Trying A Tri!

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Trying A Tri!

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:43 am

I've been wanting to do a triathlon ever since Mop did his and next October I will JUST DO IT! I am officially in training and I am going to keep going!!! I figure if I post this publically I can't back out. Hahaha!

The open water swim freaks me out a bit. I learned to swim in the 80's and really need to read up and train in that area. Getting use to also swimming with that amt of people in the water will prove to be a challenge. It isn't like you can practice that. Just need to swim better or get kicked in the head lots. Some people even just get up and walk part of it. The water was pretty shallow. Biking should be fine for me although I do need to invest in a good road bike as of right now I just have a Mt. Bike/hybrid. Running needs plenty of work too but that distance I can probably do without a problem and if I had to walk no biggie. I'll also need to get some practice on the transitions as well as get use to swimming in a wetsuit but luckily Dana has all sorts of experience with that too so he can help me. He did the Osprey Sprint Triathlon last year so I know exactly what I am going to get myself into! It really is not that bad for a first race and a very friendly atmosphere that is really nice for beginners. So if anyone wants to even come for this specific race in Maryland that would rule!

Course Info:

The .5-mile swim will be held in the shallow (4 to 8 feet) Chincoteague Bay. Average water temperature is 68°. Wetsuits are permitted. The swim is an in-water start with plenty of room to spread out and properly seed yourself. The 15.2-mile bike route is a flat circular course; and the 3.1-mile run is flat out on the roads surrounding the rural countryside of southern Worcester County. The finish line will be at the Public Landing Boat Pavillion.

This sprint tri takes place in Public Landing/Snow Hill, Maryland. More info here:
http://mdcoastalbays.org/osprey/info.php

Anyone else interested in training for a sprint tri? If so, It might be cool to start an online log and post workouts to keep us on track. I need it for accountability since I've been a HUGE slacker with workouts the last several months.

Here is a good couch to sprint triathlon training program too: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/a ... ticleid=51

Really.. anyone can do this regardless of fitness level. You just have to want to do it and belive you can do it. We also have more then plenty of time to get ready for next October.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:57 am

Day 1: Just waking up after an awful night of sleep but I need to keep this motivation going so right now as I type this I am putting on my sneakers, grabbing my ipod and just going for a simple walk/jog around our apartment complex. Its already 8am too so I guess I am going to be a little late for work but thats ok. No meetings this morning and this is more important plus will make me feel better for the rest of the day.

UPDATE: Well ended up doing 30 min sprint/run/walk rather than a walk/jog. 30 minutes and then another 10 or so on the eliptical in the middle of the run. Stopped off at the fitness room in our apt complex for that. On the way back I had an exercise induced asthma attack but nothing my albuterol couldn't fix. Few puffs and not I am good to go. Nice fall day out.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Martrae » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:01 am

Is ChiRunning any good? (I saw a link on your page).
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:18 am

I don't know a whole lot about Chi-running. What page did you see a link?
I don't remember ever seeing that. I'm guessing it has to do with breathing technique or something? ohh.. found a web page - I will need to read up -
http://www.chirunning.com/
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Martrae » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:25 am

Yeah, that was the site. :)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Phlegm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:27 pm

Triathlons should have the bike then run then swim portion and see how many people make it out of the water alive.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:09 pm

lmao.. wouldnt that be nice.. I'm sure if it were more then a sprint I would be the first to drown
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Goose_Man » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:45 pm

On camp pendelton we hosted a triathalon every year.

A few years ago there was an 82 year old man who finished it in just under 24 hours.

thats a 2.4 mile swim, a 112mile bike, and then at the end of those you have to run a marathon...

Thats one tough grandpa!
Goose_Man
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:30 pm

Ya he is!! I want to be like him when I grow up =)
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Savanna » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:21 pm

I used to do Tri's when younger and while at college. I was a competitive swimmer when younger and during my college years at CU-Boulder I worked as a lifeguard/swim coach, taught swim lessons and volunteered at Boulder Res. helping handicap learn to waterski.

One of the ladies that used to do a water aerobics course during my guard shift in the morning is married to Tim Deboom (famous triathlete). Tim Deboom swam at one of the Boulder pools I used to teach Sat. morning lessons at so had the pleasure of meeting him thanks to her. Nicole was also a swimmer and we used to talk a lot. She was just getting into the tri thing and I got the itch also. I also guarded with a very hot guy that persuaded me into to it also LOL. Boulder is full of tri people to say the least. The CU tri team are 10 x national champs :) Dave Scott, a very well known tri guy and coaches people on it, lives in Boulder also. It's a very fun place to train and get good tips along the way.

Anyhow, that year I asked my mom for a tri bike for my birthday. I got rid of my car (it was on its last leg anyhow) and started riding everywhere. I had a custom made Cannondale road bike done for me, all measured out on the computer etc. to fit me perfectly. I LOVE my bike still and right b4 I found I was pregnant I had it in the shop to start riding again....but I didn't get much time in b4 I had to stop.

I suck at the running part - partly due to my dislocated knee fun in college but I manage thanks to getting ahead usually on swim / bike portions. What I LOVE LOVE about tri's is you can enter at any age level really with some good training ahead and it's a fun sport to get into. You can be 40 years old and get into your first tri and start a new sport whereas most sports you are past the glory young ages that most athletes are in.

I'm hoping I can get back into Tri shape eventually ..maybe after the baby :) It's really a fun sport imo to train for minus the running! I actually got my swim pass out to start swimming laps while prego to stay in somewhat shape over the next few months. One thing about the open water swim - i'd definitely do a few test runs in open water besides the pool swimming. It's such a different experience. You really learn how to swim with your head up higher and your armstrokes are different due to the need to see where you are going somewhat :) I was lucky and as a kid I swam it a lot with my dad driving the boat next to my step-mom and I (she did tri's also).

Good luck with your training stacy and let me know how it goes!!!! I'm excited for you :) I'm looking forward to hearing about your training progress.

god I rambled on and on there - :) btw here's a link to an interview with Nicole and Tim DeBoom from a while back but kind of cool http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=356

hugs
sav
I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures
Savanna
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:25 pm

Hey Sav - Thanks for posting all that info. Very neat interview too. We need to get out of Baltimore and move to Boulder already. I love the beginner tri site. Been hanging out there on and off for a while.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:59 pm

DAY 3 - ok no workout.. shins hurt like a mo fo and I got home late from work. I know.. excuses excuses. Back on the bike tomorrow.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum