Coincidence?

Postby Granh » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:15 am

I think not
Kitty Litter for the Mind
Granh
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tikker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:21 am

if you haven't caught on by now that they're "borrowing" from EQ and LoS/nameless lore you need some help

ps, malown's slam still makes me giggle
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:25 am

Tikker wrote:if you haven't caught on by now that they're "borrowing" from EQ and LoS/nameless lore you need some help

You misspelled improving.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:26 am

I thought I was just being nice and not saying stealing
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:27 am

Just like EQ did in the 1st place. Only WoW stole better.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:29 am

mechanically, graphically WOW is light years ahead of all the other games out there

it was just not quite the right game for me, personally

it just needs more of a mechanic to make the faction interact imo
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Myg0t » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:19 pm

Zanchief wrote:
Tikker wrote:if you haven't caught on by now that they're "borrowing" from EQ and LoS/nameless lore you need some help

I lawled
Captain_Insano wrote: It's also Abraham Lincoln's fault for freeing the slaves. Had he been shot earlier black people wouldn't have email accounts and internet access.
Myg0t
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Lyion » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:25 pm

Zanchief wrote:

Must be why you're still playing, Zan.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:36 pm

I'm still playing on Malfurion, smartass.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Captain Insano » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:47 pm

Tikker wrote:mechanically, graphically WOW is light years ahead of all the other games out there

it was just not quite the right game for me, personally

it just needs more of a mechanic to make the faction interact imo

even I have to admit after knocking it for the longest time the game is very much improved.

The Gates of AQ, from what I hear are kickass, and I love the implementation of the BG's and the overall world PVP.

I can't even think of playing slow ass EQ again.

What they still need is more classes and greater character development, which I hope will be solved with the expansion this winter and the hero classes.

So far (knock on wood) the servers have been pretty stable. Lethon has gone down twice, once for like a few hours and then again for half a day.

Not too bad really. The damn login queue and server issues back last winter are what finally convinced me to quit.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:52 pm

10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tikker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:03 pm

for me it was just the simplicity, and gaggle of retards that were able to make it to max lvl
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:05 pm

10sun wrote:Log in que + flightpaths = no thanks.

What's wrong with flighpaths?

Plus most servers don't have queus.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby 10sun » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:15 pm

flightpaths take up to 15 minutes port plz thx
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Donnel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:17 pm

Is that because they are bugged? I don't get it?
<a href="http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?384300">Treston</a>
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:25 pm

10sun wrote:flightpaths take up to 15 minutes port plz thx

15 minutes? It's like 2 to 3 minutes. But I guess when you're used to the faced paced never quit action of EQ those 2 minutes do seem like an eternity.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby 10sun » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:15 pm

Zanchief wrote:

15 minutes? It's like 2 to 3 minutes. But I guess when you're used to the faced paced never quit action of EQ those 2 minutes do seem like an eternity.

Could have been. But between the flightpaths and zepplins, travel just took too damn long.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Captain Insano » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Zanchief wrote:

hahah no shit. I can smoke half a cigarette and I'll be at ANY destination.

But oh no EQ, looking for some jewish druid or a fucking stingy wizard takes less time? I think not.

Don't get me wrong, EQ was a kickass game for the longest time, but even argueing that anything in that game is faster than WoW is just stupid.

Even to grind a few AA's requires being logged on for 3+ hours.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Captain Insano wrote:
Zanchief wrote:

hahah no shit. I can smoke half a cigarette and I'll be at ANY destination.

But oh no EQ, looking for some jewish druid or a fucking stingy wizard takes less time? I think not.

Don't get me wrong, EQ was a kickass game for the longest time, but even argueing that anything in that game is faster than WoW is just stupid.

Even to grind a few AA's requires being logged on for 3+ hours.

I guess I am biased because I played a druid in EQ and a warrior in WoW, but it seemed that doing anything in WoW took much longer because I had to run everywhere, whereas in EQ I was traveling at bard speed all the time after porting just about anywhere I needed to go.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Captain Insano » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:29 pm

I'll give you the ground travel thing.

In relation to the world around you it seems like the toons move waaay too slow. I think sprint speed would should be the normal running speed in WoW.

i think the current system of flightpaths are very well done for mass transit.

One reason I really like them over ports/TL's is they force player interaction. The placement of the cities and the FP masters really pits the horde versus alliance and creates a lot of interesting friction/pvp/ganking etc.

Darcler:

Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:50 pm

WOW is both very, very simple, but with massive endgame timesinks to satisfy the most ardent wannabe MMO l337d00d. That's why it is what it is. That and it's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.

EQ has half of this equation down, which is its problem. There is no room for starting a new character in EQ, without a guild. It's easy to start in WOW, especially with new servers rolling out periodically and many others of vast different playstyles on those servers. Also, WOW seems to be run by gamers. EQ is run by suits who don't get it.

I'm personally looking for something different that does more than either. I don't see a better or new paradigm of MMO anytime soon, so I'll stick with WOW. With many breaks for boredom.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:53 pm

I don't even wanna get into whatever about what game's harder or this or that. EQ's game mechanics make it a longer game to get a good char... specially nowadays when you're required to have 500 AA to apply to some random guild you've never heard of. WoW tries to be like a single player game that's multiplayer only while EQ tries to be AD&D / MUDs realised in 3D. totally depends on what you want. quicker gratification and pretty graphics or a detailed investment where the visuals become basically your last concern
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:59 pm

Thats the problem Drem. WOW has both instant gratification and the detailed investment portion.

Also, WOW is fresh and there are many people starting new, and new servers being opened frequently.

Outside of the progression server, when was the last EQ server opened? EQ is not friendly to new players. Heck, EQ2 is barely friendly.

I do agree it's closer to AD&D/Diku MUD.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 pm

EQ can be fine for people just starting out. It's the people that are just starting out that want to be really badass like all their friends that it isn't so friendly to. I think if me and a friend started two chars on a random server we'd have plenty of fun. It's pretty easy to suspended disbelief the high end EQ game away and that leaves you with a really wide open game with a lot of quests, a lot of ground to cover, and an essentially empty playing field to work with.

I did it once a couple years ago with shadowmare and it was good. We got to level 20 and found our own armor etc. etc.. exactly like everyone's doing on the progression server... that's my biggest thing with people bitching about it. If you just take it and enjoy it, it's got so much to offer for all types of players. But if you want to be a big tough badass like we all were back in the day you can't do it by just fucking around. You have to get serious and play a lot and that's just how it is now. It's like that in any long-running MUD and I bet it's even like that in UO, too.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Captain Insano » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:54 pm

What killed me on EQ after all these years was even with a kickass guild logging on to do ANYTHING productive never takes less than 3 hours.

and in three hours you can't accomplish a whole lot in EQ. WoW i can log on for an hour do a quest, do a BG or just go wax people in Stranglethorn, knowing all the while that Onyxia is waiting for the guild to raid.

I guess after all these years of mmo'ing I desire more instant gratification and endgame and PVP in one.

The only thing I don't like and I'm sounding like a broken record here... is the character development. Its a little too cookie cutter for me. I also kind of feel that for each class there is a required build for endgame PVE. It would be nice to allow for some variation without comprimising endgame effectiveness.

Darcler:

Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions