World of Warcraft and Championship Gaming Series

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

World of Warcraft and Championship Gaming Series

Postby Vipsindsyg » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:04 pm

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 0769&sid=1

We're pleased to announce that World of Warcraft will be one of the featured games in this year’s Championship Gaming Series (CGS) World Championship. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade players on the European and North American realms have the opportunity to secure a spot in the upcoming CGS draft, to be held at BlizzCon. Players who are drafted onto CGS teams will earn $30,000 - $100,000 or more annually in salaries and bonuses as professional gamers.

Ladders
All teams participating in 2-vs.-2 Arena System matches in each battlegroup will automatically be entered in the competition. The initial phase of the tournament will last from June 19 to July 3, and players can check the rankings by visiting the battlegroup ladder pages. The top five 2-vs.-2 teams in each battlegroup will be invited to the next round.

Qualifiers
Following the end of the ladder phase of the tournament on July 3, the five top-ranked teams from each battlegroup will be selected to participate in the qualifiers, as discussed above. Each of these teams will be copied to a private realm in the corresponding region (Europe and North America), where they will compete with the other qualifying teams from that region's battlegroups. The qualifier round will run from July 9 to July 17 and will utilize the same ranking system as the ladders. At the end of the qualifier round, the top 8 teams from Europe and North America will be chosen to participate in the live CGS tournament at BlizzCon and subsequent draft.

BlizzCon Tournament and CGS Draft
The top 16 teams from the qualifiers will be flown to BlizzCon to participate in a two-day tournament to determine the best 2-vs.-2 Arena teams in the world. The top 8 teams from Blizzcon will then be flown to the CGS World Championship in Los Angeles, where they will compete for cash prizes and immediately begin their careers as salaried pro gamers at CGS. They will join 1 of 8 CGS teams following the 2008 Draft and then compete professionally for their teams alongside team members who play a variety of games, including World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade.

Championship Gaming Series (CGS): http://www.thecgs.com
BlizzCon: http://www.blizzcon.com
Battlegroup ladder pages: http://armory.wow-europe.com/battlegroups.xml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community Manager
Blizzard Entertainment
@European Regionals

Found it very interesting; anyone else trying out for this? My 2v2 team is currently ranked 14th in our battlegroup so hopefully we'll make it.
Vipsindsyg
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Alphonso » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:40 am

grats all the pally/ms war and shadow priest/warlock combos
Alphonso
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Kramer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:59 pm

gratz. what's your combo?
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:17 pm

The only way I personally believe this should be done is give them pregenerated characters and let them choose their talents.

That is a REAL test of skill.
    How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Vipsindsyg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 pm

Minor update (not that I think anyone cares, I'm just bored and lonely). I'm currently playing as a warrior with a holy/disc priest partner, we're still fighting to reach top 5 in our battlegroup, and unfortunately it's getting harder and harder. We started out really well by getting up to a 6th spot after killing a warlock / holy pal combo from Forte four times in a row, but we were greedy and threw ourselves at a war/pal team from Last Resort several times, losing us a fuckton of points. I think we're currently around 13-14th.

As for the other teams we face, other priest team is no problem at all (shadow, holy, disc, anything). But the warrior combo's are giving us a really hard time (war/pal, war/resto druid, war/resto shaman). Especially because we're seriously undergeared, being the only non-gladiator team in top 30 atm (and our battlegroup having like 4-5 guilds farming black temple? freaking nuts).

Overall our battlegroup is mostly dominated by war/healer teams and a fuckton of frost mage / rogue and frost mage / feral druid combo's. I honestly think that 2v2 isn't as "imbalanced" as people seem to think; it's just rock / paper / scissor balanced which is afterall a trademark of Blizzard - I've personally seen a frost mage / feral druid combo completely own every single war/pal team in our bg, hard; but you don't hear people screaming "nerf frost mage / feral druid combo!".
    Vipsindsyg
    NT Froglok
    NT Froglok

Postby Menlaan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:54 pm

Good luck! Let us know how you do.
    Menlaan
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Kramer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 am

ditto
    Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
      Kramer
      NT Traveller
      NT Traveller

Postby vonkaar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:51 pm

That's pretty sweet vips, good luck =)
      Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
      vonkaar
      Sexy Ass
      Sexy Ass

Postby Jeddas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:42 am

Harrison wrote:The only way I personally believe this should be done is give them pregenerated characters and let them choose their talents.

That is a REAL test of skill.

I ran a few teams which sat 1st to 4th on my battle group last season, I never saw a game where gear was the deciding factor. Thats probably because players who are good at PvP play enough to gear themselves.

If anything, I enjoy the freedom to decide what I'd like to use for any given fight. Its not like obtaining any of this gear is difficult for those without severe mental deficiencies. Or the butt-hurt casuals with delusions of self entitlement who want to stand toe to toe with players who put in the groundwork.
      Jeddas
      NT Veteran
      NT Veteran

Postby Jeddas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:43 am

ps. 2v2 is an awful bracket : )
      Jeddas
      NT Veteran
      NT Veteran

Postby Susvain » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:48 am

2v2 = rock paper scissors or sign up for free nehter drakes warlock/spriest
      Susvain
      NT Veteran
      NT Veteran

Postby Vipsindsyg » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:21 am

I'm pretty annoyed honestly, last night before the patch we were playing to get the final points needed for a top 5 finish(europe servers have maintance from 5am-11pm wed). We were going to make it, we were at 2044 rating, it was 2am and the honor/arena points/ratings update at 2:30. We knew there were no team currently playing that stood a chance against us - we were very confident and happy with our performance.
      We join the queue, after 5 mins of waiting we meet the same rogue/mage team we had been facing the last hour - we completely own them, my priest even having 80 % mana left. We leave the battleground after our win, just to see that arena points had been updated 23 minutes early, and that we finished 7th.

I realize it's no real excuse; it's our own fault for having to play so close to the time limit - but we still can't help but feel a bit frustrated. We had a really good week, we played more games in one week, than we did during season 1 and the first week of season 2 combined - 155 games played, 304 rating gained.

We're pretty happy with our performance though, we're seriously undergeared, as I'm currently wearing 2/5 pieces of the blue honor gear, 2/5 pieces of the tier 1 arena stuff, and some level 66 blue leggings from halaa. I also think our class combo is pretty original, not just one of the same old boring "ezmode" combinations; hopefully we'll be able to do it next time when we get some more gear and experience.
      Vipsindsyg
      NT Froglok
      NT Froglok

Postby Menlaan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:52 am

Bad luck. Good performance though.
      Menlaan
      NT Patron
      NT Patron

Postby Tacks » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:01 pm

go outside
      Tacks
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby Jay » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 pm

Tacks wrote:go outside
      leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
      Jay
      Nappy Headed Ho
      Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jeddas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:50 pm

I played the 3v3 bracket maybe 2 hours a week and did fine. We even cut down Ming's 3v3 like.. 9-3? Its not very time consuming.
      Jeddas
      NT Veteran
      NT Veteran

Postby Tacks » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:14 pm

hey jeddas

shut the fuck up
      Tacks
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:21 am

Tacks wrote:hey jeddas

shut the fuck up

go outside
      How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
      Harrison
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby kaharthemad » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:02 pm

Jesus christ would someone hook up with tacks and fuck him? He is getting bitchy again.

As to the contest. good going for making it as far as you did vip.
      kaharthemad
      NT Traveller
      NT Traveller

Postby Tacks » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:49 pm

kaharthemad wrote:Jesus christ would someone hook up with tacks and fuck him? He is getting bitchy again.

As to the contest. good going for making it as far as you did vip.

stfu fatty
      Tacks
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions