Pros and cons to playing wow

More drama than an episode of Buffy

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Pros and cons to playing wow

Postby kiral » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:56 am

my rl friend keeps bugging me to play with him on a pve server, im craving for some mmorpgs and all,

so yah whats the good and the bad side at playing, keep in mind it would be casual playing, not hardcore grind like i did in eq1 and 2 :o
kiral
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Re: Pros and cons to playing wow

Postby kiral » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:35 am

trying out the wow free trial version for 10 days, it aint as bad as i thought itd be
kiral
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Dylan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:03 pm

It gets old extremely fast for most people.
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:39 am

Yeah, after about 2 months you're already bored.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:18 pm

if you've got a consistent group to play with, it can be great

it's when you start branching off and all on different quests that it gets really tedious
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:43 pm

all depends what you do with your time, too. If once you hit 60, and are on a good server with a good PUG environment, you can do heroics and even raiding without ever joining a guild. Hell, on my current server, people PUG heroics and 10 mans all the time, and there is even some slightly more organized PUGing of current 25 man content. Obviously not as fast or as successful as real raiding guilds, but I know they've certainly cleared all of Naxx and big chunks of Ulduar and TOC.

So, if you've got something to do, and the carrot of bette rgear and new encounters to experience, it's much much harder to get bored.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:22 pm

WoW's tradeskilling is far superior to EQ 2's IMO. I can't stand the way Sony has it set up. Way too much work for a video game...
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jay » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 pm

It's too easy. There's no sense of accomplishment in WoW imo. There was plenty in EQ1.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 pm

That's the biggest thing for me in gaming.

I need a sense of "Wow, I did that."

VERY few games have been able to give me that since EQ1. Games these days are like interactive movies, no difficulty or penalty for failure.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:43 am

Harrison wrote:That's the biggest thing for me in gaming.

You need a challenging job, so you can use games as an escape and means to relax, not a vehicle to channel ones need for progression in life.

Fuck MMOs or any other games that are about sadomasochism.

WOW patch 3.3 will make the game even better with streamlined LFG that allows cross server PUGs.

I'm currently playing through Dragon Age: Origins, but once I finish it I'll probably be back to WOW. Then again, if Bioware keeps DLC coming every month or three I may just stick with Origins, as it blows away WOW in every way possible.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:03 am

cross-server PUGs??? :eyecrazy:
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Arlos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:20 pm

it blows away WOW in every way possible

Except, of course, for interaction with other people, assuming you're actually part of a guild.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:55 pm

I've done all the content in WOW. I really despise badge and seal farming, and since WOW will become doing dungeons and raids over and over for these in the foreseeable future, I'm really pleased with Dragon Age and it's storyline and it's depth
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Lyion wrote:
Harrison wrote:That's the biggest thing for me in gaming.

You need a challenging job, so you can use games as an escape and means to relax, not a vehicle to channel ones need for progression in life.

That's a dick thing to say. Games are for playing and jobs are for income. Being able to derive accomplishment from anything you do is only a good thing and doesn't take away from anything else. Personally, I look for it in games, work, sports and anything else I have an interest in doing. If there's a higher standard to reach for, it adds a dynamic, games work or otherwise.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:09 pm

I was just going to let the dick comment slide lol :dunno:
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:49 pm

Harrison wrote:I was just going to let the dick comment slide lol :dunno:

Yeah but that's so boring :P

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:30 pm

Jay wrote:That's a dick thing to say. Games are for playing and jobs are for income. Being able to derive accomplishment from anything you do is only a good thing and doesn't take away from anything else. Personally, I look for it in games, work, sports and anything else I have an interest in doing. If there's a higher standard to reach for, it adds a dynamic, games work or otherwise.

You miss my point. Generally, when I go for a run, shoot hoops, or play some golf it's for enjoyment, not looking for 'Wow, I did it' times. Same deal for games. Wow I did it to me should be for important things. Then again, games aren't really challenging to me. Even MMOs. I enjoy them and like them and they're hobbies, but I don't get accomplishment.

Those in EQ were mainly due to the pain, bad design, and waste of my life that the game really was. WOW is designed for grinding, but not very many of those 'Oh Shit' moments. If the highlights of ones life are made with strangers on Vent or some Japanese CRPG, then hey, better you than me.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 pm

I don't know. I try to get good at everything I do for enjoyment or I see no purpose to it.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:16 pm

I'm actually with Harrison on this one

I've infinitely enjoyed games on a deeper level when I've gotten a sense of accomplishment from winning/killing/whatever a game
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Novemer 4th, 2009...

The world ended as Hell froze over.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:20 pm

as for WoW

if you just want to run around and kill shit, and have fun, it's not a bad game at all

if you want EQ style progression, it sucks donkeyballs
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Lately, I've been playing through CoD:4 on Arcade Mode on Veteran to see what scores I can pump out of it lol

My console-playing friends see the shit I pull off and finally realize why PC FPS players are vastly superior. :wink:
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:36 pm

If you think there's no challenge to WOW, you've not experienced the raid game, especially the ulduar and later era hardmode encounters.

Yeah, lower end stuff is trivial, but there IS challenge out there if you want to seek it out. I certainly got a sense of accomplishment when we recently got hardmode 25-man Anub'arak. No, it wasn't the same level of satisfaction I got when we killed the AOW, but then, no other sense of accomplishment in EQ ever came close to that either.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:02 am

I've done Ulduar. It's easy. Only thing I didn't get to kill was Algalon. I'm not saying easy because I want everyone to think I'm uberleet or whatever. I'm saying it's easy because there isn't a single encounter in Ulduar that takes more than 1 week, 3 days a week, 3 hours a night worth of encounters to learn and kill. The game creates mobs that have systematic ways to defeat them. I just don't like it. Player ingenuity used to be a key factor in the game, now it's who can interpret the strat best.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:14 am

Did you do them normal mode, or hardmode?

Normal mode is ridiculously easy. Hardmodes are another thing entirely. Especially for encounters like hardmode mimiron, or 1 keeper Yogg, they are 100% dependent upon individual performance. If one person screws up, you can wipe the entire raid.

Again, yes, normal modes are really easy. Hardmodes, though, are often different kettles of fish entirely, and often completely and totally change the fight's dynamics.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to World of Warcraft Discussions