NT Moms!

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

NT Moms!

Postby Darcler » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:23 am

I figure I will get less spam in this forum if I post this here...plus this is about health, so I guess it fits.

I was told at Hailey's last appointment (awhile back) that I need to start switching her to whole milk instead of formula around 1 year. Well thats a couple weeks off, and I dont know how to go about doing it. I dont have a doctor to call, she's off Medicaid and Nov1 is when she gets on our policy for Gid's work.
Do I add the milk to the formula in the bottle? Like 2oz milk/6oz formula? And lessen it down every couple of days? Or do I put less and less in her bottle and give her a separate sippy cup of milk?
Halp~

Oh, when did your kids start saying words? Any word will do. She says mama and baba but not at anything in particular. Doctor also told me that they should be saying 3 to 5 words by one year, if they arent walking. She isnt walking and really shows no interest. So there isnt a skill she is "working on" over another skill. Maybe she's lazy.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Trielelvan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:59 am

You don't need to add the milk to the formula in the bottle, but you can if necessary. Do try to switch out starting with one bottle of milk for a day or two, then 2 for a couple days, etc, wash, rinse, repeat. The main reason for doing it this way is to give you a clear indication how well her body adjusts to the whole milk, and whether or not she has cow's milk allergies. In other words, if you give her a whole bottle of milk, and she pukes it all up, then try mixing the milk with the formula and see how that sits. If she still pukes it up, you may want to talk with a doctor about it, switch her to toddler formula, or try using goat's milk/soymilk (neither of which have nearly enough fat content in my opinion, but some people use them successfully).
If she takes the whole milk just fine, then just continue to add a bottle into her feeding instead of formula until she is only drinking milk.

You can start her on sippy cups right away now if she will take them instead of bottles (and will want to start doing this anyway as her teeth should be coming in soon, if not a few already - you don't want her sucking on a bottle once the teeth come in if you can help it.)

Incidentally, there is also older baby formula that works just fine and is probably better than whole milk. The biggest difference (and reason why a doctor would tell you to switch to whole milk) between the infant formula and whole milk is the amount of calcium, which whole milk does indeed provide a lot more of, and vitamin D. Older babies need the extra Vitamin D to prevent rickets, and infant formula doesn't really have enough. Toddler formula, however, has everything needed for that age group between 1-3.

I breastfed my son until he was around 1 1/2 years old. He was also started on baby food at 5 months, and I started supplimenting with whole milk at one year to start the weaning process (he wouldn't drink any until then either).

Artie started his first words around 4 months old. By one year, he had enough of a vocabulary to make it clear when he wanted something and who he wanted it from. My guess is somewhere around 30-40 words max. He was able to name most things in the house, who we were, and himself. He did not actually start walking until he was 14 months old, so just a couple months past a year old.

Don't put too much stock by what the doctors say. Jj's mom and dad told me that he didn't start real talking until he was 2 years old, but when he did, he was speaking in complete sentences. He had learned and understood just fine. He just never spoke much. Don't worry about her not walking right away either. Artie didn't start trying to walk until a month after turning 1 yr, but once he started, he was up... and running... everywhere. *sigh* He hasn't "walked" since then ><
Hailey will start when she's ready. She will start pulling herself up on things when she's ready to signal to you that she will be learning to walk soon.
By the time she hits the 18 month mark, you will see things changing faster than you are ready for anyway lol :)
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby The Kizzy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:06 am

at three months they can understand phenomes (sounds)

between 4 monhts and a year they start pruning out words that don't make sense.

When she crys coos, or laughs she is developing her speech.

At 6 months her mouth muscles strenghten and begin controling her cooing and she will start babbling. Her babbling will be similiar to the English that you speak.

First words come between 10m and 13 months

She will automatically identify mama to mommy or dada to daddy

at 18 months she has a vocabulary of 3-50 words

between 18-24 months she will get spurts in her vocabulary
"Mommy, mine" is a good example.

By age 3, she will add more complex words into her vocabulary.
"Mommy, mine" will turn into "That is my Mommy"

As far as the milk thing, here is my advice. Think about it. Formula tastes like SHIT, but babies don't know this because that is all they have really had. Are you giving her the sweet potatoes and strained peas, and other jars of baby food? Milk tastes like nectar from the gods to a baby. Try giving her a bottle of just milk, and see if she likes it, chances are she will (warm it up some, that satisfies there little bellies better). She may sleep better if you still give her formula right before sleepy time. But I would also try some cereal and milk, but not to much. Lots of people say that a full stomach will help the baby sleep better, but if you fill her stomach with cereal that has to digest when she is sleeping, it will actually make her uncomfortable and cranky.

Hope I have helped. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby araby » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:31 am

Cow milk is gross and it has too many hormones in it. Give her juice and water instead.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby The Kizzy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:17 am

Children need the nutriets in Cows milk to develop
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:27 am

My daughter had problems with milk, so the doc said to give her Lactaid milk or non-dairy creamer. The boys had no problems and were transistioned to milk around age 1.

Are you on WIC? The nutritionist can help with most of your specific questions since she actually sees Hailey. :)

As for where she is developmentally, what the doc goes by is the average for that age. She could be a little behind the curve and still be perfectly normal.

Also, you can easily make your own baby food that tastes 100x better and has more nutrients. It's extremely simple to do. I used to make up a batch and then freeze it into ice cube trays for easy portion control.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:28 am

I didn't speak until I was over three years old. My parents thought I was deaf and was having me tested for it ><

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby The Kizzy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:43 am

Some of us wish you wouldnt speak now. Oh snap.

I joke. I joke. I kid. I kid.
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:01 am

I am still a very quiet person. Except when I get high... then my brain shuts down and my stomach takes over and I'm like "hey, I'm hungry, who wants to go get me some Taco bell, I'd really appreciate it, I'm hungry, do you think you can do it for me? I'd reallllly appreciate it. Okay, so you won't, how about you cook me some food, blah blah blah"

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby liquidstayce » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:48 am

lol......
I always had a big mouth.

Dana is quiet until he gets to know you and then once he does his sarcastic personality comes out and you just laugh non-stop around him.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Darcler » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:47 pm

So just switch out a whole bottle in a sippy cup of milk? (I'd like to get rid of the bottle along with the formula :) )
I knew about waiting a while. I know what to look for if she has a reaction. We tried to switch formulas when she was 3 months...we had to take her to the ER. Linda Blair and the pea soup had NOTHING on the distance and quantity this spew had. Then the painful cries from hell..not a good night.

Not on WIC anymore. Well, I am for another month, but the office is 45 min away. Not worth it. We make too much to continue on it.

I know I shouldnt worry about her growth, I know babies grow at their own rate, but it's just realllllly annoying because of my mom and her twin. My cousin had her baby 2 or 3 months after I had Hailey and my mom and my aunt are constantly putting both babies in a race. Who's baby is the super baby! "Emily had messed up hips and SHE is already starting to take wobble steps" "Emily has SIX teeth. How many does Hailey have again?" We are even now, thank you very much.

This is all just PMS, I'm emotional :(
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby araby » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:01 pm

http://www.milksucks.com/index2.asp

Just a little more information. You're right, babies/chilldren need the proper nutrition. They just don't have to get it from milk.

http://www.heinzforbaby.com.au/content/layouts/Library/feature.asp?cc=47&sc=49#no

read the "why no cow milk" and more there..
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Darcler » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:25 pm

Hailey is intolerant to soy :(

I'm going to get her on whole milk, as has been told to me by all the WIC ladies, and if she doesnt react well to it (like her daddy) then I will keep her on formula and wait until I can get her in the doctors office for shots and ask what I can do.

Blurt: Fuck Medicaid. That is all.

But yeah, what about that kids milk with the purple label? I havent looked at it, but I would think they supplement vitamins in it that regular old milk doesnt have. I'll look tonight.
Warm milk makes me sick to think about, but she takes a while to drink cold things. Ugh I guess I'll have Gid do it heh.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby The Kizzy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:00 am

the warm milk will also settle her tummy.
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Mop » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:44 am

anything cow related is generaly horrid.

really tho the one big thing is dont drink soda with aspartane it can end up stunting mental growth before age two, if you are brest feeding.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Phlegm » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:03 am

Mop wrote:really tho the one big thing is dont drink soda with aspartane it can end up stunting mental growth before age two, if you are brest feeding.

That's the stuff in diet soda right?
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:32 am

Trielelvan wrote:You don't need to add the milk to the formula in the bottle, but you can if necessary. Do try to switch out starting with one bottle of milk for a day or two, then 2 for a couple days, etc, wash, rinse, repeat. The main reason for doing it this way is to give you a clear indication how well her body adjusts to the whole milk, and whether or not she has cow's milk allergies. In other words, if you give her a whole bottle of milk, and she pukes it all up, then try mixing the milk with the formula and see how that sits. If she still pukes it up, you may want to talk with a doctor about it, switch her to toddler formula, or try using goat's milk/soymilk (neither of which have nearly enough fat content in my opinion, but some people use them successfully).
If she takes the whole milk just fine, then just continue to add a bottle into her feeding instead of formula until she is only drinking milk.

You can start her on sippy cups right away now if she will take them instead of bottles (and will want to start doing this anyway as her teeth should be coming in soon, if not a few already - you don't want her sucking on a bottle once the teeth come in if you can help it.)

Incidentally, there is also older baby formula that works just fine and is probably better than whole milk. The biggest difference (and reason why a doctor would tell you to switch to whole milk) between the infant formula and whole milk is the amount of calcium, which whole milk does indeed provide a lot more of, and vitamin D. Older babies need the extra Vitamin D to prevent rickets, and infant formula doesn't really have enough. Toddler formula, however, has everything needed for that age group between 1-3.

I breastfed my son until he was around 1 1/2 years old. He was also started on baby food at 5 months, and I started supplimenting with whole milk at one year to start the weaning process (he wouldn't drink any until then either).

Artie started his first words around 4 months old. By one year, he had enough of a vocabulary to make it clear when he wanted something and who he wanted it from. My guess is somewhere around 30-40 words max. He was able to name most things in the house, who we were, and himself. He did not actually start walking until he was 14 months old, so just a couple months past a year old.

Don't put too much stock by what the doctors say. Jj's mom and dad told me that he didn't start real talking until he was 2 years old, but when he did, he was speaking in complete sentences. He had learned and understood just fine. He just never spoke much. Don't worry about her not walking right away either. Artie didn't start trying to walk until a month after turning 1 yr, but once he started, he was up... and running... everywhere. *sigh* He hasn't "walked" since then ><
Hailey will start when she's ready. She will start pulling herself up on things when she's ready to signal to you that she will be learning to walk soon.
By the time she hits the 18 month mark, you will see things changing faster than you are ready for anyway lol :)

This whole time I thought you were a dude. :rofl:
Jay

Postby leah » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:33 am

a little late in the game, but it's "phonemes" not "phenomes"
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby The Kizzy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:36 am

spelling nazi :wink:
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby leah » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:01 am

hehehe sorry... i'm a language and linguistics major and spent an entire semester last year learning about phonemes. ^_^
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Darcler » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:14 am

Good, then you can tell me what it is :)
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Mop » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:51 pm

Phlegm wrote:
Mop wrote:really tho the one big thing is dont drink soda with aspartane it can end up stunting mental growth before age two, if you are brest feeding.

That's the stuff in diet soda right?

Yes a small % of the population about .5 - .8 % is non responsive to it and the body does notknow how to get rid of it so it stores it - the chemical reaction over a long period of timee can cause some serious problems mentaly developing past 2 years old
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Trielelvan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:35 pm

Aspartame also has the lovely disposition of breaking down into toxins (like formaldehyde) when it is stored in a warm environment for a long enough time. As far as what studies say about it causing diseases and health problems, I can not verify, but I do know for a fact that it causes severe headaches for damn near every person I knew that would only drink diet drinks (before Splenda made it's debut), which for me is enough of a health problem to avoid it altogether. When these people stopped drinking/eating anything with aspartame in it, their headaches disappeared.

Erodalak wrote:This whole time I thought you were a dude. :rofl:

!!!!!
LMFAO! How the hell did I give that impression?
Image<--- female
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum