Question about Protein Shakes and all that

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Question about Protein Shakes and all that

Postby LostCause » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:00 pm

All those Protein Shakes and crap does that make much of a difference because im working about 4 times a week and to tell you the truth I am liking the results giving me confidence but just wondering if those supplements and shakes or whatever make a difference Just need some Wisdom
LostCause
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:20 pm

Yes because chances are you are not getting in enough protein by just regular food. Whey protein is the way to go. It really helps to rebuild muscle even if you are only working out 4 times a week. Have it post workout in a shake and see how you feel. I was just in a conference chat last night with a protein guru talking about everything protein and all the science behind it. This is the guy giving the lecture - http://www.bnrg.com/inc_2company_kevin.asp
Transcript and more info here: http://www.smarthealthstore.com/shi/?sectionid=17
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby LostCause » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:27 pm

Thank you so much for your input
LostCause
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Lionking » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:58 pm

What is the opinion on Kashi GOLEAN shakes? Is there enough protein in them to be considered 'Protein' shakes? About 22g protein per serving....

http://www.kashi.com/shakes.aspx?SID=1&Category_ID=53&

Here's the ingredient list for chocolate. Vanilla is also available:

Soy Protein Concentrate, Evaporated Cane Juice, Gum Acacia, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Magnesium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Chicory Root Fiber, Sodium Ascorbate, Uva Ursi (Bearberry Extract), Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Grape Seed Extract, Panax ginseng, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione (Vitamin K), Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12.

I like the fact that there isn't any partially hydrogented - anything - and there's also no High Fructose Corn Syrup. Seriously HFCS is the #1 item on my shit list for causing fat gain instead of muscle gain.

Anyway, any thoughts?

-Out

:vonk:
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tadpole » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:51 pm

lol, my protein bars have 35g on protein in them...those are some weak protein shakes...
Tadpole
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Goose_Man » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:56 pm

Soy protein is inferior the whey isolate Lion, I'd go with something that uses whey instead of soy.

You're average shake will have 20-25g of protein per scoop.
Goose_Man
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Mop » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:01 pm

soy also has links to breast and prostate cancer - I would suggest keeping soy under 10 g a day even more so if possible. its very healthy but like most things we americans blow it out of proportion and make it unhealthy
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Lionking » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:13 am

Goose_Man wrote:Soy protein is inferior the whey isolate Lion, I'd go with something that uses whey instead of soy.

You're average shake will have 20-25g of protein per scoop.

Thanks for the insight, Goose. I'll look into the whey isolate stuff.
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lionking » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:14 am

Mop wrote:soy also has links to breast and prostate cancer

Did not know that. I've just read good things about soy so I'll have to reconsider some stuff. Thanks.
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:53 am

lots of negitive press on soy these days - need to be careful

"As little as a 5- to 8-ounce serving of soy milk a day has been proven to suppress thyroid function," says soy researcher and nutritionist Michael Fitzpatrick. Drs. Daniel Sheehan and Daniel Doerge, former senior researchers at the Food and Drug Administration, have strongly opposed the soy industry's proclamation that this humble bean is king. In a 1999 letter, the two scientists stated that rather than tout its health benefits, the FDA should attach a warning label to soy products. "The possibility that widely consumed soy products may cause harm in the human population via either or both estrogenic and [thyroid] activity is of concern," said Sheehan in a recently published study.

Approximately 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid dysfunction — and women are 10 times more likely to suffer from an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) than men. The most common symptoms of a hypothyroid patient are lethargy, weight gain, depression, inability to tolerate cold, dry skin, coarse hair and mental "fogginess."

The disorder usually occurs in women following childbirth and at the onset of menopause. By age 75, one in five women has a sluggish thyroid. Yet signs such as weight gain and lack of mental acuity are often chalked up to natural symptoms of the aging process.

The culprit in a high soy diet lies in the isoflavones found in the bean, in particular, genistein. Interestingly, this is the very same ingredient that's been enthusiastically promoted as the remedy for everything from heart disease to mood swings. New research shows otherwise. "The isoflavones in soy act like a hormone in the body," said Dr. Larrian Gillespie, a retired urologist and urogynecologist and author of "The Menopause Diet."(http://www.menopausediet.com) "In many women, especially those who eat large amounts of soy concentrates or take isoflavone supplements, this disturbs the body's hormonal balance, triggering or worsening thyroid problems."

and

"How much is too much?

While deep-pocketed soy marketers cook up even more ways to ingest the bean, there is, unfortunately, little data as what constitutes an appropriate level of soy intake. Soy Online Service cautions that even 30 milligrams of soy isoflavones a day can wreak havoc on the body's hormonal balance. It advises anyone with a predisposition to thyroid dysfunction to be particularly careful. If, indeed, the Asian diet is one to be emulated, then why not use soy the way they have for thousands of years: in moderation.

Thirty milligrams of soy isoflavones can be found in:

7 ounces of soybeans
4 ounces of tofu
8 ounces of soy milk
1.6 ounces of miso
2.8 ounces of soybean sprouts "

Source: http://www.goddessdiet.com/Reports/NYDailyNews.htm
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Adivina » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:48 pm

Thats scary, I consumed lots of soy products as a child.... vegitarian mommy~
Donnel wrote:
Erodalak wrote:Who needs an education when you are hawt like advina

fixt :P
Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby DESX » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:45 pm

liquidstayce wrote:Yes because chances are you are not getting in enough protein by just regular food. Whey protein is the way to go. It really helps to rebuild muscle even if you are only working out 4 times a week. Have it post workout in a shake and see how you feel. I was just in a conference chat last night with a protein guru talking about everything protein and all the science behind it. This is the guy giving the lecture - http://www.bnrg.com/inc_2company_kevin.asp
Transcript and more info here: http://www.smarthealthstore.com/shi/?sectionid=17

Your only supposed to work out 3 times a week ><. Anyway

So how much protein do you need? This question has been debated for years, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but based on studied research we’re going to stand firm on these recommendations.

As you know, if you weigh 200 pounds and you want to weigh 220 pounds, you have to eat like you're 220 pounds! You can't calculate your protein on your present body weight – you have to do it on your target weight.

So here is the formula that has worked for many:

Target bodyweight x 1.45 grams of protein per pound = daily protein intake

Now let's use the example of a 200 pound person wanting to mass up to 220 pounds.

The calculation would look like this:

220 pounds x 1.45 = 319 grams of protein per day.

That's the minimum it will take to really stack on the mass. Of course, when you weigh 220 pounds and want to go for 250, you'll have to calculate this again. Break this into seven protein servings, and you've got your protein requirements from food covered. Remember when preparing your diet plan that protein has 4 calories per gram.
DESX
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Goose_Man » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:05 pm

I work out 6 days a week! No one told me I can only do 3!!!
Goose_Man
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby DESX » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:32 pm

DESX
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Gaazy » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:25 pm

my old roommate plays football for a D1 school, and he used to crack raw eggs into his mouth for extra protein :ugh: I tried it once and it tasted like cold snot ><
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby liquidstayce » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:47 pm

Goose_Man wrote:I work out 6 days a week! No one told me I can only do 3!!!

ditto.. When I am at the top of my game I do 3-4 days resistance training and cardio 6 days a week. The days I lift I do less cardio 20-30 min. Days I do not lift 45-60min.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum