision of one of his race's noble leaders. According to the Warcraft universe's lore, the Draenei suffered attacks by the orcs. Some, like Nobundo, fled, and abandoned their priesthood to study the primal forces of nature in Outland, the new otherworldly realm that is part of the expansion pack.

Likewise, the cruel Blood Elves will find new opportunities, thanks to their forebears, including the fanatical Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider and the wizard Astalor Bloodsworn. These key figures used a captured Naaru, one of the ethereal beings that infused the Draenei with "the Light"--the Warcraft universe's version of priestly power that infuses priests and paladins--and conducted various magical experiments on it. As a result, the Blood Elves were able to manipulate the creature's essence so that the fanatical warriors of their own ranks, known as the Blood Knights, were able to wield the same sort of holy power.

So what does all this background mean in terms of gameplay? Simply put: In The Burning Crusade, Alliance players can play as Draenei shamans, while Horde players can play as Blood Elf paladins. Previously, players on either side weren't able to access those character classes; paladins were exclusive to the Alliance, while shamans were exclusive to the Horde. According to Blizzard, Horde paladins and Alliance shamans will have many of the same talents of their traditional counterparts, though they "will also enjoy some unique abilities to themselves, similar to the priest class' racial specialties." Since this new feature will fundamentally change the asymmetry between the game's two factions, it will presumably have a significant impact on the way the game is played, especially in competitive player-versus-player combat.

The Burning Crusade is the highly anticipated expansion pack for Blizzard Entertainment's critically acclaimed 2004 massively multiplayer role-playing game, World of Warcraft. Blizzard hasn't confirmed a final release date for the expansion, though representatives have suggested that the studio is aiming to release it this year. For more information, consult GameSpot's previous coverage.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154421.ht ... bj=6154421

I guess they wanted to stop all the bitching about one side having more of an advantage than the other, but Im not sure this is the answer.
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:34 pm

I don't know what I think of this.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Hrm, was going to call bullshit, but apparently blizzard DID Just announce it.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningc ... combo.html

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:50 pm

I always thought it would be cool if they did a GM event like they did in EQ and awarded one account to play Paladin (or Shaman). Would make for some cool server history and what not.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Gaazy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:00 pm

yeah Zan thats a pretty cool idea
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Arlos » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:09 pm

OK, some thoughts on this:

90% of Shamen are going to spec away from support roles, and into elemental or enhancement. Since paladins are better support anyway, having them available on horde side means that shamen are now freed up to go for either a ranged DPS role or for a melee DPS role.

I mean, how much melee DPS could a full-enhancement shaman crank out with, say, Dark Edge of Insanity, combined with a ton of the +AP and +Crit mail that's available out there, combined with his Windfury Weapon self-buff? I know Mastruss, paladin, with DEoI and pure crit/ap gear can sometimes crack CM's top-10 DPS list. It's pretty universally accepted that full enhancement shamen can out-melee-DPS Paladins right this minute, given equivalent gear, now give that shaman Blessing of Might and watch that gap widen. How much ranged DPS could a elemental shaman put out with max upgrades to lightning, plus the occasional shock? You don't need to be restoration spec to get perfectly good utility totems: windfury, grace of air, grounding, poison cleansing, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, I'm sure there'll still be 1-2 resto shamen because their players like that style, just like there are paladins who love being a pure healbot with no offensive capabilities. Imagine a group of 4 priests + shaman and how much their mana situation would improve when you combine BOW with Mana Tide.

One other upshot of this is that paladins are now going to be even further marginalized into pure support and nothing else, which pisses me the fuck off. I didn't play this class so that I could stand in the back with the dress wearers and play whack-a-mole with people's health bars in CT_RaidAssist and spam click decursive.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Captain Insano » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:22 pm

I don't really like this, but it needed to be done.

The difference Paladin's make in the PVE end game is HUGE. The fact that the alliance has access to this class is probably the single greatest reason for an the large imbalance between the two factions present on almost every server in the game.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Naethyn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:54 pm

Zanchief wrote:I always thought it would be cool if they did a GM event like they did in EQ and awarded one account to play Paladin (or Shaman). Would make for some cool server history and what not.

There was a gm event in eq like that? explain
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Naethyn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:57 pm

All in all I dont like the classes available in WoW. Thats a bold statement, but each one falls short or stepped over what I think that class' role should be.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Lyion » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:23 pm

More choices = better for the game.

I wish they'd add another two classes for even more variety.

I like it, although it isnt really anything new.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Captain Insano » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:40 pm

They need a monk-type class. and a pirate/swashbuckler class.

I think there is room for a battle mage and shadow knight class too.

More games need battle mages... a warrior that can make shit explode would be tits.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:18 pm

bleh

tank mages in UO sucked

so overpowered, jeje
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:20 pm

lyion wrote:More choices = better for the game.

I wish they'd add another two classes for even more variety.

I like it, although it isnt really anything new.

fucking shadowknights

NOW
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:25 pm

they should have made this change a while ago

now there's really not much excuse for either side(other than maybe some of the racials)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Captain Insano » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:20 pm

yah I'm glad they are doing it... the fucking whining can finally cease.

Darcler:

Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Darcler » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Captain Insano wrote:yah I'm glad they are doing it... the fucking whining can finally cease.

It wont.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:28 am

There's gonna be SOOOO many bloodelf paladins being made as soon as the expansion comes out. You'll see instances being done with 5 pallys.
Last edited by Zanchief on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Naethyn » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:37 am

And it will take x2 as long...
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby 10sun » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:02 am

This will piss off Horde Warriors.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Donnel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:04 am

and alliance hunters post 40.

Good.
<a href="http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?384300">Treston</a>
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Naethyn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:17 pm

I must say it was pretty sweet playing a hunter on alliance and getting rights to all the mail.
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:14 pm

there was hardly ever any competition between hunter and shaman when I played

it was more so hunter and rogue, cause the stat bonus's both wanted were almost the same
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Captain Insano » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:19 pm

I hear at 60 Fury Warriors are actually more DPS than any other class...

Anyone care to debate this? I was hoping it was rog's... Thats why I played one.

Darcler:

Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:24 pm

depends on the gear of course

if i'm on my top game i can finish top 3 on the damage meter for an MC clear

but that's with sharpening stones, mongoose pots, and strength pots..

without all that stuff i usually land somewhere in the 6-8 range
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Naethyn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:25 pm

I will TOTALLY back that statement. Our guild has a war named Antsy with a Ashkandi and 50% crit raid buffed. She consistently out dps' everyone every single raid.
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Next

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions