Glider lawsuit?

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Glider lawsuit?

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:11 am

I'm kind of teetering on this one. Back when I was a 5 hour a day player, I would have probably been against something like this, just because I'd "feel" like someone was getting the jump on me.

Now that I'm a 5 hour per week player (not WoW, but games in general), I like the idea of something like this. You still have to acquire all the items to make your guy useful, so it's not like it's a free uber pass.

Seems like in today's day and age where it's en vogue to talk about gaming "addictions" and what not, that Blizzard could be tagged with being anal and trying to chain people to their PCs, hence promoting the negative feedback towards gaming and addictions, especially with 9mil subs and making money hand over fist.

Isn't it hypocritical in a game that promotes modding and automation in it's UI, as well as the selling / buying of gold (but not the farmers), to be pursuing legal action against something like this?

It's kind of like monster missions in EQ, where you'd see level 70 people that couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag with their newbie gear. You could avoid them if you wished and they were very easy to spot. Does it really have a big impact on the existing guilds and playerbase to have something like an auto-levelling program exist?
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Stabfase » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am

I guess it's how you value your time, if you're playing with friends and shit then i dont find leveling that big a deal, but in your case being a 5 hour a week player, it would seem like a waste of money anyways just from my point of view.

You'll always have people that would rather have the full experience of playing a character from start to finish(tacks for example), so he's got a bad feelings towards the gold buyers and botters, and I think almost everyone on this board would agree with him.

On the other hand you've got the 5 hour a week player(not you in specific) who thinks to himself "I don't have time to level to 60 and farm for a mount so what harm can botting a bit and buying some gold do?". Now taking into consideration that, i'd say about 2% of botters are just people with little time to play, that leaves 98% of them being the gold farmers. Now ask yourself, do gold farmers hurt the economy? Most of the time yes, i suppose it depends on the server and shit. But prices for things can plummet or sky rocket depending on what it is, herbs,pots, whatever which can really fuck stuff up for legit people that spend their more than 5 hours a week farming things and/or trying to play the auction house.

Glider seems overkill IMO since leveling in WoW is on par with getting to the letter Z in Elmo's Letter Adventure.
Stabfase
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Location: billywitchdoctor.com. One Convenient Locations. In Africa.

Re: Glider lawsuit?

Postby Tikker » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:39 am

Reynaldo wrote:.

Isn't it hypocritical in a game that promotes modding and automation in it's UI, as well as the selling / buying of gold (but not the farmers), to be pursuing legal action against something like this?

I think the issue is that 95%+ of the people who use something like that are farmers doing stuff that is in essence outside the EULA/ToS set by blizzard

I still find it ridiculous that people who play a couple hours a week feel that they're entitled to the same level of progression as those who put in multiple hours a day

I don't understand(and likely never will) people who essentially pay for a game, then pay someone else to essentially play it for them

In EQ, I could understand a little bit, someone that had level'd a couple chars to max, buying/trading for another account cause it was semi painful to lvl yet another character

but for someone to just start out with some eBay'd toon was beyond me
95% of the fun of the games is exploring the world, learning new abilities, etc etc

ie, levelling
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby ybik gnome » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:26 pm

word is out! Ive used glider and its da bomb! Greatest 15$ ever!
ybik gnome
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tacks » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Greatest invention ever for all the no-talent nubs out there who will never do anything other than the 5 man instances.

PS: Blizzard officially filed 7 lawsuits against the maker of WoW Glider today.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby ybik gnome » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:19 pm

And glider still going strong, it's already been said when it shut down, the next bot is already to go as it is now.

BTW tacks, I've went quite a bit further then most wow players have. Hell, the leader of my raid crew helped write showEQ....

Glider is great for Epic flying mounts...and the rest of the gold needed for the consumables that is wow raiding. I prefer to spend my time outside my house, and just AH the herbs for all the pots needed for kara and beyond now.
ybik gnome
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tacks » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:35 pm

and if you need wowglider then you probably DO need pots for kara...roflz
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby ybik gnome » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:42 pm

Im taking that as you play a rogue or some shit Tacks, and you dont buy flash powder.

Either that or, you havent been to Curator or the above mobs that last 4-6 minute fights.
ybik gnome
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tacks » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:44 pm

we've cleared karazhan for the past 4 weeks

ever hear of pickpocketing?

again, WoW Glider = casual douchebags who don't know how to play anyways

Why bother playing if you're not playing half the time anyways.

At this point you don't even need a mount. I generally log online, get a summon to where i'm going, clear the instance I'm doing and log off.
Last edited by Tacks on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:48 pm

raise your hand if you're shocked Ybik favours cheating in online games
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tacks » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:49 pm

Not surprising in the fact that he was the douchenozzle who bought like 30 EQ accounts (roflz why?) and was never worth a damn in that game either.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby ybik gnome » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Was good enough to be invited to Sanctuary quite a few times by Fell.

roflz as its been said bought my car with my EQ moneyz!

And yes, as I said a rogue as I said, GG.
ybik gnome
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tacks » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:02 pm

ybik gnome wrote:Was good enough to be invited to Sanctuary quite a few times by Fell.

roflz as its been said bought my car with my EQ moneyz!

That's certainly nothing to brag about

And yes, as I said a rogue as I said, GG.

English plz, most people also play multiple characters
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Tacks wrote:we've cleared karazhan for the past 4 weeks

Why bother playing if you're not playing half the time anyways.

Hasn't the expansion only been out a bit more than a month?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tacks » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:44 pm

January 16th

remember Kara is only 10 man with 7 day reset.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:41 pm

And Nightbane's the toughest thing in there, and we got him in a single evening's work. Gonna have to revise the strat though, now that you HAVE to get all 5 skeletons once the patch hits. Then again, we might just get everyone done with him before the patch and then just not worry about him after, as nothing he drops, other than the coilfang resevoir key part, is essential.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:50 am

showEQ was awesome for farming those ridiculous spawns
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby ybik gnome » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:27 pm

arlos wrote:And Nightbane's the toughest thing in there, and we got him in a single evening's work. Gonna have to revise the strat though, now that you HAVE to get all 5 skeletons once the patch hits. Then again, we might just get everyone done with him before the patch and then just not worry about him after, as nothing he drops, other than the coilfang resevoir key part, is essential.

-Arlos

BTW Nightbane nerfed! Maiden nerfed YET AGAIN..wtf people >< We 7 manned her one night, and people cant 10 man the bitch.
ybik gnome
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions