Flax Seed

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Flax Seed

Postby Tadpole » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:47 pm

Anyone ever try this stuff? How is it?
Tadpole
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jesus » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:43 am

How are the carrots doing you Tadpole?
Jesus
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Postby Martrae » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:04 pm

Supposed to be rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and lots of good fiber. Has to be milled to release the nutrients, though.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby liquidstayce » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:38 pm

Unless you grind it then it is worthless. Best bet is to get the Bob's Flaxseed Meal that is already grounded.. like powder form or buy a good Flaxseed Oil but make sure the oil is refrigerated in the store and store it in your fridge when you get home or else it isn't any good. Another good choices for oils is Udo's Blended Oil. I have flax seed meal daily because I don't get the omega from fish. It is really good for you.. a superfood! Great to put into protein shakes or on top of yogurt.

My post workout shake is this:
whey protein - (I like protein delite or isopure)
2 TB Bob's Flax Seed Meal
handful of frozen blueberries
sometimes add in 1/2 banana
sometimes will add in 1 TB of smuckers nat. peanut butter (the no sugar one)
4 oz skim milk

Check this out..... Can find in most grocery stores....
http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/inde ... uct_ID=175

and read about Udos here.. I get it in whole foods:
http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend.htm
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Goose_Man » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:42 pm

You eat fat in your post work out shake? I've been told that it’s not a great idea to use fats in your PWO shake and to stay away from fruits as well...

"You also want to stay far away from any fat and fructose sources post-workout. Fructose will not replenish muscle glycogen but rather will replenish liver glycogen. Fat severely delays digestion because it metabolically requires so many more processes to break down."

Check out this article regarding that: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/windowofopportunity.php

Loads of great info. I recently started following this recipe to a "T" and man o man have I started to notice phenomenal results.

Anyhow, yeah I use ground flax in anything I really can. I sprinkle it on my eggs in the morning or toss it in a chili mix that I make etc...

I also just drink the oil (tastes like total and complete ass). I found the best way to choke it down is to hold my nose and take a teaspoon of it and chase it right away with a shake of some sort to kill the nasty taste BLEH. But yeah make sure its cold pressed, shipped and stored refrigerated.

I recommend Barlean’s: http://www.barleans.com/
Goose_Man
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby liquidstayce » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:36 pm

I use to hang out at ABC. Articles are good but some of the people that post.. ugh.

In my case I have a finite amt of calories I can eat in a day because of the gastric bypass. It is critical that I look at the day as a whole as well as meal by meal. I am aware of the article you mention and agree that would apply to most but not necessarily in my case *today*. As I get further out I will be able to tolerate more calories and more types of food. Right now it is important that I hit a certain amt of fat and protein calories a day so thats why I add it in whenever I can. When you can only get in 1200 - 1500 calories a day plus you want to work out 6 days a week with lifting you really don't have a lot of choices.

Keep in mind I also malabsorb some of what I eat as well and have a shorter intestinal path then all of you. I digest less and what I do digest is faster.
On top of that I can't do more simple sugars. Some fruit seems to be ok though and that in itself does have health benefits. If I were to down a pack of GOO, add dexatrose, or have a lot of gatorade I run the risk of losing the ENTIRE meal all together because my body will dump it. With dumping syndrome that kind of sugar will make the contents of that shake move too rapidly through my small intestine and that is not my goal here. I want to slow things down. When it goes fast like that it shocks my liver and entire system. I get nausea, weakness, sweating, feel like fainting and diarrhea. Not fun!

I would NEVER down oil alone. That is just nasty. I did this stupid liver cleansing 3 day thing once at the encouragement of a natropath. EWW.. she had me do oil, garlic, and lemon juice drinks every morning.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Kramer » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:18 pm

i like Whole Foods Market's Flax Seed Muffins.... yummy
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Lionking » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 am

I agree, Bob's Red Mill FTW. You can use whole flax seed, but you have to soak them overnight in water to make them soluable enough to digest. You are much better off just buying the ground stuff.

I typically use flax in my morning oatmeal along with wheat germ some honey and some cinammon. All these items, flax, wheat germ, oats, honey and cinammon are 'superfoods'.

http://superfoodsrx.com/

-Out

:vonk:
    Lionking
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby Kramer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:22 am

those books look interesting

Anyone see the Discover article somtime last year where they discussed a food pyramid that had at its base primarily nut, seeds, and seed oils for fat content and then went up to vegetables, etc. with very little meat, etc.?

I cannot find this pyramid anywhere?
      Kramer
      NT Traveller
      NT Traveller

Postby Goose_Man » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:28 am

boybutter wrote:those books look interesting

Anyone see the Discover article somtime last year where they discussed a food pyramid that had at its base primarily nut, seeds, and seed oils for fat content and then went up to vegetables, etc. with very little meat, etc.?

Any diet with very little meat just doest seem right to me. I eat meat and lots of it!!!
      Goose_Man
      NT Patron
      NT Patron

Postby Lionking » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:44 am

Goose_Man wrote:
      boybutter wrote:those books look interesting

Any diet with very little meat just doest seem right to me. I eat meat and lots of it!!!

I don't think there's any problem eating meat. It's just the type of meat that you eat! I've gone primarily to all turkey or chicken. My particular plan allows for red meat once every 10 days, and in a small amount.
      Lionking
      NT Veteran
      NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 pm

Ya - That is what I am trying to do now too. Maybe red meat once a week to every other. I just started to add more very lean red meat back into my diet since I have an iron deficency. Also taking iron supplements 65 twice a day with some vitamin c to help absorption.
      ~stacy
      liquidstayce
      NT Veteran
      NT Veteran

Postby Kramer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:08 am

it doesn't call for totally cutting out meat, just gaining protein and fat from nuts, beans, and oils form these....

I also like meat but have cut back to turkey and chicken mostly.... I love some beef every once in a while but I find that I can't handle it If I eat too much, way too heavy....

and fried food is just out the window... being from the south I used to LOVE fried catfish, Fried chicken, Chicken fried steak, chicken fried chicken, fried okra....

can't handle much of that anymore, only in small amounts.. but that is a good thing
        Kramer
        NT Traveller
        NT Traveller

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum