Anyone played an enhancement shaman to high level?

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Anyone played an enhancement shaman to high level?

Postby Arlos » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:56 pm

Since I was never getting to raid on my tank-spec paladin, and I'm unwilling to become healbot, after some discussion with my guildleader as to what the guild could most use, I'm leveling up an enhancement shaman to be part of the DPS crew.

So, was hoping to find someone who'd made the grind to 70 already as the class, and pick their brain for some pointers. Obviously I know the game really well, but this is my first time ever playing a Shaman.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:57 pm

You'll figure it out in two weeks like the rest of the world, especially given your extensive knowledge beforehand.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Alphonso » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:13 am

Sorry, but tankadin and enhancement shaman? moonkin next? hehe
Alphonso
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Arlos » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:47 am

Yeah, I wasn't going to do Shaman, for that very reason. I was all set to do warrior, hunter or mage, or maybe even Warlock, but the guild already has plenty of each of them. They only have 1 guy playing an enhancement shaman though, and they really like what he brings to raids. Problem for him is, since he's the only one, he never gets to miss a raid or take a night off. Thus, my GM's suggestion I go enhancement shaman.

Yeah, I am sure I could've gotten into a lot more raids if I went healbot-spec pally, but I HATE being a healbot. Spot healing in between tanking I don't mind, though. For example, in Kara, where I'd tank most of the stuff, and split time with a warrior when there was multiple targets, when we hit the Shade of Aran, since I wasn't needed to tank, I'd swap to my healing suit and go healbot. Then, after that, back to tanking, etc. But to spend an entire raid healing? Ugh. Too much like spending my time playing whack-a-mole with health bars in CTRA.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Alphonso » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:14 am

I dont know what your guild makeup is but if you have never played a feral druid you dont know what you are missing. I can literally tank,dps, and heal 5mans,heroics and KZ all in one spec ( 3 full sets of gear however)
Alphonso
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Arlos » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:01 am

Well, the guild is currently in Hyjal and BT, so the usefulness of a Feral druid for that end of things is a lot less. As a Tankadin I could handle tanking 5 mans, heroics, kara, etc. it was just when it came to the 25-mans that an issue arose.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Susvain » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Enhancement shamans can out dps rogues on melee friendly fights, definetly good to have. Rogue with an Anhk!
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tacks » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:26 pm

Maybe if your rogues are horrible. In longer fights when you hit the agro cap the shamans just go splat because of no hate reduction. Any more than 1 enh shaman is overkill for 25 mans.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:04 pm

Isn't a Shaman like the biggest gimp class in the game?
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Eldred » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:32 am

The rogues in your guild suck then. Plain and simple.
Eldred
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Shneider » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:13 am

Looking at our last Gruul WWS, Mahler beat the rogue who was present but she only had 83% up time and apparently didn't vanish, which would likely fall into the suck category.
Shneider
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Tacks » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:37 am

He was still 150 dps below her. He only did more dmg because she died early. That rogue is also only rocking 8% to hit gear...tell her to lern2play thx. Clang in our guild basically has the best shit he can get at our progression rate and he's still pulling 800 dps while we're at 1200-1300 (straight up dps fights, no running back into position like gruul).
Last edited by Tacks on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tacks » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:47 am

Nice to see the underperforming motherfuckers are still underperforming in that raid too btw.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Burgy99 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:28 pm

Any one else notice beast master hunters putting out ridiculous numbers?
Burgy99
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Susvain » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:57 am

Overtime we've had a few shitty rogues that were members/apps who all got replaced. I'm not boasting or anything but I think our rogues know how to play if we've killed Anetheron and Supremus and are still with us. Maybe you just dont have good enhancement shaman, I remember ours being top 3 on our first Gruul and Kael kills.
Susvain
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jeddas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:35 am

Who cares who is 1-15 on a meter so long as the numbers are tight enough eh? Even ret. pallys can do okay damage..

Playing an enhancement shaman is simply knowing all the tricks. What speed of weapon to use, when to use magma totem instead of earth shock, blah blah blah.

However, aside from refreshing your totems every two minutes, you're just going to end up pressing one, or even as many as two buttons. Its not as exciting or interactive as playing most other DPS positions.

Furry warrior would be an interesting choice.

Narrock wrote:Isn't a Shaman like the biggest gimp class in the game?

Shaman are fine.
Jeddas
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Avient » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:08 am

Enhancement shaman are good dps, but their true purpose is to increase the overall damage of the party they are in. WF totem is such an increase in overall damage for everyone its not even funny. They just run into the same problem that my dps war does, threat cap. On a fight where threat isn't on multiple tanks like Gruul they don't have to worry too much like I do where I ride the ass of the MT, but throw in a screwy threat fight and they will have to slow down a whole lot or they get face smashed.
Avient
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Dylan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:10 am

Totems and frost shock.
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Vipsindsyg » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:24 am

Shamans contribute a lot more to raids than dps warriors, I mean really a fury specced warrior doesn't do anything but raw dps (maybe some battleshout, but fury is hardly a pre-requisite for that). MS/Blood frenzy and improved shouts war might contribute a bit more in 25-mans, but their dps is generally a lot lower than a fury warrior.

Sorta off topic, but shamans are useful, dps warriors are expendable ! :o
Vipsindsyg
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Mudcrush Durtfeet » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:54 am

I play an enhance shaman as you know Arlos. Feel free to ask me questions in game.

Otoh, if your guild already has a dedicated enhance shaman then I doubt your chances of getting into raids will improve - more than one enhance shaman is overkill for a 25 man.

Your purpose as an enhance shaman is mainly to 'enhance' the dps of a melee dps group - a 25 man will normally have one group.

---

That said, if you do go enhance, you want to have slow weapons - it's been reported that it's better to have a 'green' off hand that's slow than even some epic fast off hands (ie that dagger off opera event).

Go double windfury whatever weapons you have (for raiding).
A founding member of Legacy of Steel
Mudcrush Durtfeet
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions