Hamstring Strength?

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Hamstring Strength?

Postby Rotj » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:38 pm

hi,

just recently i've suffered nearly 2.5 hamstring ruptures on my right leg due to excessive kicking. first around the bit behind the knee and another closer to the glutes. i've toned down the training load but previously had always suffered from hamstring strains.

if anyone knows of simple strength exercises for them (which doesn't require gym equipment as my membership has just ran out) it would be of great help..

right now i can only think of: hill / stair running, squats and that one with the swiss ball , isometric stretching (?)..which requires you to keep your feet on the ball and using them to pull it to your torso?

i probably have a bit of a abdominal compared to lower lumbar / back imbalance. so any lower back exercises would be great too.

thanks in advance!
Rotj
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tadpole » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:27 pm

Squats are the best
Tadpole
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:02 pm

squats are great.. all kinds

dead lifts- fill up big milk jugs with sand

do some bridges/back bend.. you can use the exercise ball if you need some support and bridge up from that

check out some of the yoga and pilates videos out there as well to help with your flexibility

careful not to overtrain and risk causing more injury

warm up with some cardio 5-10 minutes and then stretch before you start to lift or do any resistance moves
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Rotj » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:22 pm

great call with the deadlifts..totally forgot about them. been recently taking it easy..quite suprised i can still do the splits on the left leg. still unfortunately off with the right due to the injuries. :/
Rotj
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby liquidstayce » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:22 pm

Hey Rot - So how has it been going the last few days? Hamstrings feeling any better?
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Rotj » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:08 pm

so and so. i've been making some minor overstrains with my neglect of rest..therefore leading to other injuries now towards the abductors. i just need to rest and take it easy..but it's hard to stay still :(
Rotj
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby liquidstayce » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:53 pm

ouch... maybe you should look at rest like a workout within itself since it is a challenge for you =) Rest is as equally as important as working out. Just ask any bodybuilder. Many stress the importance of rest and recovery. As you know it is part of the whole muscle rebuilding process.. tear down the muscles.. let em rest.. tear them down again. If you keep tearing down before they heal completely you are not going to see any gains - only more injury. I know.. I'm not telling you anything you don't know already. So rest and don't beat yourself up about it.
Feel bettah =)
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Rotj » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:44 pm

thanks for the advice and support! good point on the rest as a workout..i've been doing some real light stretches now..and just having to repeat to myself that it's a slow and gradual process.
Rotj
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum